PDA

View Full Version : Just passing this along...TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

derekhonda
06-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Got this in an email, worth a read. Im' not sure if there is any validity to it though...wilkin?

-----------------------------------------------------

TIPS ON PUMPING GAS

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in Indiana we are also paying higher, up to $4 per gallon. Here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3)stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon/Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels

Conoco..................0 barrels

Sinclair..................0 barrels

BP/Phillips.............0 barrels

Hess......................0 barrels

ARC0.....................0 barrels

If you go to Sunoco.com, you will get a list of the station locations near you.

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

06-15-2008, 11:10 AM
i read that about 4 months ago and ever since I always pump the gas slower.

Mxjunkie
06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
SO thats why Sunoco is the official fuel sponsor of Nascar :blah: :devil:

06-15-2008, 11:54 AM
all bull

NacsMXer
06-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
all bull

pretty much :o

JJs450r
06-15-2008, 01:01 PM
ya myth busters busted em, i just figured the gas companys payed em too say it though, i tried pumping slow jussst got aggravated pumping $110 worth of gas takin right at 10 mintues, really couldnt tell i was gettin more for my dollar big waste of time as for the morning they busted that 2

derekhonda
06-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Sorry, didn't know if it was true or not!

JR3
06-15-2008, 02:00 PM
dont matter in nj anyway we dont pump our own gas but id like to hear what wilkin has to say

Rip_Tear
06-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Rather then just saying total BS I'll explain somethings I know (although it may just be Canadian stuff...)

Our pumps do compensate for some temperature difference.

The storage tanks are deep enough in the ground that they should not be that effected by the change in temperature.

Look at the hose and tell me where this vapor return is? We don't have them...

Your gas tank has a breather on it for a reason, to exhaust some of the vapors, whether your tank is full or empty, when it's hot out your tank needs to vent or it will expand and break things.

Side note, things are half empty when they have been taken from. Things are only half full when the have been filled to that level.

The gas pumps have filters on them, if you are getting dirt from your gas, switch stations. Besides where do you think the pumps pull from, the bottom of the tank, it wouldn't make sense for them to pull from the top of the tank now would it? Although some may be on floats (although I doubt it).

As far as giving money to Saudi Arabia etc, you are giving money to them either way, not as much as you think. Most of the gas prices and money is going to the owners of the refineries etc, whom are mostly American's...

wilkin250r
06-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by JR3
dont matter in nj anyway we dont pump our own gas but id like to hear what wilkin has to say

They are all valid arguments. Yes, cold gasoline will be more dense than warm gasoline. Yes, fast pumping causes more vaporization.

But while they are theoretically true, are they significant? Tanks are stored underground, I don't think they vary 15 degrees from day to night. Plus, we're talking a whopping 1%, you'll see more significant gains by properly inflating your tires, reducing unecessary weight (clean out your trunk), and turning your car off whenever you're going to idle more than 30 seconds, or not running your air conditioner. Heck, gas prices vary more than 1% from week-to-week, do you really think it's all that significant?

The half-tank fillup thing is completely bogus. Evaporation takes place on the surface of a liquid, it's dependent on suface area, not on the amount of airspace above it. Again, you would probably see more significant gains by keeping your tank BELOW halfway, simply because of the weight reduction.

Vaporization due to fast pumping isn't significant, far less than 1%. So the largest factor here is temperature, and (in my opinion), it really isn't that significant. For the oil companies it's a big deal, because when you're pumping billions of gallons, it means millions of dollars, that's why they adjust for temperature. They have millions of dollars on the line. But for the average consumer, pumping a few hundred gallons a year, it's only a few bucks.

06-15-2008, 05:02 PM
air conditioning is better than the windows open, the windows open creates drag that why you feel the breeze without having to stick your head out the window and sometimes you get that pounding noise. If windows open didnt create drag you would have to stick your head out past the window opening to feel a breeze.

416exfreak
06-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Some of us dont have air conditioning though.:chinese: :D

NacsMXer
06-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
air conditioning is better than the windows open, the windows open creates drag that why you feel the breeze without having to stick your head out the window and sometimes you get that pounding noise. If windows open didnt create drag you would have to stick your head out past the window opening to feel a breeze.

