PDA

View Full Version : Pro Shark 90 MX or Pro MX 100 for the trails

GADE800X
06-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Hello all. I am looking for some help here. I really like the features of the Pro MX 100 but wonder how it will do as a trail machine.

This is for my 11yr old daughter she has been riding for 2 yrs but we only ride trails and she is not going to race it. I want her to have a good machine to ride with me and the wife I ride a 2008 Can Am renegade 800X and my wife rides a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO

I have already ordered a 2008 Pro Shark MX which has the wide stance, pipe, and a clutch kit I also added the nerf bars and aluminum front bumper.

I was thinking of upgrading to a Pro MX 100 long travel machine with electric start, oil injection, head lights and tail lights added to make it a better trail bike

I am really curious to see what you all think as to which one will be the better trail machine. I am really leaning towards upgrading to the 2008 ProMX 100 but want to be sure it will be ok on the trails also can you get away with 93 octane fuel with octane booster or I could detune it or put a lower cr piston so I can run 93 in it.

We ride together as a family she currently rides a Polaris Scrambler 90 it is tired and handles like crap time for a new machine also I think the Pro MX 100 will stay with here longer too

I would like as much input possible thanks for the input

I see a lot of veiws but no input ?????????????????

forgiven
06-16-2008, 08:02 AM
The LT version may be a bit of a waste of money and the oil injection may yield more problems than it solves. Runs a real low ratio mixture and you will never know until it is too late that it is not working properly. Other than that everything sounds fine. I would also consider Can-Am as well. I think a Four stroke for trail riding might be the best over all and then you aren't premixing anything.

If you are looking at primarily 2 stroke only I would look at DRR as well.

GADE800X
06-16-2008, 08:06 AM
So are you saying to go with the Pro MXR either a 90 or 100cc

bulldogfallon
06-16-2008, 10:15 PM
The width may be an issue for trail riding on the MXR or you could get 4/1 offset wheels to narrow it.

For trails the Pro Shark should be fine...

The MXR is a race quad....Trying to detune a race mini to make it something it's not usually doesn't produce desired results.

Have you considered a Raptor 250?

It is only a little bit more than the MXR?

GADE800X
06-16-2008, 10:27 PM
The width may be an issue for trail riding on the MXR or you could get 4/1 offset wheels to narrow it.

It is only a little bit more than the MXR so If she is following me on my Renegae which is 46 inches wide I can't see the width being anything but a more stable platform

For trails the Pro Shark should be fine...

You don't think that the MXR is a more reliable and durable platform ????

The MXR is a race quad....Trying to detune a race mini to make it something it's not usually doesn't produce desired results.

The only thing I want to do is be able to run pump gas hence lower cr / detune slightly

Have you considered a Raptor 250?

Yes but NC state law states she can not ride anything over 90cc until she is 16

Thank you for the input

bulldogfallon
06-17-2008, 04:53 AM
2" width difference on a trail is huge for a child...You would be surprised how many people balk at the 44" wide stance and go to extreme measure to get down to the 41" width

MXR more reliable and durable platform---No comment

From my undertsanding the Pro Shark is a good overall machine and is made for your type of aplication....A

If you want the features you listed...headlight, tail light, wider stance, reliability.... then you should potentially entertain Forgiven's advice of looking at a DRX90.....

I didn't want to put that on an Apex thread, but it really does seem to fit your needs and it woukld save you a bunch of money.

Good luck

GADE800X
06-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks I guess I will go with the Pro Shark MX whick is basically a Pro Shark XL (42" wide) with a pipe and clutch kit. feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I was looking at all the features of the Pro MXR like the bushed tranny case, front disk brakes, slipper sprocket, gussetted frame, Anti-Vibe Steering Stem, Tag Handlebarsand better rear swing arm.

I can gussett the frame myself and could add most of the above stuff to it.

I was just think the ultimate trail mini would be a 42" wide Pro MXR with a lower cr so you could run pump gas and a little less agressive clutching I can also assume the Pro Shark will get better gas milage too.

I guess compared to a tired 2001 Polaris Scrambler 90 the Pro Shark MX will be a much better machine for her and from what I have been told is a much better nmachine than the Polaris too

Again thanks for the advise

marsrace2
06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
we have a PRO MXR90 for racing, also have a Pro Shark lt just for trail riding, I chose to go this route because I didnt want to be trying have my Boy trail ride on the race quad. Another thing to consider when trail riding is the potential for wet conditions and the Pro Shark has a full airbox versus the open element filter on the Pro Mx. If you only want to trail ride by the Pro Shark.

GADE800X
06-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by marsrace2
we have a PRO MXR90 for racing, also have a Pro Shark lt just for trail riding, I chose to go this route because I didnt want to be trying have my Boy trail ride on the race quad. Another thing to consider when trail riding is the potential for wet conditions and the Pro Shark has a full airbox versus the open element filter on the Pro Mx. If you only want to trail ride by the Pro Shark.

So how do you like the Pro Shark on the trails is it a good all around machine ?

What is the top end on it and would you say it is a better machine than say a Palaris Scrambler?

How much is the Pro shark down on power comapred to the MXR ?

I may get her the Pro 100 and put the two together to make the untimate trail quad.

Thank you for the help also I sent you a pm thanks for the replies