PDA

View Full Version : Mistake in Dirtwheels

Mxbubs
12-01-2002, 01:49 PM
In this month's issue of dirtwheels, they did an axle review. The guy writing the review said, regarding the rad titanium axle "titanium flexes more, so it can help your suspension".

This is wrong, titanium is extremely brittle and hard, and does not flex anything like chromoly.

4TraxRider
12-01-2002, 03:42 PM
What i dont get about a lot of axle shootouts is how well the durablues do. After I bent my stock axle, i got the heavy duty and snapped it the second ride. Then I got the Elimintator and snapped that the first trip to diamondback.I got the replacement for it and that one snapped also. Then they told me you can only have one replacement. That is bull****! Now i got the lonestar and havn't had a problem.

Honda2003
12-01-2002, 03:50 PM
are the aftermarcket axles like durablues,and lonestars lighter than stock axles?

4TraxRider
12-01-2002, 03:56 PM
mine was like a pound or two lighter i think.

Sparks425Ex
12-01-2002, 04:00 PM
What do you expect. It is Dirt Wheels. They once said the 400Ex has reverse.

I only read ATV Sport. Much better stuff.

Nausty
12-01-2002, 04:21 PM
yeah I see mistakes in dirt wheels and atv action all the time. I think the reason durablue does so good in the "shootouts" is because all of the adds they have and pry cuz they pay off the mags. They use the same parts for project quads too as in works shocks, durablue axle, graydon proline exhaust and nerfs, ect.

forum
12-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Not only that. the shotouts are such BS. One isue they will say one thing then the other isue something totaly different about the same atv. Its all a load.!

phatswinn
12-01-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by NACS425Ex
What do you expect. It is Dirt Wheels. They once said the 400Ex has reverse.

I only read ATV Sport. Much better stuff.

exactly, and in 4 wheel atv action where the guy on here has the mojave he modded to he!!, he got no credit at all, it was just about FSTs motor, works shocks, dura blue axle are all the best ect.. i thought it coulda at least been credited to him sorry just ticked me off, also the z400 won the shootout against the rapturd, and not for gearbox trouble, but because its new, i just dont get it...atv sport does it right dirt wheels sucks

TORO1968
12-01-2002, 07:15 PM
I've been reading Dirt Wheels and 4 Wheel ATV Action for a number of years, and it really seems like they've gone to $h!t. I was gonna get a new subscription to Dirt Wheels, but it doesn't even seem worth the money. I need to check out ATV Sport; I've flipped through it, but never sat down and read what they had to say. Are they biased to any brands like DW?

Being biased like that pisses me off so much! I mean, how can Dirt Wheels claim the Z400 as the best sport quad of all time when the 250R from over 15 years ago can run right with it? No doubt, the Z400 is a good machine, I almost bought one myself, but come on, the best of all time??? I don't think so...

What's next, a shootout between a new 50cc mini-quad and a Raptor?? If the bribe is big enough the mini-quad will win! Stupid f**kers...

HEY DIRT WHEELS IF YOU READ THIS, WHY DON'T YOU WRITE GOOD ARTICLES LIKE YOU USED TO BACK IN THE 80's??? :blah

Looks like my subscription money may be headed to ATV Sport instead! :D

-Jordan

crashinmatt
12-01-2002, 07:17 PM
i just got done readin the sand shootout in the new dirtwheels, and unless i read it wrong, the z400s motor had more snappiness than the banshee. actually they all did. now that sounds like some crap to me. all i do is read the mags just cuz i like readin about the sport. not for whats better.

d-14 rider 27
12-01-2002, 10:41 PM
at least dirtwheels gots a fancy new binding :D lol

Chef
12-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by d-14 rider 27
at least dirtwheels gots a fancy new binding :D lol

Thats always a plus!:D

ChadEXer
12-02-2002, 09:08 AM
I was reading in ATV Sport about the titanium frame that Lonestar was making and Keith Little said " I dont know if its less weight, or the frame flexing that helps it hook up better" Titanium is a brittle metal but it looks like to me it does flex!!!

Extremeracer167
12-02-2002, 10:47 AM
I really like it how the Z gets like......3rd or 4 in all the tests, but still wins the shootout. And they even say it wins in the dunes:rolleyes: Give me a break. They even say a raptor is like the 2nd best handler in the bunch. Yeah ide like to go screaming across the dunes on a quad that is as high as it is wide. I personally think raptors handle worth ***** they arent worth a dime.

Mxbubs
12-02-2002, 11:32 AM
I never said titanium doesnt flex, but I will say it does not flex no where near like chromoly.

Rastus
12-02-2002, 12:16 PM
I don't buy some of the mags for info....mostly for the pics!

