PDA

View Full Version : New to the 250 Scene

mustangguy6703
06-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I bought an 87 250 the other day that is in excellent shape and i was needing some advice on what i can do to make it faster. It has a header pipe, fmf gold series fatty, fmf power core 2 silencer, boysen reeds(i think not to sure tho) wiseco bored 20 over piston and is ported and polished. It has the stock 34mm carb and stock gears also. I was wondering what would be the best setup to make it faster. Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks Eric

mineralgrey01gt
06-16-2008, 08:55 PM
38mm airstryker carb for sure. Those things make a nice difference. Also try a port job or aftermarket cylinder 265+

All250R
06-16-2008, 09:02 PM
First thing is to go through and make sure what is running is in good shape. Usually reeds are the wear item that make the most impact on performance and easy starting. Replace worn cables and tires. Lube the chassis points that need it and replace all fluids (not that there are many).

People don't like to hear it, but the first thing you should do before bolting on go-fast goodies or porting is have the motor completely inspected and replace any worn items such as badly worn gears, crankshaft, and most likely replacing any worn or loose bearings and seals. These motors are around 20 years old and they are warriors but they're not meant to last forever. I've pulled apart 4 bottoms ends recently that had the original center case gasket in them. Only one needed a crank, one was down because he finally blew the countershaft big bearing, and they all needed most of the bearings replaced. You don't want 10 more hp and discover your new motor is blowing up under you with a snapped crank rod or the clutch is slipping because the springs are past the service limit. It really doesn't make sense. Go through or have someone go through the motor first, even if the guy told you it was solid. You'll be glad when it's clean, leak free and you have peace of mind.

tg413
06-17-2008, 06:09 AM
+1 thats solid advice......It's nice to know what "you" have in your machine.......

tg413
06-17-2008, 06:09 AM
+1 thats solid advice......It's nice to know what "you" have in your machine.......

mustangguy6703
06-17-2008, 07:02 AM
He told me that the bottom end had just been gone through with a new crank and bearings. The bike had no leaks on it at all. The guy was 37 and his dad owned a dealer in St Louis for years. The clutches and everything are tight and dont slip a bit for what it has done to it. It is in really really good shape and he told me and he is a very reputible guy that i got it from that he never took it through water cause it was his baby but he had to get rid of it cause of his blown knee and neck injury from a cr500 accident. The chain is in great shape but the gears are gettin wore some tho. Any more advice would be greatly appriciated.

86 Quad R
06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
All250R is correct. dont take anything for granted. i'm speaking from experience when i tell ya to check over the quad well. check all chassis bearings, bushings, ball joints and ect. get familiar with doing routine maintanance which includes and isnt limited to doing compression checks, leakdown tests, reed inspections, carb jetting ect.

the last thing that ya want to do is to start bolting add-ons just to have it take a big ole good one on you. :cool:

mustangguy6703
06-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah thats a good idea. i have a brand new engine also to put in if anything goes wrong with this one that is in it now. What is the best kind of struff to do to get the best performance for the money, carb, jetting, reeds, gear reduction and cdi box. which of them is the best for low end power. I have plenty of top end and would sacrifice some top for bottom.