PDA

View Full Version : suspension questions

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
ok, im in serious need of some shocks
i gotta a couple questions b4 i buy nething
1. i probbly will buy shocks first, and a arms after, but will shocks set up for standard lenght a arms work on +1 a arms in the future and vice versa?
2. i dont wanna spend more than 500 bucks on the shocks, so wat is the best shocks for that much?
3. i see alot of works on ebay and the classifieds here, are they any good?
the riding ill be doing is mx and some xc, the biggest jump is 65'.

06-16-2008, 11:30 AM
450r rebuilds

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 11:32 AM
dont rele want 450r shocks. i like to see my rezzies haha
thanks for the fast response

trx400EXtreme
06-16-2008, 12:00 PM
rebuilt 450r shocks are going to be better than any set of works that are under 500 bucks. works will def. be better than stock though.

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 12:16 PM
i see you have peps, wat do u think of them? do they hold up to mx abuse?

miller821
06-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
dont rele want 450r shocks. i like to see my rezzies haha
thanks for the fast response

450r shocks do have rezzies..

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
450r shocks do have rezzies..
yes i kno, but theyre placed behind the shock. im picky wat can i say haha

06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
yes i kno, but theyre placed behind the shock. im picky wat can i say haha

lol thats a dumb reason not to get them. Having them behind the shock makes it harder for it to get hit

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 12:31 PM
wat can i say man, i like wat i like.
can any1 answer my question bout the standard travel shocks workin on +1 a arms? or vice versa. long travel shocks workin on standard lenght a arms?

DementeD
06-16-2008, 12:31 PM
i just picked up some works at steelers triple rate with rezzies for pretty cheap..look to be in good condition havent tried them out just yet though..

and really for under 500 thats about all your going to get

like most have pointed out u can get 450r's..but about 200 for that then 350-400 to get them revalved/resprung for ur weight..and well ur at 550-600 bucks

i havent had a chance to use the works just yet but i cant see them being worse then the 450rs especially when price is considered..

one hijacking question..
when people say the works arent that great etc?...are u referring to the very low end 300dollar shocks with no rezzies..or even the more expensive 500-600 dollar triple rate with rezzies as well??

just a lil confused about this if all works are not that great or just the very low end that most people end upgetting cuz of the price???

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DementeD
i just picked up some works at steelers triple rate with rezzies for pretty cheap..look to be in good condition havent tried them out just yet though..

and really for under 500 thats about all your going to get

like most have pointed out u can get 450r's..but about 200 for that then 350-400 to get them revalved/resprung for ur weight..and well ur at 550-600 bucks

i havent had a chance to use the works just yet but i cant see them being worse then the 450rs especially when price is considered..

one hijacking question..
when people say the works arent that great etc?...are u referring to the very low end 300dollar shocks with no rezzies..or even the more expensive 500-600 dollar triple rate with rezzies as well??

just a lil confused about this if all works are not that great or just the very low end that most people end upgetting cuz of the price???

exactly wat im sayin, i can buy a pair of elka on here for 600 and it be better than buit 450 shocks
im talkin bout the remote rezzies as well, not the pogo sticks hahaha

trx400EXtreme
06-16-2008, 12:38 PM
i see you have peps, wat do u think of them? do they hold up to mx abuse? so far they're GREAT. they were $650. they are the worst model pep makes and i still love them. just recently me and my cousin went on i riding trip. i cased a 4th gear step up HARD. my rear shock bottemed out, but the peps handled it very well. they also corner very well, that fear of flipping in corners that i had with my stock shocks is gone with these, and im still running stock a arms.

06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Rebuilt 450r shocks are supposed to be better than Works and lower end Elka. Plus when you buy used shocks how often are they setup exactly for you? I bought my 450r fronts for $125 shipped. Then for new springs, seals, oil, valving changes all for me and custom... its like how can you go wrong? My 450r shocks as they sit work great! I spent time adjusting them and making them do what I want them too and they are pretty smooth.

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 12:50 PM
now all i need is 650 bucks haha
seriously tho, i might jus save up more and go with some new peps or some used elkas.
i already made my mind up that I am not getting 450r shocks
no offence to ne1 that has them but i dont want em

trx400EXtreme
06-16-2008, 12:55 PM
o btw, if you want piggybacks, they're 760, its 650 for remote rezzies.

