PDA

View Full Version : Chain Problem

Ted
06-18-2008, 12:35 PM
My son was riding his 400EX Honda and the chain came off, it somehow came back up and now I have a link that is lodged against another between the front sprocket and rubber chain guard. It is very tight. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ohsobad_chevy
06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Can you get the chain guard off?

Ted
06-20-2008, 07:13 AM
I removed the guard on the outside, but have not attempted to remove the rubber one, I doubt it will budge as the chain is pretty solidly against it and the other link lying against the front socket.

Scro
06-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Put the quad in neutral to begin with. After this, try sticking your foot between the tire and the foot peg. Stand on the bottom part of the chain, and you may get lucky and it pop out. If not, stand the quad up and pull on the bottom of the chain.

If neither of these work, you'll have to take the front sprocket off.

ohsobad_chevy
06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Put the quad in neutral to begin with. After this, try sticking your foot between the tire and the foot peg. Stand on the bottom part of the chain, and you may get lucky and it pop out. If not, stand the quad up and pull on the bottom of the chain.

If neither of these work, you'll have to take the front sprocket off.

sounds like the best bet to me. WCS, you will have to pull the front sprocket.

Ted
06-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I know this is a dumb question but to remove the front drive sprocket do I just remove the two bolts? Or do I need to get a wheel puller? This is the first ATV we have ever owned and am unsure of all the maintenance procedures and techniques. Thanks again for all your help!

chadbarger18
06-20-2008, 12:44 PM
just the two screws
its hard as hell to get the chain to come out but it will eventually

big95xj
06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
I just put a new sprocket on my 440 yesterday. Its the two screws then it has an almost oval looking piece that the screws go through, that has to turn a lil bit so the splines line up so twist that and remove then the sprocket should pull right off. Good luck man!

John451
06-21-2008, 08:55 PM
If it's still on the back sprocket push it as far foward as u can then slam it back or have one person on each tire kneel on it and have their weight turning the tire to the back of the quad. Or prop it up and have 2 people basically hug the tire and turn it. Good luck. Chains suck.