PDA

View Full Version : twin batteries on 450er

wanta450
06-15-2008, 08:58 AM
can anyone do a write up on the proper way to hook up duall batteries on the 450er i have seen it done but cant really find any good answers about it

Benjithx
06-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Just run a wire from one +pos to the other, and do the same with the -neg.

This way you don't change the voltage, just the available amperage.

Scro
06-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Benjithx
Just run a wire from one +pos to the other, and do the same with the -neg.

This way you don't change the voltage, just the available amperage.

That won't make it crank any better, just give you the ability to crank longer. You have to wire them in series, and run the starter on 24 volts (off the second battery) and the rest of the system on 12 (off the first battery).

katch26
06-16-2008, 07:44 AM
why do you need 2 batteries for cranking? Why not just step up to a better battery that has more cranking amps

Scro
06-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by katch26
why do you need 2 batteries for cranking? Why not just step up to a better battery that has more cranking amps

A bigger battery doesn't solve the problem - It helps, but it still doesn't crank near fast enough for XC starts. A 24 volt system may not be as fast as a kicker, but atleast you have a chance of getting a holeshot:p With the stock 12 volt system, you're almost gaurenteed not to get the holeshot - atleast at the nationals anyway.

Benjithx
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Hmm...

Thats cool. I didn't know you could do that

wanta450
06-16-2008, 10:41 AM
yeah but wouldnt this burn up the starter pretty quick since its designed for 12 volts

06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I thought the amps cranked the starter, not the volts.

Scro
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by wanta450
yeah but wouldnt this burn up the starter pretty quick since its designed for 12 volts

That was my first thought, too. But I know people that have been doing it for 2+ years with no problems yet.

Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
I thought the amps cranked the starter, not the volts.

I'm no electrical guru (the reason why I'm not gonna try and explain how to hook it up), but from what I understand, amps is what controls how long the battery will last before having to be charged again. You'll know it when you send 24 volts to it. Instead of ta......ta......ta......ta, it's ta-ta-ta-ta-ta:devil:

It's more common than most people think. I've heard rumors that Ballance, Ockerman, Sommers are running 24 volts. And I'm sure there are probably more. It's not just reaction times that are getting these three holeshots almost every race:macho

katch26
06-16-2008, 12:04 PM
amps is what pushes voltage. 24v isnt going to turn the starter over any faster but double the amperage will.....BUT how much is the starter designed to hold? What do you have to do to the stator to get it to charge 2 batteries at the same time.....lots of hurdles.

Scro
06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Like I said, I don't know much about the specifics of electricity. BUT, when you hook the batteries up in series (24v), the starter will spin twice as fast.

The only thing I don't like about this is that only the first battery will be charged. The second will stay charged 3-4 hours. Mind you, this setup was not intended for all-day trailriding. It was designed for XC racers that wanted to get off the line faster. Taking the battery out after each trail ride to charge is something most people don't want to do - but it is well worth it for racers.

The setup has proved itself - It's reliable as long as you wire correctly and remember to charge the battery after each race.

Scro
06-16-2008, 01:25 PM
The wiring is explained in this thread (http://www.********forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=281202#post281202)

EDIT: You'll have to put in q-u-a-d-z-o-n-e where it says ********:rolleyes:

400exrider707
06-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I remember we had an LT80 we couldn't get started before because compression was so low, so we hooked it up to 24V, man that thing was screaming! Got it started though... she smoked quite a bit.:chinese:

d3ktrix
06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by katch26
amps is what pushes voltage. 24v isnt going to turn the starter over any faster but double the amperage will.....BUT how much is the starter designed to hold? What do you have to do to the stator to get it to charge 2 batteries at the same time.....lots of hurdles.

Everything you said there is backwards.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm

To clarify for everyone, increasing the voltage will speed up the starter. Increasing amp/current will let it crank longer.

katch26
06-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Everything you said there is backwards.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm

To clarify for everyone, increasing the voltage will speed up the starter. Increasing amp/current will let it crank longer.

oops...you're right.

tfuchs
06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
But here is the soloution, Cut out enough area in the tool carrier to get the battery to fit, Strap the battery in.

Now the wiring...

From the first battery run a wire (8-10ga) from the pisitive to the negative of the 2nd battery (under the seat). Then from the 2nd battery run another wire from the positive terminal to the input side of the starter solenoid.
Make sure to seperate the two wires that originally connected to the first battery terminal, there is a 14 gauge wire that needs to be connected to the first battery so that the rest of your quads electrical systyem only gets 12 volts.

This System Works, for anyone who know electrical this is two batteries run in series. Every few hours you do need to disconnect the first batteries positive terminal and charge the second battery, the first battery stays charged but you do need to cahrge the 2nd battery.

I have been running this setup since january 2007 and it works awesome. Now I do not have any lights on my quad so I do not know if it affects these. Use at your own risk.

"Thou Shalt not tell me that my quad and air filter is dirty, I can see that for myself"

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/tfuchs/battery001.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/tfuchs/battery004.jpg

This is me getting the holeshot against another 450 with a kicker.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/tfuchs/M-IMG_1065.jpg