PDA

View Full Version : Getting the holeshot troubles

infantry317
12-01-2002, 08:50 AM
I can't get going quick enough cuz I can't keep the front end down in 1st and 2nd. I lean forward, but I'm a big guy and those stock tires just dig in. Any tips to a quick start would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

mxracer89
12-01-2002, 11:19 AM
try to pull out in 3ed

infantry317
12-01-2002, 11:26 AM
:rolleyes:

Ryan
12-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Well I could first practice on starting. It just takes some practice. If you have money a ext swing arm would do you good and maybe some new rear tires, this way when you lean forward you get more traction. No offense but it could be just you and not the quad. Just keep practicing and it will work out.

Nausty
12-01-2002, 03:36 PM
do a search and i've replyed to a bunch of threads like these. Basically start in 2nd, make sure you don't shift to soon like a lot of people I see, when your half way through 2nd and the front wheels are settling back down start leaning back and stay low. Also don't drop the clutch the whole way when the gate drops. just have it so that before the gate even drops your clutch is starting to grip so you only have to let out a inch and you can do it smoothly as not to wheelie.

infantry317
12-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Thanks

sylvan56473
12-02-2002, 08:59 PM
Nausty's got the idea. Here is what I do that seems to work good. Keep the throttle pinned and use your clutch to dictate power to the rear wheels. Just keep the throttle on while shifting. What kind of starting pad are you using? Dirt or concrete?

Nausty
12-02-2002, 09:28 PM
if its concrete by the gates then your gonna have to be easier on the clutch and easier on the gas and if its dirt you can be more aggresive.
At my home track we have lights that blink that turn to another light that is solid white and it would go off about 1/2 of a second before the gate starts to move so is what I would do is back up a few feet from the gate and get a running start on it when it went to solid white.

Oh yah don't be affraid of people rubbing you from behind because they really can't do much and its more dangerous for them, just watch out for the people directly on your side and ahead of you.

sylvan56473
12-02-2002, 09:35 PM
I wish they would let us get a rolling start at our track. If you start more than a foot back and are rolling before the gate drops you have to start backwards. Makes a race kinda tough. And, you can kiss your holeshot goodbye!

Nausty
12-02-2002, 09:55 PM
I only race c class although there is a ton of sand baggers and I am way out classed handling and power wise compared to a lot of quads I race against. But I think i'm the only one who ever does the rolling start I think in c class. I only figured it out on about my last few races.

Why won't they let you do the rolling start? I think I remember the guy in the riding meeting telling us to start with our back wheels touching the rail road ties which is way leaves about 3 or 4 feet in front of your tires tell you see the gate.

The only thing bad I could see about starting behind everyone is getting blocked out and being forced to stay in the back if you make a mistake out of the gate.

Another few things I remember though is to make sure you line up with your tires in the groves in front of the gate and when your in about 2nd gear you really need to start moving back but I found the main thing is to keep low when you do move back so its not as likely to wheelie but you still have the weight over the rear tires.

lol, i hope all that stuff makes since but I don't feel like proof reading it.

12-03-2002, 06:39 AM
Don't dump the clutch,,ease that badboy out,,once it's all the way out start hammerin down and shifting gears..

JUSTINcredible
12-03-2002, 09:14 AM
When possible I really like to start in 3rd gear cuz i can save time from shifting and it pulls alot longer obviousley.. just give it some practice and practice on diffrent types of dirt and also on cement

QuadTrix6
12-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by MNmxblaster37
When possible I really like to start in 3rd gear cuz i can save time from shifting and it pulls alot longer obviousley.. just give it some practice and practice on diffrent types of dirt and also on cement

thats a bit crazy i have a 14 tooth and i wouldn't start in 3rd, i wouldn't go any higher than 2nd gear, replacing your rear tires for smaller tires maybe tamers would help because they are lighter and will spin faster, also maybe get an extended swing arm if your serious about racing and can't seem to fix the problem, but i would do that as a last resort its a bit pricey :rolleyes:

JUSTINcredible
12-03-2002, 01:14 PM
Might sound crazy to you but gets the job done for me;)

Sparks425Ex
12-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey ^ What kinda quad do you have. If you are starting in 3rd Gear you prolly aren't getting holeshots. Cause if you are riding a blaster you deff aren't getting them against 250Rs Banshees and 400exs. Cause 3rd gear is way to high on a Blaster. They take forever to rev out in 3rd.