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 01:24 PM
ok
another questions. will any type of shock made for the 450r fit the 400ex? such as elka, axis, tcs? will it require me to shave the shock like the stock 450 shocks

06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
they should fit but it isnt practical to use them because they are setup for a different a-arm

trx400EXtreme
06-16-2008, 01:30 PM
yea any kinda of shock (standard travel) should fit on a 400ex, but its just not that practical.

DementeD
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Rebuilt 450r shocks are supposed to be better than Works and lower end Elka. Plus when you buy used shocks how often are they setup exactly for you? I bought my 450r fronts for $125 shipped. Then for new springs, seals, oil, valving changes all for me and custom... its like how can you go wrong? My 450r shocks as they sit work great! I spent time adjusting them and making them do what I want them too and they are pretty smooth.
i just dont see how a stock shock can be better then an aftermarket shock..and like i said i dont mean the cheap 300 setup..
im talkin works 600dollar a-t steeler tripple rate with rezzies..

and actually the works i found are setup for my weight so i did get lucky on that..i dont do anything crazy just trail/small jumps for now so i think they will work fine

trx400EXtreme
06-16-2008, 03:05 PM
the stock shock is not better, the rebuilt stock shock can be though. depending on who rebuilds them, they are normally built to aftermarket spec.

DementeD
06-16-2008, 03:15 PM
i just went and installed my shocks..i got a few questions..

the rezzies..how do u guys normally mount them.
i dont mean like with what..
but if i installed the shock with the hose facing inward it would hit the top mount..so i had to install them with the hose facing outward and now it seems like i wont have enough play to mount them correctly?...

basically id just like to see some peoples shocks with mounted rezzies to see how u face ur hose etc..

OR..how do u twist the fitting of the hose to aim the way ud like..

i have no experience with this and i dont want to break nething by tuggin to hard etc..ty..

powermadd400ex
06-16-2008, 08:39 PM
ok, been searchin around i think i mightve found some a arms for cheap.
has ne1 heard of armadillo a arms? rcatv sells them i kno that much.
theyre +2 , so if i buy them ill have to run stock shocks for a lil while. how would this effect my ride? softer? harder? i kno i kno noobish questions.

06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
+2 a-arms with stock shocks dont even bother putting them on until you get new shocks. stock 400ex shocks are soft and crapy as it is with +2 hitting a whoop even with the preload set all the way might bottom out

trx400EXtreme
06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by DementeD
i just went and installed my shocks..i got a few questions..

the rezzies..how do u guys normally mount them.
i dont mean like with what..
but if i installed the shock with the hose facing inward it would hit the top mount..so i had to install them with the hose facing outward and now it seems like i wont have enough play to mount them correctly?...

basically id just like to see some peoples shocks with mounted rezzies to see how u face ur hose etc..

OR..how do u twist the fitting of the hose to aim the way ud like..

i have no experience with this and i dont want to break nething by tuggin to hard etc..ty.. are you saying that it seems like the hoses are to stiff to pull over to the frame? well if so, then thats fine, just muscle them over and eventually after being mounted like that for a while they will have memory of meing bent that way. mine were VERY stiff when i got them. my hoses are going away from the frame and i just pulled them over and clamped them. heres a pic.

DementeD
06-16-2008, 10:19 PM
ahh...thank you very much..same thing i need to do but ..like said i didnt want to muscle em too much and break something..

so i didnt test ride it yet but ..i guess tomorrow ill clamp them in there and go drive it a bit..
cant to much around the neighborhood..cops everywhere lately..

AZ440ex
06-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Running stock shocks with +2 A-arms will not be the best. It will make them too soft.

Unless you are doing serious racing the lower end shocks will probably be fine for you. Whatever you buy make sure they are set up for you and your "true" riding ability. You have to be honest with the shock builder or you will end up with the wrong valving and springs.

As for where to mount rezi's. here is a pic.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh124/az440ex/ImportedPhotos00010.jpg

AZ440ex
06-17-2008, 09:36 AM
One more

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh124/az440ex/ImportedPhotos00005-1.jpg

powermadd400ex
06-17-2008, 10:16 AM
i decided to hold off on a arms till i get decent shocks.
that good lookin set up!!

