PDA

View Full Version : help with shocks please..

ricksmx865
06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
my buddy just bought a 05 yfz and is looking for some shocks (when he bought it the right side a-arms and shock was trashed)

needless to say he is looking for a set of shocks

aside from finding a set of stockers and having them revalved what are some other shock options yall would suggest

he will be running both XC and MX races, mainly XC

also im not familiar with the yfz at all so what are some other years and stuff like that that would work if he did go the stock revalved route

thank,
bricks

yfzrider310
06-18-2008, 10:03 PM
well my elkas held up to a bent a arm (right at the mounting point) so there pretty good so far for xc racing. For stock revalves gt thunder does a really good job and I think c&d racing does it also. The triple rate on the standard travel elkas are nice because of how smooth of a ride it produces but the gt thunder are nice to if there tuned to your weight. Its all up to how much you want to spend and what features your buddy wants in a shock.

ricksmx865
06-19-2008, 05:40 PM
ya im trying to find him a set of stockers and then gonna have him send em off to be revalved, i had toby at moto-xperts do mine on my 450r and love them, but ive also heard fantastic things from gtt...

just gotta find him some stockers for a decent price

also there are some on ebay but what other years will fit the 05?

thanks

yfzrider310
06-19-2008, 05:47 PM
all years fit

ricksmx865
06-19-2008, 07:51 PM
^^^

thanks guys,
bricks

Dune Surfer
06-26-2008, 08:00 PM
TCS does a nice upgrade, by the way 04/05 are not the same as later years. I don't think they fit newer models

Thumper1220
06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about elka shocks, though I dont have much experience with them. However I have had experience with custom axis shocks and they are top notch. Elka and custom axis are about your best out there...better than fox and the others

If you are running standard travel a-arms you could save a bundle by just having your stockers re valved...and for stock yamaha they are a decent shock to get started with