PDA

View Full Version : 1998 sportsman wont run

MichiganMOOSE79
06-14-2008, 09:49 PM
i have a 98 sportsman 500 with 2100 miles on it. problem is took it for a ride, rode great for the first few miles, now it idles perfect but soon as you try to give it gas it wants to stall out, let off the gas and idles perfect, i got it up to 10 mph by feathering the throttle and got going down a hill and it took off and ran good for a mile and back fired couple times and started doing the same thing, could these be in the throttle contol switch on handle bar, i did put gas in it before i took of on it, maybe some in the carb? any help woould be great! thanks

sparksmakefire
06-15-2008, 08:13 AM
sounds like either a carb issue, air filter issue, or sparkplug. take your sparkplug out and see what it looks like. and post back on it.

MichiganMOOSE79
06-27-2008, 03:33 AM
took carb of and cleaned it and found that the needle in the dighram assembly clip had come off, i dont know if i caused this during removal or if it was like that, anyhow i put back to gether and the same thing, idles but wont go any where, plug looked good had descent spark, my buddy is telling me its the cam but i hope not, please help, thanks

MichiganMOOSE79
07-15-2008, 03:22 AM
running like champ now:cool:

dirkdiglar
07-18-2008, 08:12 AM
what was the problem? i had a similar thing happen on mine but it was just a carb issue