PDA

View Full Version : A few shots of the gardens

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Everyone thats ever been here gets to see first hand how we try and live off our land. Thankfully we have what we have and can help offset the cost of rising prices at the old grocery store:p

I had to make a new garden for my Tomato's this year due to the deer wanting them more then I did last year.

There are regular tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and various bell peppers and hot peppers in this one. We make our own spagetti sauce, tomato juice, canned maters, salsa etc.

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Basil and parsley along with more spinach in this raised bed. I have more herbs in containers that are brought inside for winter so we can have fresh all year long. We dry alot of it so we dont have to buy at the store.

We already have 40 packs of spinach frozen and are looking at our second planting growing now.

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:36 AM
More radish's and swiis chard in this one, along with some carrots.

Its still early in teh growing season here in the mountains but everything is doing well thanks to the abundant rainfall.

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Strawberries are starting to turn, although this year we will just get enough to eat with some vanilla ice cream:p Next year the bed will produce enough to make jelly and jam

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:40 AM
The big garden is full.

To the right are peas that will be picked this coming week and frozen, 2nd planting fo beets have about 3 weeks to go, open area is replanted in more beets, then cabbage and red cabbage for saurkraut,

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Green beans and lima beans.

The green beans are in bloom and we expect to get enough to put up about 200 quarts. Limas take longer and we will eat most of them frsh and can maybe 40 quarts

Another row of swiss chard will provide greens for salads all summer long until the first hard frost

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Onions will be chopped and frozen for winter use, along with some for fresh eating.

Asaragus is done for the year and will now be allowed to do its thing before cutting it back at fall

Corn is just coming up

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Blackberries are really growing. This is their 3rd year and we will get enough to do frozen and jelly this year

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:47 AM
The lower garden is full. It is planted with Cucumbers, winter squash, sunflowers along the ends for drying because the boys cant get enough of them.

Various mellons and even some bird house gourds and ornamental gourds are in there. They will be sold in the fall to pay for all the seeds that planted our garden this year.

Pappy
06-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Last one for now.

This is my squash and zuchini garden. Also has acorn and butter nut squash and scallop squash. The last 2 are stored in the fall and can be used all winter

I have 2 more gardens, one for watermellon and cantalope and one just for pumpkins but they are just bare dirt as the seeds were planted last week. The boys will have punkins for halloween, the rest wioll be sold off to help offset cost of garden and if any are left over will be used for target practice as we get ready for deer season!

Mxjunkie
06-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Ah pap I better not see any illegals running around there with this farm you have going on! :blah:

Pappy
06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
no illegals here, just hard working real americans:D

06-15-2008, 11:06 AM
thats awesome to grow all of that. Now in Florida I grow: minneloa tangelo and naval oranges, red grapefruit, lemons, limes (i'm forgetting 2 other cirtus fruits I cant think of them off the top of my head), pineapples, bananas, and jalapeno peppers. Banana tree is still maturing, the citrus trees are maturing more and are really starting to take off, pineapple plant is growing, jalapeno peppers i'm getting so many year round I dont know what to do with them. I had 2 jars full of crushed jalapeno peppers, I would put them in salads, soups, tacos, whatever I could and I would still end up throwing some out. Its crazy this plant just keeps growing more and more peppers lol

j_cyrus3
06-15-2008, 12:24 PM
So... Wheres all the pot? :p Just kiddin man. I bet it's a job keeping up with all that stuff.

pro-rider46
06-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Pappy, thats a Kickarse garden you have there. i wish i had one like yours. It must be nice to have fresh produce almost all year long.

Pappy
06-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
So... Wheres all the pot? :p Just kiddin man. I bet it's a job keeping up with all that stuff.

I actually found some growing last week. I know there is a ton of it grown in little hide away spots all over around here so I imagine the seeds get scattered by wind and birds etc, same as all other weeds or plants with seeds. It was about 8 inches high when I found it:p

We spend about 4 hours a week on the gardens once they are planted. With me traveling so much the past 2 months its been rough and especially since cody cant help this spring I got a little behind weeding it all, but thats all fixed now.

Pappy
06-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
thats awesome to grow all of that. Now in Florida I grow: minneloa tangelo and naval oranges, red grapefruit, lemons, limes (i'm forgetting 2 other cirtus fruits I cant think of them off the top of my head),

My mom lives in palm bay and ships us a regular supply of fresh oranges, grapefruits and lemons. She picks them one day, and 2 days later I have them. There isnt anything better then real fresh fruits!!!

I wish I could grow them here:p They come up each summer and gorge on fresh veggys since their veggy growing season is almost over.