PDA

View Full Version : long travel front, stock rear. fine?

jomama
06-16-2008, 06:51 PM
with my long travel fox gibson setup coming i'm starting to wonder if itll be fine for a while with the stock rear suspension. will it sit wierd? this is just for this weekends race.

rollie
06-16-2008, 08:08 PM
You'll be fine. The rear end will probably sit higher and you might need a little adjusting but no big deal, I wouldnt want to run that set up for a whole season though!

jomama
06-16-2008, 08:23 PM
ok thanks rollie.

MX450
06-16-2008, 10:28 PM
or you may look into having someone revalve your rear shock, wont be as good as an aftermarket setup, but it will but alot better than stock, and it will sit lower

400exrider707
06-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by MX450
or you may look into having someone revalve your rear shock, wont be as good as an aftermarket setup,

I disagree, but it's just my opinion. You can get the high flow pistons which will outflow any aftermarket shock...

It may sit on its own tires, but I wouldn't ride it that way. Your front end will sit lower than your rear, and that can be very dangerous.

BlaineKaiser450
06-17-2008, 04:17 PM
I am currently running a LT motowz front end, with a stock rear, and I dropped the rear a little bit and it works OK. It annoying as hell though when the rear bottoms out and the front just keeps on going down haha

06-17-2008, 06:02 PM
I hear alot of good things about the GT Thunder rear conversion and it isn't all that much money. I know of alot of really good riders running them.

WB450r
06-17-2008, 08:08 PM
i have had my LT smc/motowoz frontend for about 4 or 5 months with stock rear and it rides fine...ive raced alot also and havent had a problem..i havent really noticed the rear sittin higher than the front...

dont mean to jack the thread but exactly how do u lower the rear...

thanks

400exrider707
06-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by WB450r
i have had my LT smc/motowoz frontend for about 4 or 5 months with stock rear and it rides fine...ive raced alot also and havent had a problem..i havent really noticed the rear sittin higher than the front...

dont mean to jack the thread but exactly how do u lower the rear...

thanks

"The best you've ridden is the best you know"

Put a rear shock on it and then switch back to the stocker and then come here and tell us all again how it rides fine.

The GT Thunder rear shock rides excellent. I just recently sent mine off to C&D for some freshening up and it rides even nicer now. I run all three C&D rebuilds (fronts and rear) with a GT Thunder MX linkage. Rides awesome and I still stand by my word that it is one of the nicest setups you can get for these bikes (including price into that factor as well) There are some really nice setups out there, but I cant justify spending nearly $3K when I got all this done for under $1K

d3ktrix
06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
I rode a stock rear shock for a little while when I got my LT front end. I HATED it.
The front was all plush and smooth, and the rear was just a harsh bucking death trap.
You'd hit an obstacle, the fronts would totally absorb the impact, the frame wouldn't move. Then the back tires would hit the obstacle and the bike would hit u in the spine.

I got the rear redone by GTT w/ link soon after, well worth the money.
Made the bike better balanced and almost totally eliminated the bucking.
Rode that for about a half a season then got an LT rear.

IMO, if u can't get the front and rear upgraded at the same time, get the rear first. It matters more =)

BlaineKaiser450
06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
I rode a stock rear shock for a little while when I got my LT front end. I HATED it.
The front was all plush and smooth, and the rear was just a harsh bucking death trap.
You'd hit an obstacle, the fronts would totally absorb the impact, the frame wouldn't move. Then the back tires would hit the obstacle and the bike would hit u in the spine.
I hate how that always happens

AZ440ex
08-26-2008, 08:40 AM
I ran a rebuilt rear for a bit with a long travel front and would have to agree the front eats up everything and the rear just can't keep up, especially after a full moto, it just starts to fade out. I switched to an Axis dual rate and would never go back!!! It plants the rear end and soaks up the whoops. A good aftermarket shock is worth it if the money allows. I got mine off ebay and had Axis rebuild it for me, total cost was $420. Not bad for a $900 dolar shock