PDA

View Full Version : What engines will fit in a blaster??

John451
06-17-2008, 07:37 PM
I gota cheap blaster and oil's leaking into the crank it could be the seal but if its the case i want to put a big engine in it, like cr500 or streetbike engine. Im gona learn to weld soon and i have people that can so welding isnt a problem. Anyone know which enngines will fit directly in? Banshee? 300+2 stroke 400+ 4 stroke.

400exrider707
06-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by John451
I gota cheap blaster and oil's leaking into the crank it could be the seal but if its the case i want to put a big engine in it, like cr500 or streetbike engine. Im gona learn to weld soon and i have people that can so welding isnt a problem. Anyone know which enngines will fit directly in? Banshee? 300+2 stroke 400+ 4 stroke.

Nothing will "directly" fit in. I'm sure with enough time and energy you can put in whatever you want. The problem is the frame is small to fit a small motor, and even once you put a bigger motor in, it will tear that frame apart. If you do manage to get a big motor in, and keep the frame together, the chassis just cant handle the power, it will handle funny, traction will be an issue, brakes are crap without a lot of power so more power is going to make that even worse.... and the list goes on. If you wanted to do a project like this, you're better off starting with a better platform like a 400ex frame.

It's also usually harder to put a four stroke into a two stroke frame. Two strokes are lighter and the motors are typically shorter in height. So putting a larger heavier four stroke into a small two stroke frame doesn't work very good.

John451
06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I kinda figured i couldnt fit a 4 stroke in but i was wondering if there was some engine that would directly fit first off or one that was close and the sprockets would line up. But yeah, that's basically any motor that you can cram in the engine compartment. I was just thinkin of doin it with this one because i have it and it needs an engine. But i think i'll go for the stock motor.

400exrider707
06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I kinda figured i couldnt fit a 4 stroke in but i was wondering if there was some engine that would directly fit first off or one that was close and the sprockets would line up. But yeah, that's basically any motor that you can cram in the engine compartment. I was just thinkin of doin it with this one because i have it and it needs an engine. But i think i'll go for the stock motor.

I can understand where you're coming from, and I'm not trying to stray you away from trying a project like this, but it should be understood that it will require a lot of work. A lot of little things get over looked when building a hybrid and it can be frustrating if you didn't plan for something.

jrohner
06-18-2008, 12:12 PM
The DT200 engine is a liquid-cooled version of the Blaster engine. It has nearly double the power of a Blaster (over 30hp vs 17). It would be a hard to find engine, but would be an amazing upgrade for the Blaster.

John451
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by jrohner
The DT200 engine is a liquid-cooled version of the Blaster engine. It has nearly double the power of a Blaster (over 30hp vs 17). It would be a hard to find engine, but would be an amazing upgrade for the Blaster.

Lol blaster's only 17hp? screw that. It mite not be worth it to replace the crank bearings then.

jrohner
06-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Lol blaster's only 17hp? screw that. It mite not be worth it to replace the crank bearings then.

They definately are not a powerhouse, but they are decent in the first 3 gears or so, or for messing around in the woods.

If you are near 6' tall, have fun fitting on the blaster -- my knees were against the front fenders on mine. I moved to a 300ex and am glad I did.

Whatever you do engine wise, when you do get it going:
I used to ride a blaster, and an awesome improvement was putting on a 400ex rear shock -- it made it ride like it should've from the factory. It pretty much fits right on if you remove the airbox lid.

Good Luck.

John451
06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by jrohner
They definately are not a powerhouse, but they are decent in the first 3 gears or so, or for messing around in the woods.

If you are near 6' tall, have fun fitting on the blaster -- my knees were against the front fenders on mine. I moved to a 300ex and am glad I did.

Whatever you do engine wise, when you do get it going:
I used to ride a blaster, and an awesome improvement was putting on a 400ex rear shock -- it made it ride like it should've from the factory. It pretty much fits right on if you remove the airbox lid.

Good Luck.

Lol yeahhh, i'm 6' and its hell sittin on it. I hadda 300 ex, actually sold it last weekend, and that was too small. I just got the blaster for a quick project, but lol not so quick anymore....

ZSNOW
06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
put a YZF250 motor in it. caleb moore had one back in the day, i saw a video of it haha, it used to bounce off the rev limiter all the time but it was sooooo fast!

jdd3098
06-21-2008, 08:05 AM
I have seen a YZ 250 dirtbike motor in a blaster frame. It was quick as balls, but that frame isnt as good as the 250R frames. I have seen it done. Good luck!

sparksmakefire
06-21-2008, 08:52 AM
the only motors that will directly line up in a blaster is a blasater motor and a dt200 motor that were not made in the USA australia and canada had them. they are a blaster bottom end with liquid cooling. you will have to make a radiator fit. they are VERY pricey and put out around 33 horsepower i believe

jrohner
06-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Supposedly the the canada ones were called dt200 and the australia ones were called wr200. I've seen some places say 31hp and some say 33hp, either way it would be an awesome upgrade. If I could come across one, I'd definately do it to one of my blasters.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060423171555/www.macdizzy.com/yfsdt_2003.htm

John451
06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah, the wr's are coming back i havent really seen them for sale but i saw a show where they had 08's. But Thanks for the help, i actually just got the engine running. Blasters sound sweet without a pipe. My clutch refuses to work after i took it out and i cant figure out why. its makin me mad. if thhere are any ideas of what it might be it would be appreaciated. The runnning problem was the crank seal tore apart and was dumping oil into the crank and feeding it oil in the mixed gas.

deathman53
06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
If you can get them, yz400, 465 and 490 motors are nearly bolt-in and don't look all too different. You will get near 50 horses with those motors. But as others said, the chassis can't handle all that power. I believe air-cooled yz250's are the same story. Also the dirtbike motors being non-counterbalanced.

John451
06-22-2008, 07:22 PM
The 490 would be sick in a quad, they're barely bearable as a bike. Plus the blaster has a lighter frame than the stock 490. Dam i wish i could get a hold of one of those. I got the blaster engine runnin tho but the clutch just wont work.

John451
06-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks alot. I'm going to try to find a 490 engine to put in it. Someone already did it so i know it can be done and can last at least 10 hours because that's what he has put on it so far. If anyone knows where to get one let me know. Id be looking for the engine, carb, and pipe. Heres a pic.

John451
06-29-2008, 08:55 PM
*****INNN!!!

deathman53
06-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't suggest the 490 motor, the 465 was alot better. From I read, the 490 is hard to jet right and has detonation problems. Alot of people like the 465 motor over the 490, if you can get a 400, those run really good also. My friend had a wr500(yz490 motor) and it either ran wide open or nothing. They vibrate alot too. I rode a yz400 and it was great, nothing peaky and kinda smooth. The suspension was pretty stone ago, tho.

John451
06-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, i couldnt find a 490. I'll try to find a 400 or 465 cuz 490's a wee bit rediculous anyways i wouldnt mind the little loss in power. You could gear that so high so it would go like 120. If anyone knows where to get one of those if you could send me a link that would be great. Do those engines bolt right in or do i need to weld some stuff?