PDA

View Full Version : Bent rotor, no what?

fmftrx300ex
06-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Ok so i was out on my local trails with my dirt bike buddies. and i was pullin 3rd and hit a rock tht smashed my skid plat really bad, and it was rubbing my break rotor and it bent it on impact no it catches its not super bad but its bad enought tht u can visualy see a bend when u spin it. im 14 so i cant really just buy a new one, do i run it till the pads wear away like my dad says and just get new bpads and a rotor or do i try and bend it back with heat? oir run no back breaks? help, and if u have a rotor ill love you lol
thanks its a 2001 300ex btw

400exrider707
06-16-2008, 01:44 PM
If it's bent bad enough, riding it will cause it to heat everything up ridiculously, and it will glow red. It will probably boil the grease out of your bearings so that's a bad idea. Just replace it or take it off (even though that is unsafe). You can try taking it off, heating it and putting it in a press or large vice to flatten it back maybe...

06-16-2008, 02:37 PM
yeah when I wore down my back brakes to the metal I figured I dont use my back brakes all that much i can just ride without it for the time being until I get new pads. Well that day back brakes would have saved me from doing a front flip lol. My front was in the air so i couldnt slow down and I didnt have back brakes, the front dips down and bam I ended up doing a frontflip. So yeah you may think you dont need back brakes or you just dont use them very often but thats deffinately not a reason to not have them working because they can save your a** at times.

dustin_j
06-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Rotors bend pretty easily, so if you are careful you can try to bend it back with a rubber mallet (no heat needed). It doesn't take much of a tap to bend it though. I finally bent a rotor back on my raptor I had, but some initial taps overcorrected the bend and caused more work.

trx310R#24
06-17-2008, 05:29 AM
i would say buyy a nw one but yeah like the others said try an bend it back aan u dont need heat

400exrider707
06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Actually this just reminded me of an article I read on fixing these. Take a very large crescent wrench and adjsut it so you can fit the rotor in it and then just rotate the rotor around until you find the bent area and bend it back. You can keep it on the quad to do so which is best of all!