PDA

View Full Version : need a little help here

250r rider 88
06-15-2008, 12:41 PM
well my friend bought an 05 yfz and basically neglected it, no stabil over the winter and only rode it a few times, doesnt take care of things but anyway now its not running

i took the carb apart and cleaned and reassembled, i noticed the main jet was a 144 with a K&N filter, no airbox lid, and a Yoshimure slip on exhaust, now when i go to motoxperts website for jetting recommendations toby says a 175 is a good starting place, so am i right in thinking that the motor is way too lean and that its not getting enough fuel to run?

also he says when it did run it was either rlly slow or rlly fast there was no in between or happy medium as he called it, now i know these quads are fast but it hsould make power all over not just down low and up high

so my thinking on this is that the jetting is too lean which is allowing the motor to not get the right amount of fuel/air to run, and when he pull starts it to try and ride it the jetting is causeing it to only run slow or fast

any help on this is much appreciated, im about to check the fuel lines to see if they are stopped up but i think it is jetting more than anything

one last thing how often should the valves be adjusted on this motor, he says he has about 50 hours on it and has never adjusted the vavles?

thanks for all the help guys

250r rider 88
06-15-2008, 09:32 PM
no one can offer any advice here?

NickG5755
06-15-2008, 09:48 PM
im pretty sure the break in on YFZ's is like 20 hrs or so then they need valves done... id def get them done... and that does sound like jetting problem.. they came liek that crappy from factory to though... my buddy got an 06 LE and it would fall flat on its face and then take off liek a bat outta hell... mayb thats what your friend is talking about.

but that main def sounds way off.. id fatten it up and set the valves... and from the sounds of it your friend probably beats on it to so get the valves set first then mess with the jetting

250r rider 88
06-15-2008, 09:50 PM
thanks for the info will try that

250r rider 88
06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
ok got it running finally figured out the carb was not getting fuel, the float needle was stuck (i overlooked this earlier) anyway just like he described when he dropped it off it will idle great and run fine just putting around up to 1/4 throttle

then when you hit 1/2 to 3/4 it falls flat on its face

hit full throttle she screams and will flat out haul

what is causing this to have no midrange whatsoever?

is it improper jetting or vavles out of adjustment

also can someone post a pic of a main jet for these carbs somehow i think it has a different stlye main jet installed by our stupid dealership

also is their anyone good how to links with pictures on valve adjustment?

thanks guys