06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
the gibson/axis setup is my favorite setup based on looks and functionality. havent had a chnace to ride one yet but i'm sure its great

trx400EXtreme
06-17-2008, 02:19 PM
gibson is definately one of my favorite front ands. its a close second behind PEP/Roll design.:macho

powermadd400ex
06-17-2008, 02:21 PM
my dream front end is roll/fox

AZ440ex
06-17-2008, 02:58 PM
The Gibson is a nice ride, little pricy but it was worth it.

If you buy used just make sure the joints are not cashed. If the are go to a bearing shop. The Gison rebuid kit is like 400$$$ when you can get the same bearings local or ebay much cheaper.

powermadd400ex
06-17-2008, 06:30 PM
ok gotta question
im lookin at a pair of axis's as well as some peps
which one is better quality (paying no attetion to prices)
which would be better benefit my riding style. mostly rough trails, and ALOT of mx

AZ440ex
06-17-2008, 07:13 PM
ok gotta question
im lookin at a pair of axis's as well as some peps
which one is better quality (paying no attetion to prices)
which would be better benefit my riding style. mostly rough trails, and ALOT of mx

I think both use pretty quality parts. Keep in mind MX set up generally is not the best for trails. Mine is set for A level MX and when I ride trails is is a bit more stiff than I would like but in the track it is perfect!

powermadd400ex
06-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by AZ440ex
I think both use pretty quality parts. Keep in mind MX set up generally is not the best for trails. Mine is set for A level MX and when I ride trails is is a bit more stiff than I would like but in the track it is perfect!

i can handle that, i ride so hard on trails, im convinced i might need a mx set up.

trx400EXtreme
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
quality...? both are are GREAT products. it all comes down to what you like. they can both fit your riding style because both are built from the ground up for your riding style, weight, a arm length, etc..

Honda#4
06-18-2008, 06:56 AM
I got a MX setup cuz im an agressive rider and the stock shocks were making me mad so I found a good deal on a Roll/Axis front end and that has made a big difference. You cant go wrong if you go with Custom Axis there great shocks.

powermadd400ex
07-04-2008, 10:19 AM
ok im bringin this thread back up.
so i decided to jus buy new shocks rather than used. buy heres my question
im lookin at some "elka recreational shocks" (no rezzie). i was thinkin i could go ahead and buy those and buy the "rezzie kit" when i get more cash. but would i have to send the shocks somewhere to put the rez on or could i do it myself. another question, how much would the rezzie kit cost? i cant find it on ANY WEBSITE?
if it cost an assload to get the rez then ill jus buy some fox floats.

vAnS_77
07-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Well, HONESTLY. Just save your money and get the nicest pair of elka's you can get. Remember elka sells THE BEST shocks, but for 3600 round trip package for a 450r. Elka IMO are the best shocks, they offer the best costumer support. They called me +3 times to get the order right to make sure its correct. Very personal if you like that kind of service. I just bought a rear elite with high/low adj comp. Arms, you really just have to buy a decent pair from a known aftermarket company. Gibson, LSR, Laeger, Roll Design. Are some of the best companys out there that offer arm's for a 400ex for under 600!! NEW. Pick wisely, once you go a brand its a price descion. Ride on.

Honda#4
07-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Gibson, LSR, Laeger, Roll Design. Are some of the best companys out there that offer arm's for a 400ex for under 600!! NEW.

Umm pretty sure Roll arms are $1400 brand new but yea everything else is at or around that ballpark price.

vAnS_77
07-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Ya, what I'm saying is, they sell CHEAP +2 arms. Check kandkatv.com they have overstocked shelfs of 400ex arms alot. Cheap +2 and some dc 4's for 500 for 600 bucks. I bought my laegers for 950, elka's for around a grand with hi comp adj, not elites. I got a package on ebay for around 1675 shipped with brake lines. Look on ebay atv galaxy has some great deals too. Protrax front end- 2300. I was thinking about it..But naw, I'm not going to abuse my quad THAT hard. lol

powermadd400ex
07-04-2008, 11:54 AM
well im only 15, and spendin 1000 on susppension is outta the question. im jus lookin to buy the front shocks right now. and ill buy the a arms after i buy an exhaust.
i dont wanna spend more than 700 on them.
im sorta scared bout buyin used cause the last thing i wanna do is buy some $500 dollar shocks then have to send them off to rebuild them