PDA

View Full Version : so the rumor is.........

trx400EXtreme
06-16-2008, 12:16 PM
the saudis are going to attempt to drill for more oil, and environmentalists are going to let us use oil from alaska. it was on the news last night, this could be good news for gas prices.

fastredrider44
06-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Not holdiong my breath. Now that they see we pay $4 for a gallon, they're never going to lower back down the way it should be.

KXRida
06-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Not holdiong my breath. Now that they see we pay $4 for a gallon, they're never going to lower back down the way it should be.

Most likely. I don't foresee gas prices going down anytime soon.

ZeroLogic
06-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Yippie! They will charge us more tax on gas because they got to spend money on drilling and whatnot.:p

coryatver
06-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Once they start working on getting alaska oil, it will take 30 years before it comes online

06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Once they start working on getting alaska oil, it will take 30 years before it comes online

truth

ZeroLogic
06-16-2008, 06:34 PM
What ever happened to the oil in Montana?

A A R O N
06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
What ever happened to the oil in Montana?

I took it.

troyleepred719
06-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I forsee gas as a logical reason for a revolution, not that it will ever happen....

One_Bad_400
06-16-2008, 10:20 PM
suposibly the rumor i hurd is that the prices of gas should be going down soon becasue the oil companies are lossing money in the long run becasue no one is driving anymore, RV's have come to a halt and no one is buying it becasue it is so expencive... this weekend at VA national it was about 100 racers short due to gas prices.. if the gas goes down.. people will use it again

eastcoastpro20
06-16-2008, 10:28 PM
were gettin ready to test for oil on our farm
there is a very very small chnce of there bein oil but you never know till you test for it and its never been tested before.

06-16-2008, 11:06 PM
anyone hear or see how much oil is in colorado? its crazy!!!!!! sadly they wont pump it out though

Aarons 01 400EX
06-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I find it funny that the liberals wont allow the US to drill for oil off our coast, but will allow China and Cuba to do it.

Anyone listen to Sean Hannity today? So many questions about the US policies and no reasonable answers...

MX450
06-17-2008, 09:24 AM
liberals were created by the devil

RideRed84
06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Gas will not stay at $4 forever. The economy is almost at a stand still and our economy is starting to effect the world economy. The oil companies are starting to feel the effects of limited driving. I know I have cancelled 2 riding trips and haven't put my boat in the water. Also I drive my fiancee's car to work which gets 27 mpg instead of my F-150. They will lower prices in the next year or so and when our dollar comes back prices will stay down.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by RideRed84
Gas will not stay at $4 forever. The economy is almost at a stand still and our economy is starting to effect the world economy. The oil companies are starting to feel the effects of limited driving. I know I have cancelled 2 riding trips and haven't put my boat in the water. Also I drive my fiancee's car to work which gets 27 mpg instead of my F-150. They will lower prices in the next year or so and when our dollar comes back prices will stay down.

The housing market should make a shift in about 9-12 months and this will help the economy too. The stock market helped push the price of crude up and hopefully with the increased production it will help lower the barrel price.

06-17-2008, 04:10 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367642,00.html

ZeroLogic
06-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,367642,00.html

Neat but that would probably take to much time to make.:ermm:

Quadfather
06-17-2008, 06:25 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but Canada is the number one oil supplier to the US, with Mexico a close second.

deathman53
06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Aarons 01 400EX
The stock market helped push the price of crude up and hopefully with the increased production it will help lower the barrel price.

Oil is controled by a world price and that is controlled by the people that trade stocks in futures funds. That is whats driving the price of fuel, wheat, corn and almsot everything else up. Right now, the market is at an "inflated" high. The market will burst and when that happens, oil will fall to almost 1/2 its current price. Sometime ago, rice climbed to something like $30, from ~$5, the market bursted, it settled at $14. Oil will do the same thing.

The value of the U.S dollar will help oil prices too, as that is the currenlty its traded in. The dropping value of the U.S dollar isn't helping oil price any.

KingpinsEx
06-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
The market will burst and when that happens, oil will fall to almost 1/2 its current price. Sometime ago, rice climbed to something like $30, from ~$5, the market bursted, it settled at $14. Oil will do the same thing.

I don't see that happening...it might go down eventually(not anytime soon) but will not go down to 50 dollars a barrel. I can't see comparing rice to oil :confused:

mudrunner35
06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather
I hate to burst your bubble, but Canada is the number one oil supplier to the US, with Mexico a close second.

YEAH!!! get your own oil ya bunch of freeloaders eh!! ;) :p

Quad18star
06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think it will go down to prices we've seen in the recent past. If anything I think it will settle back down around $3.50 for you guys but no lower. The demand for the oil is there and with the companies putting limits on how much they produce and not bringing new areas on-line , this only helps to keep the prices high.

