PDA

View Full Version : Residue from headpipe normal?

kazuaki
06-16-2008, 10:35 PM
My son's new liquid-cooled DRX 90 has a black fluid leaking and splattering out from the junction between the headpipe and the exhaust, where the springs are under the motor. Is this normal?
It is making a mess of the frame and some is even getting up on the right foot board. Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks

drr5
06-17-2008, 07:57 AM
what oil are you using and what ratio? have you checked the two exhaust blts that connect the headpipe to the cylinder these quads seem to be prone to those bolts loosening up, but on any 2 stroke this would be considered preventive maintanance, as far as the oil we had the same issue with most oils until we switched to amsoil synthetic, imo synthetics burn much cleaner with less residue

kazuaki
06-17-2008, 09:45 AM
The headpipe to cylinder gasket area is clean. The leakage is further down wher the headpipe connects with the springs to the rest of the exhaust. I am running Castor 927 at about 32:1. The quads smokes a fair amount, so I think it's a little rich still. Is it anything to be worried about?

cardinalhvac
06-17-2008, 03:52 PM
They all leak there. we run 50:1 amsoil synthetic and still have residue at that joint. nothing to worry about but if it is dripping sounds like she's a little rich. do a plug read and see how she's running.

forgiven
06-17-2008, 04:19 PM
It will do this for a little bit to start out with.