I'd say the AC is better than windows down on gas only if you are going fast enough to take advantage of the decreased aerodynamic drag. Around town I never use the AC, it sucks the power and gas big time. But yea, like mythbusters proved, cruising at faster speeds AC on, windows up is better.

06-15-2008, 07:46 PM
pshhh, who pumps there own gas? Jersey all day son.:o

06-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
pshhh, who pumps there own gas? Jersey all day son.:o

I dont like when people pump the gas for you.

CannondaleRider
06-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I dont like when people pump the gas for you.

I know....I'd never dealt with it, ever. First time I drove through Oregon, on the way to a race...some toothless methhead came up and started pumping my gas. Freaked me out, because I didn't know Oregon had that law, haha. She should of at least been wearing a shirt that better let me know she was actually a employee there, lol.

trx310R#24
06-16-2008, 03:51 AM

true an the air conditioning uses like no gas i have tested it i get the same mpg with the air as i do with out the air so lol

if you want to save gas keep your car at low rpm's
keep it below 4 as much as you can that will do alot

Kickstarts-suck
06-16-2008, 05:35 AM
I have no AC so I don't have to worry about that :(

I think slow down and dont drive as much is the best thing to do. Im not going to do all these little things like pump gas slower hoping it helps.

06-16-2008, 10:08 AM
the best thing to do though is not to speed so fast to the speed you want to drive at. If you drive just fast enough to have the vehicle shift into the next gear and keep the RPM's low and at the speed you want to drive at thats how you get really good gas milage. Try it out, it works

honda4life72
06-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by JJs450r
ya myth busters busted em, i just figured the gas companys payed em too say it though, i tried pumping slow jussst got aggravated pumping $110 worth of gas takin right at 10 mintues, really couldnt tell i was gettin more for my dollar big waste of time as for the morning they busted that 2 i would not really go off what the myth busters do. some of there gas milage test were pretty inaccurate. for example when they did the airconditon and windows down test to see which was more efficeint on gas then used two cars not one for the test. yes both the cars were alike but no two cars are exactually the same. my dad had a 08 f350 his freind bought the same truck , same motor everthing was the exact same. but on got 15mpg and the other got 18mpg. so myth busters is not 100 percent accurate

honda4life72
06-16-2008, 10:18 AM
also driving with your tailgate down is worse then it up. it creates drag with it down. when it is up air gathers behind the cab and the air flows over the gate.

<DRS>GPF
06-16-2008, 11:59 AM
also.. if you change the winter air in your tires for fresh summer air, youll get better tire roundification. :blah:

hawood
06-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Roll the windows up to reduce drag, turn the A/C off to reduce pull on the engine, and crank the heater up so that the engine runs cooler for better performance. As a bonus, you will loose a few pounds from sweating your *** off, -less weight=more MPG

400exrider_88
06-17-2008, 09:13 PM
adding acetone to gas works. i have a gmc seirra that usually get about 14 mpg. i added acetone- 7 ounces per 20 gallons and am get 19.5. all it does is help the fuel burn more completely so your car uses less.

wilkin250r
06-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider_88
adding acetone to gas works. i have a gmc seirra that usually get about 14 mpg. i added acetone- 7 ounces per 20 gallons and am get 19.5. all it does is help the fuel burn more completely so your car uses less.

It reduces the surface tension, it helps it atomize better. Must have been an older truck to change that dramatically.

400exrider_88
06-18-2008, 08:28 PM
97 seirra. i heard of a guy getting 60mpg out of a dodge neon while using acetone. if i could double my gas mileage with this then i would never not drive a truck

416exfreak
06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
A real tip, that works...

When your finished pumping, hold up the hose to let all the gas drain into your tank...

You might pay for 40 dollars worth, but you only get 38.:eek2:

06-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

When your finished pumping, hold up the hose to let all the gas drain into your tank...

wiggling it some with the holding it up works well

hawood
06-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak

You only get 38 if the person that was at that pump last did your little trick, haha, otherwise you would still get 40, and then if you lifted the hose you would get 42. Actually with most pumps it would proubably only be about 1/2 a gallon, but ya thats still a couple bucks.

NacsMXer
06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
wiggling it some with the holding it up works well

I always tap the last drops out of it after I lift up on it, lol i'm getting my money's worth :blah:

416exfreak
06-19-2008, 08:17 PM
She said thanks...:devil: