View Full Version : clear coat help

400exrider139
06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I need your help i painted my a arms with rustolium and the turned out nice except when i put the clear coat on the paint started to wrinkle up i need to know what i did wrong?:confused:

nevadanotch
06-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Your clear coat is incompatible with your base coat. This is what happens when you mix two different types of resin based paints (like painting over an acrylic enamel with a lacquer). When you re-paint your A-arms make sure the base and clear coat are from the same manufacturer and are compatible.

Honda#4
06-18-2008, 06:40 AM
I agree^^ Gotta start over with it now.

400exrider139
06-18-2008, 12:20 PM
I used rustolium gloss black protective enamal and rustolium crystal clear enamal clear coat

Honda#4
06-18-2008, 12:26 PM
You probably didnt let the paint dry long enough for the clear to stick too or you sprayed the clear to fast.

mooseracerX
06-18-2008, 12:34 PM
I think he let the other paint dry too long, we've had that exact same problem. When we let the paint dry completely and then shoot another coat of the same paint it did that too. If I was you I would sand blast and get some Krylon and start over.

nevadanotch
06-18-2008, 02:29 PM
If you are using compatible paints then you may have clear coated your parts in the wrong window of time. As moosracerx mentioned, some paints are prone to wrinkling if not applied in the proper time frame. Check the directions on both cans, make sure you have the proper substrate to work with. All of your coatings have to be compatible, including your primer.

HondaRaceReady
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I paint cars for a living and think I can help. First, you have to sand the a-arms. Sand them with 320-400 grit sand paper and use an etch coat primer. Put on 3-4 light coats. When that is dry, sand it lightly with 600 grit sandpaper. Don't take off the primer, you're just trying to put enough scratches for the acid in your paint to bite to. Clean off the dust and paint it, then while it is wet, clear it. I'm guessing it wrinkled on you because you didn't take it down to bare metal and prime it, you just painted over it. Also, if any solvents get under the paint, like wet primer, it will wrinkle. You may not want to do all this, but this is the right way to get an awesome finish.

400exrider139
06-18-2008, 07:42 PM
so when i paint it i put the clear on while the paint is still wet:confused:

mooseracerX
06-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes thats what we did and it turned out nice.