JUSTINcredible
12-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by NACS425Ex
Hey ^ What kinda quad do you have. If you are starting in 3rd Gear you prolly aren't getting holeshots. Cause if you are riding a blaster you deff aren't getting them against 250Rs Banshees and 400exs. Cause 3rd gear is way to high on a Blaster. They take forever to rev out in 3rd.

yea I have a blaster and no i dont get holeshots against 250rs, banshees or 400exs.. cuz i dont race against them, i mostly race against other blaster and honda 300exs, i dont get it every time but im usely pretty close, I dont always start in 3rd it depends on the dirt and all that but i really like too

QuadTrix6
12-04-2002, 01:46 PM

yea I have a blaster and no i dont get holeshots against 250rs, banshees or 400exs.. cuz i dont race against them, i mostly race against other blaster and honda 300exs, i dont get it every time but im usely pretty close, I dont always start in 3rd it depends on the dirt and all that but i really like too

blasters and 400EX's are a lil different :rolleyes:

Nausty
12-04-2002, 01:47 PM
I had a blaster, if the dirt is that soft you should still start in 2nd over 3rd but just site back farther. btw the stock 400ex tires are great for getting holeshots.

QuadTrix6
12-04-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
I btw the stock 400ex tires are great for getting holeshots.

you really think so ? i think they bite too hard..hmm can't wait for my tamers in about a week :blah

MxDale71
12-04-2002, 02:09 PM
I used to be good at getting the holeshot but I don't know what happened. I went to the track for the first time since October and I couldn't keep the front end down :grr. I'd love to help you out and everything but I gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong first before I try to help someone out w/ their starts :p .

Nausty
12-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MxDale71
I used to be good at getting the holeshot but I don't know what happened. I went to the track for the first time since October and I couldn't keep the front end down :grr. I'd love to help you out and everything but I gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong first before I try to help someone out w/ their starts :p .

get lower and let the tires spin a little at the gate and move forward a little right before you think they are gonna catch.

about the tires, most people actually use stock honda tires for hill climbing and drag racing in dirt. I still do good with my holeshot tires but I think I liked my stock tires better although the holeshots are great for getting your rear tires out around sticky corners.

Ryan
12-04-2002, 02:34 PM

I have a blaster too and im lucky if I pull out in second gear. I usually have to start in first and then work my way up. It could be my tires I have (XCT HOLESHOTS). I don't see how you could get any kind of good start with starting in 3rd gear :huh .

The problem with starting off is alot of people usually wheelie or just spin to much. I usually get the spin but then lean back alittle bit and then they bite. It just takes practice to get it.

400exBro
12-04-2002, 04:05 PM
ya don't do what i did... i leaned to far forward and dumped the clutch in second causing me to spin and bog down the motor.....

watch the gate and don't sit right in front, and don't hold back...

here is a pick.. i am the only red 400ex and the red 400 beside me is Forum (yzf 426 guy person on here)

lata

Bro

Moded86R
12-04-2002, 06:18 PM
I ride a 250r and ussually do pretty good at holeshots.

First if possible I always pick the straightest line to the firstcorner.That way I don't have to turn at all.And of course it isa shorter distance.

Second I have a pretty good reaction time.Which helps.The track i race at has a concrete starting pad which helps.I run holeshot mx's.

As you guys all know 400's are hard as heck to launch decently.When I ride my buddies I let it wheelie.Like the other guy was saying slip the clutch to keep control of the power not the throttle.I beat a raptor on a 400ex that way.It is hard to exlplain but I am sure you understand.Also when I launch 400's I always start in 2nd.

400exRacerX
12-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Like everyone else said, dont dump the clutch. Have it were its just about grabbing, then when the gate drops ease it out. What I do is when the guy flips the card for the gate to drop, I stare at the gate and as soon as it flinchs i let the clutch out. I start off in 2nd on both quads, usaully when I'm 15ft out of the gate I'm in 3rd already, by the first turn I'm in 4th.

toby400ex
12-04-2002, 08:12 PM
pretty much just ease out the clutch and lean forward.

user101
12-04-2002, 08:24 PM
i start out in 2nd and shift to 3rd just before it revs out. it works for me.

MxDale71
12-05-2002, 11:40 AM
I think my problem is I just get ahead of myself. Out of the gate, I have no problems keeping the front end down. I hit 2nd, I start wheelieing a little, get the front back down enough, hit 3rd and it stands straight up. I know how to keep it down, I just don't stay focused on my start enough and thats when I run into problems.