PDA

View Full Version : 300ex drag racer

sparks427
06-17-2008, 06:19 PM
hey all, i know theres a bunch of forums on drag racing i've done the searches. i on the other hand havnt found any that have any good info on doin drags w/ a 300ex, i know alot of you out there think its pointless which is alright i'm just the kinda person to see how big and fast i can make what ever it is i have around. if i would have done it right i would have just bought a 400 or 450 but, when money come into play i have a 300 which is just perfect for me. i was just curious if anybody out there has any info on what i could or should or need to do to make it somthin fun to go drag racing with. i dont care about winning, even though that would be nice, i just want to have fun w/ it and i've done trails and mx w/ it and now its time to drag race it. we have a asphalt track w/ a pit road they have drag races on, on friday nights and i wanna take it down there but i know right now it aint worth a darn so just tryin to get info i got a pretty good idea as far as motor goes but like suspension goes. what kinda wheelie bars, tires, swingers, you get the idea. so if anybody can help me i'd apreciate it. thanx guys.

kukerdan
07-01-2008, 09:38 AM
first work on the engine

Get header / full exhaust,

Open that air box up,

Jet accordingly,
or get a 400EX carb

Bore it out as big as you can, 330 i believe.

Work the head (port / polish)
Valves / Cam

Clutch kit

Raise the gears up, more teeth in front sprocket, or less in rear.

You can get an extended swingarm

if you want

I forget if the shocks are adjustable, but tighten them up so you get less squat off the line.

Make sure everything is rolling straight and smooth. might be time for new rims, and wheel / axle bearings

you can shave the front fenders
for a better view of the wheel and for
less wind resistance

Get rid of whatever parts you dont need to save weight.

Im sure you will more than surpise
the people you are racing after this

sparks427
07-01-2008, 01:04 PM
alright, heres what i got as of now.

stock motor, full sparks x-4 exhaust, sparks jet kit, fly handel bars for the cr dirt bike, douglas red tag wheels front and rear, shaved front fenders, air box is open w/ a k&n filter. i cant remember what else but ya thats pretty much it.

what i was thinkin was a 380/390 kit from four stroke tech, bigger valves for the bigger motor, cam, oil cooler, scoops for the cooler and a scooped hood for the oil cooler, a +6 burgard swing arm, not sure about front end but was gonna lower it w/ aftermarket front shocks and a strut in the rear, a wheelie bar. if theres somthin else i'm missin or know how big on the valves and cam to go that would be helpfull.

honda300EXtreme
07-01-2008, 10:11 PM
it seems like budget is not a major issue, so heres what i suggest

first, make a decision on what bore you want to run
FST sells a 380 or a 385 (cant remember which) big bore kit,
remember this bore will require clerancing of your inner cases to accept the larger sleeve, anything over 11:1 will require race fuel

on a 300ex a majority of your power can be obtained through head work, +1 mm valves ( intake and exhaust will allow greater air flow) and agressive port & flow work will be neccessary, also on that size re-shaping the dome will allow for more efficiency/ power,

also find the right carb, at minimum a 400ex carb, a 39mm fcr would probably work well in this case or even a 37mm fcr would work good,

you need to find the right cam for your style of riding, a stage 4 web-cam or a custom grind would suit you best

playing with the gearing will come with the territory, 14 up front and a 36 or even a 33 in the rear.

swingarm, at most a +4 should be fine

suspension wise, the options are endless it all depends on how much you really want to spend

and a oil cooler will be neccessary cuse this set-up will run HOT

any questions let me know ill do my best to help

honda300EXtreme
07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
also
you will need HD valve springs and hardweld rockers with any hardweld cam

and i would replace the clutches, or at least install HD clutch springs

sparks427
07-02-2008, 05:38 AM
thanks alot, sounds good to me. i may still ride trails w/ it too so i'm gonna try to keep it fairly reliable but i duno i havnt done anythign or comitted but i do know i wanna do the 380/390 fst big bore kitw/ cam and valves and rockers and stuff like that so. but thank you for your help.