The only mag I really read is ATV sport, they seem to be non-biased, and have good information...too bad they don't have that nice binding.:( By the time im done reading the mag, it's falling apart.

phatswinn
12-02-2002, 04:46 PM
yup dirt wheels got the cool new binding and thats so cool, when my atv sport falls apart i take the pics and put them on my binders, only 250rs and EX's though,a nd the occational dune banshee

Live2Ride300
12-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Ya dirtwheels seems to be all adds now, i bet alot of companys are paying them off to write articles and make their products sound awesome, its b.s. When ever there is a new quad out they make it sound like its better then all other quads out there, especially the Z, suzuki must be paying dirtwheels to write that crap. Ive had a subscription to dirthwheels for like 4 years now, im thinking i want to change it over to ATV sport...

airheadedduner
12-02-2002, 05:30 PM
Are you sure he didn't say that because the Ti frame don't flex it handles better?? Thats one reason of the c-dales razor handleing is the aluminum twin spar frame is so ridgid, same with when Honda made the CR's frame alumium.

86atc250r
12-02-2002, 09:05 PM
Titanium, flex???

Do your research - guess what those ultra flexible eye glasses frames are made of....

To categorize Titanium as brittle is extremely far from correct, even when comparing it to 4130.

In just roughly going over the figures, the modulus of steel and titanium show that Titanium is roughly half as stiff as steel, yet it's yeild point is nearly the same (both can vary by about the same amount, depending on the type used), it's specific gravity is roughly 60%, and has better elongation numbers.

What does this mean in english? It means that with identical construction Titanium will flex roughly twice as much as steel, while handling about the same load without permanently bending. It will weigh in about 40% less and have less of a chance of breakage.

Mxbubs
12-02-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Titanium, flex???

Do your research - guess what those ultra flexible eye glasses frames are made of....

To categorize Titanium as brittle is extremely far from correct, even when comparing it to 4130.

In just roughly going over the figures, the modulus of steel and titanium show that Titanium is roughly half as stiff as steel, yet it's yeild point is nearly the same (both can vary by about the same amount, depending on the type used), it's specific gravity is roughly 60%, and has better elongation numbers.

What does this mean in english? It means that with identical construction Titanium will flex roughly twice as much as steel, while handling about the same load without permanently bending. It will weigh in about 40% less and have less of a chance of breakage.

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it wasnt for you, no one would ever disagree.........hehe:D

I stand by what I said. I just got finished with an 8 hour class "Properties of Metals" @Associated Builders and Contractors, I go to school at night, studying Millwright, Welding and Machining. All my instructors and books agree, titanium is a hard to poor welding metal, and is extremely brittle. I know this to be true because my dad made me a titanium pivot bolt and it crack, and broke to pieces.........with no welds on it at all.

86atc250r
12-02-2002, 09:58 PM
Not much to disagree about - elongation, yeild point, modulus, etc will tell you the properties of a given metal...

We weren't discussing welding, we were discussing material.

Construction methods, and/or improper welding may make the material seem "brittle", but you may need to go back and study your materials again if you believe titanium to be a "brittle" material - or go to your local "Lenscrafter's" and check out some of their titanium eye glass frames.

Mxbubs
12-02-2002, 10:08 PM
The titanium they used is an alloy grade. Titanium in its pure form is extremely brittle. Titanium is alloyed with many other metals to make it weldable, and more ducticle. I did my research, do yours. Hehe, just kidding.:D

Check out Titanium.org, follow the links.

Im not a fan of titanium when it comes to atv parts.

beerock
12-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Wheres john arens at?:cool:

ChadEXer
12-03-2002, 07:41 AM
I know that Titanuim flexes easily but I have read many places that say its also brittle???? Quote from ATV Sport about Lonestars Ti frame " Some said the frame would never work, titanium has a reputation for being very brittle-especially when welded"

exriderdude
12-03-2002, 08:04 AM
yep, you guys got the idea, ATV Sport is the best:macho

86atc250r
12-03-2002, 08:23 AM
Brittle welds stem from contamination.

A Titanium ATV frame would be perfectly fine if constructed properly (i.e. proper size tubing and thickness, not trying to make it too light, and probably a few other considerations) and if welded properly.

Ti is used in applications far more stressful than our ATV ever see (i.e. stealth bomber), and is considered an excellent material for it's strength, weight, fatigue resistance, and flex characteristics in the construction of high performance tubular bicycle frames.

It's all about choosing the proper alloy for the application. Various alloys have different properties that suit them to their application.

Mxbubs
12-03-2002, 03:15 PM
"It's all about choosing the proper alloy for the application. Various alloys have different properties that suit them to their application."

You said it best.:D

bigbadbrad
12-03-2002, 06:52 PM
uh i have titanum glasses and they dont flex worth sh*t. they dont bend or nothing
but they are wicked light

86atc250r
12-03-2002, 06:57 PM
The ones I was referring to have the frames that you can practically wrap around your finger and will return to their original shape without trouble.

The flex frames are more expensive than pure titanium and have nickel content - but are not hypoallergenic like the pure Ti ones are.