PDA

View Full Version : Shut down problem in windows xp

jake48
06-18-2008, 07:22 AM
About 50% of the time I try to shut down my computer I get a "program not responding" and I have to end it now. The program is "ccSvcHst" this just started about a month ago. When it does this, it takes about 5 minutes for my system to fully shut down. It is getting annoying, does anybody know what this is or how to fix it? I have tried every kind of scan and fix tool that I know of. Repaired windows files, cleaned registry, cleared restore points, defrag, ran full Norton scan. Nothing seems to work. I keep my hard drive very clean and free of clutter and bloatware. I have no clue what triggered this error.

- Windows XP Pro w/all updates
- Norton 360 w/all updates

Here is my hardware
- Motherboard - Chipset Intel i945P Dell Inc. 0FJ030
- Pentium D 3.2 GHz W/2 cores

Can anyone help me out?

sparksmakefire
06-18-2008, 07:34 AM
You may not have a floppydisk station, where the option that Norton should scan this station at shutdown is probably enabled. Disable this option, if you do not have a floppydisk station, also disable this in your bios.

300EX_HMF
06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
remove the program and reinstall it if u have a disk to reinstall it with

beaker1214
06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
take norton off and use a virus scan that actually catches viruses, haha. I would switch to something better like McAfee or even go with AVG that is free. Its unbelievable how much stuff norton misses.

jrohner
06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
That "ccSvcHst" file you mentioned is part of Norton, so uninstall Norton and Install AVG-Free.

Also, Norton/Symantec products slow computers down considerably. If you've ever noticed that you can't do anything on your computer when you first boot into windows and have to wait a couple minutes, thats Norton for you.

Getting rid of Norton is like 'upgrading' your computer!

<DRS>GPF
06-18-2008, 04:11 PM
i found this:

CCsvchst.exe error message during shutdown .. by gl861
Check this link,Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I understand from your message that ccApp.exe file is not responding in Norton Antivirus (NAV) 2007.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. Please note that this issue can occur due to corrupted Windows temporary files or if Norton Antivirus (NAV) feature try's to scan floppy drive for virus during shutdown. In order to resolve this issue, I suggest you please follow the steps provided below:

-- Start Norton Antivirus (NAV) 2007
-- Select Auto protect under "Settings"
-- Select configure
-- Under real-time Protection,Select General settings.
-- In the right pane, uncheck "Scan floppy disk in A: for boot viruses when shutting down."
-- Click ok
-- Restart the computer.

06-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by jrohner
Getting rid of Norton is like 'upgrading' your computer!

i agree, i used to have norton and i monitored the processes and how much commit charge and CPU were being taken up. When it expired I deleted Norton and got AVG free. What do you know my computer started like lightning and ran good.

8my_Cash
06-23-2008, 01:46 PM
yea its a setting in norton, feel sorry for you ahving norton lol it works great sometimes but slows your computer down like vista

06-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Norton is gay...End of story.

AVG for the win.

trx310R#24
06-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by 8my_Cash
yea its a setting in norton, feel sorry for you ahving norton lol it works great sometimes but slows your computer down like vista

my vista computers not slow... its a week old my gf has an older vista computer an its slow as hell so i think they changed somthing to make it faster

jrohner
06-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
my vista computers not slow... its a week old my gf has an older vista computer an its slow as hell

It's brand new, it better not be slow...yet anyway.

i think they changed somEthing to make it faster
Yeah, you just said what's changed...faster cpu, faster/more memory, etc.

Microsoft has yet to do anything to increase the performance of Vista. XP will probably always be faster than Vista. Vista is really bad for games.

8my_Cash
06-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by jrohner
It's brand new, it better not be slow...yet anyway.

vista is actually an amazing OS, this is coming from an IT professional ( yes im a computer nerd).

biggest problem that it had was the glitches and that when it was put on the market the newest computers werent ready to use it, mainly not enough RAM to run vista fast. Vista was tooo revolutionary haha

But now that technology has caught up and new computers are becoming much more faster and cheaper, vista has the room it needs to run properly

oh and good old windows updates helped a lot

jrohner
06-24-2008, 07:00 AM
All I do is put the nice vista-type taskbar and clock in winxp which gets rid of xp's butt-ugly 'start' button. I used vista some, but it blows for gaming -- so much slower frame rates, and no it's not just me saying that its everyone. I have a very fast system.

jrohner
06-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by 8my_Cash

biggest problem that it had was the glitches and that when it was put on the market the newest computers werent ready to use it, mainly not enough RAM to run vista fast. Vista was tooo revolutionary haha

I like when I go to fix someones computer and it has the 'designed for windows xp' sticker and it only has 128MB of RAM. To even have that sticker, 512MB minimum should have been required. It's nice to have to wait 3+ minutes after it boots up before being able to even click anything on the computer; it actually seems just like they have a norton/symantec security program installed. ;)

jake48
06-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
i found this:

CCsvchst.exe error message during shutdown .. by gl861
Check this link,Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

I understand from your message that ccApp.exe file is not responding in Norton Antivirus (NAV) 2007.

I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. Please note that this issue can occur due to corrupted Windows temporary files or if Norton Antivirus (NAV) feature try's to scan floppy drive for virus during shutdown. In order to resolve this issue, I suggest you please follow the steps provided below:

-- Start Norton Antivirus (NAV) 2007
-- Select Auto protect under "Settings"
-- Select configure
-- Under real-time Protection,Select General settings.
-- In the right pane, uncheck "Scan floppy disk in A: for boot viruses when shutting down."
-- Click ok
-- Restart the computer.

Thanks for the reply,

I tried what you said , but problem is the same. Now I am planing to uninstall norton and install other anti-virus. So guys do you have any recommendations ?

jrohner
06-30-2008, 08:23 AM
AVG Free