PDA

View Full Version : After Market Bumpers vs. Headlight

Bkillerp
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I am interested in buying an after market front bumper for my LTR, however I do a lot of night riding and most of the after market bumpers block a considerable amount of light from the headlight. The stock bumper is the only one I’ve found that doesn’t get in the way. I’m not willing to sacrifice light for just a cool looking bumper. Any ideas?

CEOR
06-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Try going for an aftermarket set of lights mounted to your bars.
Lights in the direction that you steer! Just a old Baja trick. It's cool, I'm being a smartass. But seriously, try it on it's own toggle switch. You might like the way it works. Then you probally can make the decision to remove the stock lighting system. Now you can choose the front bumper of choice. Hope this might help you out.

Bkillerp
06-18-2008, 12:25 AM
I have considered that and I know there are a couple of units out there that mount on the handel bars, but the cons I see so far is that I have already invested in the HID conversion for my headlight and I don't like lights mounted on the handel bars honestly, plus they can be pretty costly. I know a guy with a set of HID lights mounted on his bars (one is flood and the other is long range) and they work great, but they tend to over heat he says. In addition, I don't want to spend $200.00+ dollars on a set of headlights so I can mount an $80.00 bumper if you know what I mean. Also, with the HID I already have installed, plus the whip light, and 12 piece accent light kit I have installed, I'm not sure if I can mount one or two more powerful lights without overloading the stator. I can't even find an after market stator to support this stuff. I think I' am already pushin it. I'm just lookin to spend about a hundred bucks or so and call it good. If I can't find anything that will work for that, I'll probably just stick with the stock bumper.

CEOR
06-18-2008, 12:40 AM
I understand your situation. I live in the mojave desert and we do ALOT of night riding here once it cools off during our summer months. Try looking into some of the manufacturers that supply lights to the "Harley Guys". Lazer lights inc. if I remember right.
It's been a few years. They have some cool stuff that utilizes different types of lamps that dont over heat, and you can run them off your stock stator. Other than that, we like to schedule some of our get-together rides during a calender full moon. No lights needed! Awsome!!!

trx310R#24
06-20-2008, 09:00 PM
if you can wait a month or 2 im going to be selling bumpers an im lowering the ds bumper so maybe i can lower the ltr bumper a littlie bit...

how much is it in the way

Bkillerp
06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
The stock bumper isn't in the way at all, so as long as it is no taller then that it shouldn't be a problem. That sounds interesting though. I'd like to see it.

exrider12
06-21-2008, 04:29 PM
try the suzuki bumper they sell. it has a little place for the headlight to show through.

416HondaEX
07-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Get the pro armor mx bumper, my buddy just bought it for his LTR and it doesn't block the light at all and provides good protection, also doesn't stick out too far so if you hit a jump it won't dig in.

mat1977
07-08-2008, 05:13 PM
^^Thats what I have.I dont really like Pro Armor stuff that much,but its a pretty nice looking bumper.I dont run a headlight but It would'nt block it at all.

Bkillerp
08-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks all! I put the Pro Armor MX bumper on and it worked out perfectly! It doesn’t get in the way of the headlight at all! It looks good too.