PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm bolt removal!!!!!

w.va rider
06-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Well my bearings went bad so i decided to replace them. I went to KSR and the owner said that the 400s are bad about the bolt sticking in there. He said he had to take it and use a machine press to get it out. $150 was about the price to just use the machine! I was riding and turned hard left and the front sprocket and chain came off. So i called KSR again and he said to put the fourwheeler on its side and use pb blaster and soak it for a couple of days. Well I turned the bolt and it all moved except where it go through the left side of the swingarm so its broke there. How the F^( K am i going to get it out? PLZ help.

hornetgod13
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
This is a common issue. Help threads pop up weekly. Use the search feature and you will find over 20 threads with advice and tips on how to remove the bolt. Good luck!

See for yourself. Help with Swingarm Removal Threads (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1918525&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

drew416ex
06-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Also, when you put a new one in, put some anti seize on it. I put it on mine and after three years, I was able to take it out by hand with no hammering.

jeepthing07
06-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I just had this happen on my EX and the dealer just serviced the swingarm 3 rides aro from the person i bought it from... mine was stuck in the sleeve on the left side of the frame. i soaked it in pb blaster beat on it with a hammer got it to move about 1/2 inch and couldn't get it to do anything else not even go back in!

So i thought i would just drill that side out till there was basically no bolt left and pull what was left f the rod that was free from the frame. so i drilled it out but then i couldn't find the right size bit to get the job finished and i found a piece of metal rod i had laying around and it fit perfectly in the hole i drilled and it stopped where the drill bit stopped drilling about 5 inches or so inside the bolt.

so i stuck the rod in there and started beating on it with a hammer and the rod got stuck and i was like oh $hit! now if i have to drill i don't have a hole to keep it perfectly centered so i just went for it. i locked a pair of vice grips on the end of the rod (to hold while i beat to keep it from bending it, it stuck out about 10") and started beating the hell out of it with a 5 pound hammer and it came out after about 5 minutes of beating.