China's boom right now is not helping with the prices of oil ..... they need a lot of it to fuel their projects right now. Also more and more Asians are buying vehicles ... countless millions of cars per year being put on the roads ... this is also driving crude prices. And if that's not enough , wars being waged right now is causing "instability" which affects the prices.

You can't really compare the food crisis to the oil crisis . The issue with the rice , is because more and more Asian farmers are now moving to the cities or selling of their land for development... thus causing a shortage of growing areas which puts a HUGE strain on the World market.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Corn isn't at a shortage level. We are using the majority of it for ethanol, which causes the price of of corn to increase to consumers. Then we have the farmers that are getting paid by the gov't not to farm. Kind of ironic....

rundrave
06-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Corn isn't at a shortage level. We are using the majority of it for ethanol, which causes the price of of corn to increase to consumers.

Your statement couldnt be further from the truth. The majority of corn is not being used for ethanol.

Why is it that all you hear about from you un informed people is the negatives about ethanol, but you never give any better alternatives?

Ethanol is a viable option which is renewable and puts dollars in american's pockets instead of the middle east. Please don't be an opponent of ethanol unless you have the facts straight.

Why are you so willing to overlook how OIL is affecting the price of everything, not just food? Ethanol affects the price of corn which in return affects the price of food by a small amount compared to OIL. I just ask that you get the facts and try to understand it before being against it.

Again I don't want to beat on this subject too much, but corn prices rising has not affected the costs of food near as much as what the higher price of a barrell of oil will. Think about it, you have to transport the food, thats whats driving the price up.

trx310R#24
06-18-2008, 11:39 PM
environmentalists:
are so dumb but if they let us drill here we will be paying about $0.19 a gal. that would be sweet! then we can go back to big as$ cars!

trx310R#24
06-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather

lol when in 80's

trx310R#24
06-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by RideRed84

i would never let gas keep me from riding! when i dont ride for a week or more i start to feel like hell an hate the world then i go for a ride an i feel great! it just makes me for get about everything.....

i wish my dad didnt sell his boat! can you say yacht club partys!
that could have been my summer home this year

Aarons 01 400EX
06-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by rundrave
Your statement couldnt be further from the truth. The majority of corn is not being used for ethanol.

Again I don't want to beat on this subject too much, but corn prices rising has not affected the costs of food near as much as what the higher price of a barrell of oil will. Think about it, you have to transport the food, thats whats driving the price up.

I don't think you understand the effects of supply and demand.

Corn demand is up to use for ethanol. This means that more farmers are planting corn, instead of wheat, soy, and other products. This means that the supply of other ag. products are in short supply which causes an increase in prices of these products.

And since more corn is being used for ethanol, the cost of corn for feed for cattle, pork, or any other livestock has increased.

Then to add insult to injury, the flooding in the midwest will cause not only the price of gas to jump, but you will see a price in products at the grocery store. Prices of wheat, soy and other products may fall later because farmers will plant these products instead of corn this year, due to the flooding.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-19-2008, 11:57 AM
double post

RideRed84
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
i would never let gas keep me from riding! when i dont ride for a week or more i start to feel like hell an hate the world then i go for a ride an i feel great! it just makes me for get about everything.....

i wish my dad didnt sell his boat! can you say yacht club partys!
that could have been my summer home this year
Yacht club party's? No wonder you would never let gas prices stop you from riding. Sounds like you have more money and less bills than me.

duke416ex
06-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I don' think you fully understand the market on crops. Yes, the flooding is having a great impact on it, but also the drought from last year is having a big affect. Keep in mind that not only a lot of our crop, but also a lot of the South American crop was hurt too. Many seed companies barely had enough seed to sell to farmers to plant, let alone keeping what they needed to plant for this years supply.

You need to remember that like earlier mentioned how much fuel prices affect crops. Getting it to the market is only part of it, input costs to put out a crop have more than tripled in one year, that counts fertilizer, fuel, and chemicals have went up also.

You combine higher input costs, last years bad crop, the fact that some of the biggest corn states in the country have lost atleast 30% of their crop, the fact that most of what is grown here is shipped to other countries and you end up with higher prices.

As far as switching to other crops, the planting window is pretty much over with. What is planted is done, it is to late to change what is in the ground or replant what has been destroyed so far. Ethanol is taking some of the corn, but not near enough to be changing the market.

Quad18star
06-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't think you understand the effects of supply and demand.

Corn demand is up to use for ethanol. This means that more farmers are planting corn, instead of wheat, soy, and other products. This means that the supply of other ag. products are in short supply which causes an increase in prices of these products.

And since more corn is being used for ethanol, the cost of corn for feed for cattle, pork, or any other livestock has increased.

Then to add insult to injury, the flooding in the midwest will cause not only the price of gas to jump, but you will see a price in products at the grocery store. Prices of wheat, soy and other products may fall later because farmers will plant these products instead of corn this year, due to the flooding.

