PDA

View Full Version : 450r vrs. yfz 450

honda13
06-15-2008, 09:50 PM
alright, i'm a yamaha owner for over a year now, i have an 02 raptor 660 with many mods, but its time to get rid of the old and in with the new. here;s my question what is a better overall quad. i'm lookin to buy a 07 450 but its a toss up between an 07 honda 450r and a 07 special edition yamaha yfz 450. i know this is a honda site but i also asked it on my yamaha site and havent got any replies yet. i'm just looking for a good overall reliable quad thats not going to lack power or having something break after every ride. i used to be a honda guy until i bought my raptor and i started liking yamaha. but now i want to go back to honda because they have been so reliable but i never owned a honda sport bike only utility. soo i need your opinions on these two quads, sorry its so long..

jomama
06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
id get the honda 450r (well i already got one) but you can get the same performance as the yamie with the honda. and the yamaha has no where near as much reliability as the trx.

NickG5755
06-16-2008, 12:15 AM
coming off the raptor youll love the handling of the trx and the super smooth never ending power it has to offer...the YFZ barly runs when ya buy it and its farrrr from reliable.

liledg
06-16-2008, 02:36 AM
never had a yam but i love my trx450

Drewltr450
06-16-2008, 05:03 AM
yea they both make the same power and the 450r is deffinetly more reliable.

06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
i own a 400ex but I have ridden the YFZ and the TRX. I didnt like the YFZ450 at all but the TRX450r felt very smooth and I like how the power was delivered. My brothers friend has the YFZ, his dad has the TRX, and his brother has the LTR. Nobody liked the LTR and everybody favored the TRX. When the HRC kit was put on the 450r it killed the other quads

represent618
06-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I grew up racing MX on Yamaha (bikes). I prefer the Honda when it comes to the quads, the dependability is a huge asset to me.

I am taller (6'3") and the TRX has a lot more room to offer me compared to a crammed feel on the Yamaha.

I added a Pro Taper ATV mid with the use of the adapter to add the 3/4" rise and it is a nice feel for me.

I can`t understand the guys who "need more power" on any 450, they are all animals with enough HP for any amatuer.

Good Luck, happy shopping!

yfzrider310
06-16-2008, 11:34 AM
When jumping the trx it felt smooth and fun (w/gt thunder suspension) but it didn't have near the hit my yfz did when riding around the track. Keep in mind the 450r had the HRC kit and a smaller front sprocket. To me it just felt under powered and didn't have much low-end grunt. For reliability the 05 and 04 yfz's sucked it up. In my 400+ hours on my 2006 yfz without a rebuild I don't think its that unreliable and the only things that go wrong are accidents and driver error. Being a yfz guy I guess you don't have to listen to me but before I got the yfz I also wanted a 450r. Now after riding them both I would still take the yfz. I just like the power hit and insane low end power.

dustin_j
06-16-2008, 01:00 PM
You can't really go wrong moving from the raptor to any 450. I got rid of my raptor for a 450r awhile back and never looked back; however, I did prefer my friend's yfz to my 450r. Both quads were relatively stock, except mine had the hrc kit and his had a pipe. Ride both and see which you like. If you do regular maintenance, the yfz should be as reliable as the 450r.

represent618
06-16-2008, 01:34 PM
I have to say dustin_j is right, you are in a win/win if you are buying either bike. biggest factor is what YOU like best....the rest is just maintain it, change that oil!

440challenger
06-16-2008, 05:54 PM
yfz deff has more hit like said above. And you wont have to do intake valves all the time either. TRX is nice for ground clearence etc. I just hate the YFZ fcr bog :eek:

boosted3g
06-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Havent had a good ride on the 450r but ive got plenty of seat time on an 07 yfz se and im not impressed with the performance. It piped and has an air filter and he cant out run me in my trail riding 400ex. Like i said i havent had enough seat time on the honda to make a fair comparison but i would hope it performs better than the yamaha. I know i was much more comfortable on the honda but that is more preference. My buddy who had the yfz has never had any problems with his and he is not easy on it.

mijpa
07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by honda13
alright, i'm a yamaha owner for over a year now, i have an 02 raptor 660 with many mods, but its time to get rid of the old and in with the new. here;s my question what is a better overall quad. i'm lookin to buy a 07 450 but its a toss up between an 07 honda 450r and a 07 special edition yamaha yfz 450. i know this is a honda site but i also asked it on my yamaha site and havent got any replies yet. i'm just looking for a good overall reliable quad thats not going to lack power or having something break after every ride. i used to be a honda guy until i bought my raptor and i started liking yamaha. but now i want to go back to honda because they have been so reliable but i never owned a honda sport bike only utility. soo i need your opinions on these two quads, sorry its so long.. I have an 2007 450Er used 3 times nothing wrong with bike. We are getting in to horses and the quads got to go. The bike has a brand new Rossier Exhaust on it, been rejetted, has K&N filter / outerwear and will come with front and back set of rims/paddels used 1 time. Bike is limitted addition black and red, frame is all red. Email me if your intrested

Surprise,AZ

TRUTH
07-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I rode an 04 YFZ for a few years,mx modded..Free rode it at the Fourwerx Compound..Had zero problems with reliability..never rebuilt it. Very powerful and fun, handled great..Very good looking. I have ridden 450Rs, very fun, reliable and good looking. Guess waht? You can't go wrong! The yfz hits harder and feels faster, but they are pretty comparable on a track. You can't go wrong!