PDA

View Full Version : quick rebuild question

DementeD
06-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Im debating on a couple things
one..going all out for a 460stroker..or just going ahead with a 416..

the question is...how hard is it to just do the 416..

i know how the motor comes apart as far as whats gettin bored etc..and that seems easy..obviously going to take the head off and the cylinder itself off(dont know the correct name)
but to install the actual piston...do u have to get it pressed on??..

do u have to remove the rod to do so or can u do it with the cylinder removed etc??..

just want a lil bit of info on the rebuild process of just adding a new bigger piston..

typically with cars(which is were i came from) you didnt just replace the piston..u removed the rods polished the crank got new rod bearings etc just to install new pistons...(maybe u didnt have to do all this but from what i heard from removin and pressin on the new piston it put a lot of stress on the rod/bearings and was better to just replace)

so plz...give me some info :D

krt400ex
06-15-2008, 02:52 PM
i cant answer all of your questions because i have not torn my engine down yet, but i do know that a 416 will be much much easier to do than a 460 stroker.

if you do the stroker you will have to split the cases and get the crank machined with more offset (unless you buy a complete crank from hot rods)

the 416, all you got to do is slip the stock jug off, rebore it to match the larger piston and install the piston...your set. there maybe some small details that i am forgetting, but that is basically it. you are gonna want to cam the engine and put a pipe on it to open it up and get the most out of the extra cc's. the pistons are not pressed on, there is a piston pin with a circlip that has to be removed. it is not as hard as you may think. if you have ripped a car engine apart you can do the 400ex...just smaller scale.

DementeD
06-15-2008, 03:36 PM
thanks for the info..pretty much exactly what i was looking for..
already have exhaust and definitely plan for a stage 2 cam or 3 if i went stroker route...which case id buy the hot rods..but
if its pretty much as easy as u say then..ill go ahead n do that since it seems pretty easy/straight forward..

HondaRaceReady
06-15-2008, 04:19 PM
If your engine hasn't been bored ever, than its pointless to go do a 440 stroker. Why not do a 416 stroker, that way you'll have a good amount of power, and when the 416 blows up you go 426, and eventually go 440. Eventually you'll have your 440 stroker.

DementeD
06-15-2008, 04:43 PM
definitely a good point..however i think ill just do the 416 first period see how that goes if its as easy as it seems..instead of ripping the crank case apart to install the crank..and spending an extra 275 for the crank :D plus im impatient so i can do the piston asap where the stroker would take longer to do..

Honda#4
06-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Definently go with a 416 with a 11:1 piston and a stage 2 cam, I have that with a ported head I have crazy bottom end.

I recommend C&D for your motor work, Colbys great and has a fast turn around time.