Exactly !!!!!

I heard an interesting little fact the other day ..... did you know it takes 480 lbs of corn to produce 25 gallons of fuel ..... and that 480lbs of corn is enough to support 1 human life for 1 year. It would be a pretty slim diet , but it is enough to sustain life for 1 year for 1 person.

Now how many people are going hungry in the US at this moment?

Now I'm not at all against ethanol , because it is a cleaner alternative to crude oil .... but now that farmers are selling their crops to make ethanol instead of putting food on the tables of the people ... that kind of irks me. :ermm:

Quad18star
06-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
lol when in 80's

In the 2000's.

Speaking of the 80's ... you weren't even around in the 80's ... you have no say in the subject. :cool:

rollie
06-19-2008, 03:00 PM
This is probably a stupid question but allow my uneducated about this topic mind to ask it! haha

If oil is really just like bones,trees and rocks that break down over millions and millions of years to create this oil, then why cant we take that and speed up the process, so we can make as much of it as we want? i assume its not that easy just thinking out loud

duke416ex
06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Exactly !!!!!

I heard an interesting little fact the other day ..... did you know it takes 480 lbs of corn to produce 25 gallons of fuel ..... and that 480lbs of corn is enough to support 1 human life for 1 year. It would be a pretty slim diet , but it is enough to sustain life for 1 year for 1 person.

Now how many people are going hungry in the US at this moment?

Now I'm not at all against ethanol , because it is a cleaner alternative to crude oil .... but now that farmers are selling their crops to make ethanol instead of putting food on the tables of the people ... that kind of irks me. :ermm:

It seems like people are thinking that once the ethanol is made that is all that is left when in fact it is not. You still have what is called distillers grain. Same thing that is left after making whiskey. This makes a very good feed source for livestock so actually you are getting a renewable fuel and still able to feed livestock with the leftovers.

This is not a new process, just kinda the way the media is delivering it to people. People get mad when we make something that can help everyone like ethanol, but it doesn't bother them to take corn and make whiskey?????

duke416ex
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by rollie
This is probably a stupid question but allow my uneducated about this topic mind to ask it! haha

If oil is really just like bones,trees and rocks that break down over millions and millions of years to create this oil, then why cant we take that and speed up the process, so we can make as much of it as we want? i assume its not that easy just thinking out loud

There are processes out there to convert coal into fuel and at a good conversion ratio best I remember. The technology is out there, it is just not widely published.

Ruby Soho
06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
im sure theres plenty of technology and ways to fix all these problems we have.

but there not open to the public. why? i dont know..

8my_Cash
06-23-2008, 01:19 PM
gas prices are most likely never going to really come down... if anything they are going to stabalize

by the time any new explorartion of new oil hits the markets it will take about 5 years to do so, this means any new oil we start to drill or look for will take 5 years to even hit the market.

prices will most likely peak and stabalize if anything, the 99cents a gallon and 1.50$ a gallon days are most likely gone.

as for ethanol the biggest problem is that it cannot replace gas. if we replaced gas with ethanol we would need to use every available farm field to grow an ethanol producing crop which in turn would equal no food.

the biggest kicker with ethanol is that there are new discoveries in different type of plants mainly a type of weed that grows naturally in horrible areas and conditions that produces almost 9 energy units for every 1 unit put into converting it to ethanol.

corn ethanol is around 1.5 to 2 units for every 1 unit.

now with all this in mind it comes down to cost. for anything to be an alternative it needs to be cheaper than oil to make people switch. imagine if e85 was 1.25 a gallon while gas was 3.95 a gallon.... you would see a huge demand for e85 ready vehicles and cost effective was to swithc your current vehicle over to e85.

but is it like that ....no, not right now.

also another problem is making this alternative readily avaliable.

think of that new hydrogen hybrid honda made... how many of you know a station that has a hydrogen fill station ready for cars.....exactly relatively useless right now and thats why you cant buy that car anywhere else except Cali.

all in all we are screw..... haha im kiddin its really going to come down to us consumers, we need to change out habbits. no buying gast on "may 15th" is going to do nothing because may 16th you will buy the gas that you needed on the 15th lol.

if you want prices to change time to not drive as much, like what has been stated before OPEC is getting nervous because people are not driving as much so now they are trying to supply side fix the price of oil.

sorry for rambling on im bored at work and figured I would provide my knowledge of things i caught on to over the years

not saying its all accurate but its what i found :)

8my_Cash
06-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
im sure theres plenty of technology and ways to fix all these problems we have.

but there not open to the public. why? i dont know..

this is because most new technologies fail beause of the lack of implementation or poor implementation, there are alot of stuff out there but they are not the most cost effective way in doing so.

duke416ex
06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
To add to what you are saying another reason ethanol isn't the full answer is the fact that the largest majority of vehicles on the road cannot run on it. Even many of the new cars still are not set up to burn ethanol.