PDA

View Full Version : valve guide replacement ??

madmartin
06-13-2008, 08:51 AM
was wodering if anyone has replaced their valve guides by themselves and how hard it was. my 99 400ex jumped timing and bent a valve so i rebuilt the head. New valves, seals, everything but the guides. I was a little hesitant but i filled the head with gas and the valves did'nt leak any so i figured it was alright. quads been together for a little while but ever since I first started it she smokes a little after start up. It only needs to sit for an hour but also only smokes for a minute or so. I'm now thinking the guide might have been gouged and is leaking a little oil. Any one else have any ideas or suggestions.

mstrfreestyle69
06-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Ive never worked on a quad head but i used to work at a engine machine shop, on allot of heads the guides have to be machined out. now on most tractor and diesle heades they are just press fitted with a locking compound, not sure if quad heads are like this or not. (im sure that some one on here will know) but anyway if they are pressed in you could do it your self but IMO you are better of taking them to a machine shop becuase there are special punches that fit in the guides so that you can tap them in and they wont shatter (had that happen a time or two) and if they need to be machined out you will have to take it a machine shop unless if you have a seat and guide machine layin around.:) hope this helps

EDIT: also it wont take them all that long to put guides in maybe a half an hour or so if you get the parts it will probly be 40-50 bucks.

fmftrx300ex
06-14-2008, 11:53 AM
i have a 300ex, i havent done it but in the cylmer book it tells you how u heat the head in the oven and then u can knock them out or somthing like that so they are pressed in

madmartin
06-14-2008, 12:24 PM
yeah i've read the section and understand the whole process. It always seems something goes wrong according to plan. I'm sure people have tried it and ran into problems and i can only imagine what problems i'd run into. I'm new to my area and don't know if there are any shops around but i might just look. I don't know if i might mushroom the guides trying to set them or if i can overheat the head and warp it. I think a shop might be the way to go.