PDA

View Full Version : Jetting Recomendations... help

Hondamaster5505
06-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok.

Well, Since I haven't jetted my quad for the exhaust yet, I'm planning on going to pick up some jets for my quad. At the same time, I want more power. I'm going to jet my quad with the airbox lid off, because I have this giant ProDesign dual-stage foam filter, so im not too worried about the elements.

Now, the quad seems to run pretty damn good with the stock jets, just pops a little on decel. I was originally going to throw in a 152 main with a 40 pilot.

Now that I decided to take the lid off, I need recomendations for jetting. Not sure how much higher to go without the lid.

hornetgod13
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
158K Main and a 42K Pilot. Plug check afterwards. Don't forget to go down to the 4th slot on the needle too.

Hondamaster5505
06-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
158K Main and a 42K Pilot. Plug check afterwards. Don't forget to go down to the 4th slot on the needle too.

The 05 needle aint adjustable...:(

Should I just buy an older needle?

Hondamaster5505
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
...anyone?

I think ill go with Hornetgods suggestion first, and play with it from there.

Do I need the needle though? Or should I buy the older style adjustable.

RaginRedneck
06-17-2008, 07:19 PM
I had an adjustable needle come in my jet kit, so I am assuming that you can buy a needle separate as well. Ask whomever you are buying the jets from if they sell the needles by themselves.

hornetgod13
06-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I bought an adjustable needle for a 1999-2004 model.

You could shim the 05' needle with a small washer or two under the non-adjustable clip.

Another option is you can buy a carb rebuild kit from www.jetrus.com According to the picture on their website, it comes with an adjustable needle.

leasureryan
06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't understand how all you guys are running so lean, with these little jets you are using. Mine is just guzzling the fuel, with just pipe and EHS filter lid. I have the main at 168, 45 pilot, and needle 3rd clip screw 4 out, and I am still getting a ton of backfire from this thing. Which means I am still lean on the pilot circutit, which is how I have always inturpreted it....correct? I also pulled the plug after about 4 hours ride time at these settings and it was white. Still lean?????

hornetgod13
06-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
I don't understand how all you guys are running so lean, with these little jets you are using. Mine is just guzzling the fuel, with just pipe and EHS filter lid. I have the main at 168, 45 pilot, and needle 3rd clip screw 4 out, and I am still getting a ton of backfire from this thing. Which means I am still lean on the pilot circutit, which is how I have always inturpreted it....correct? I also pulled the plug after about 4 hours ride time at these settings and it was white. Still lean?????

Those jets sound rich (real rich) but, each quad is different. It's possible to be rich on one circuit and be lean on one or both of the others. Is your airboot connected correctly? The carb is connected securely? I think you might have an air leak/connectivity issue. Inspect the airflow components.

Side note. Mt Vernon is just up the road from where I grew up (Sunbury). I drive through your town every time I'm home. Go Bucks!

RaginRedneck
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan

That does sound like really rich settings, did a previous owner do some engine work maybe?? But, like hornetgod13 said, each quad is different. I would definetly check for air leaks though.

Just my .02

Hondamaster5505
06-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I bought an adjustable needle for a 1999-2004 model.

You could shim the 05' needle with a small washer or two under the non-adjustable clip.

Another option is you can buy a carb rebuild kit from www.jetrus.com According to the picture on their website, it comes with an adjustable needle.

Thanks! Ill try the washer thing first.

Hondamaster5505
07-15-2008, 08:38 AM
ok, bump for a second.

im pulling the carb off today, so im getting jets tomorow or this weekend.

Mine seems to run really good in the mid-range and top end. Even low end. But when Im decelerating it pops when you get into the lower rpm.

now, if was probably just going to go with a bigger pilot and maybe a washer under the clip. But, with the filter, should I definitely try a 158k main and 42pilot with a washer under the non adjustable clip?

Thanks for the help so far guys. i really appreciate it.

UNBROKEN
07-15-2008, 06:32 PM
with my mods im running a 152 main and 42 pilot with no chock or lid with a uni filter and it runs perfect no bog or sputter , so i would def go with a 42 pilot and take off the chock for ure main well i had a 155 in mine and it ened up being alittle to rich and ran better with a 152 so for ure elevation im not sure on the main

alltorquedup
07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm with leasureryan. I got my 400 a few months old and I'm the only one to rip into it. It has a hmf slip on, Ehs lid, advance key, and a K&N. I'm running a 168k with a small small spacer under the needle. I started with 155k like almost everyone else runs and it ran better and better as I put bigger jets in. I got it up to a 172k with the needle without a spacer, which started to seem alittle rich. I got an adjustable needle from jetsrus then and tried the 4th slot and that made midrange way too rich. Maybe thats why some people run smaller mains, I would of had to back the main down pretty much to run with it in the 4th slot. I put the nonadjustable needle back and ran a real small, almost tin, spacer and dropped down to the 168k and I think it runs real good. I think it's better than when I had it at a 170k and the needle in the middle. This is what I found works for me, hope it helps you.

Hondamaster5505
07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
already jetted. check my other thread about the carb. went with a 155 main and 42 pilot, runs good

f4iracer
11-25-2009, 12:22 PM
did you shim the needle wish a washer?

jasonwayne222
11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
if ur popping on decel also wanna check for exhaust leaks.

jasonwayne222
11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
if ur popping on decel also wanna check for exhaust leaks.