PDA

View Full Version : powder coat sparks exaust

s_brown06
06-12-2008, 09:36 PM
i was wondering if its possible to powdercoat the can of the sparks someone was tellin me they get to hot and will melt it off i dont know anyone that has done it but seen it on here

NickG5755
06-12-2008, 09:51 PM
nah i dont think that it would get hot enough to burn powder coat off... i mean the Slip on cant be much hotter than the air coming out right? and you can put your hand behind an exhasut and its not thatt hot.

i dont see why it wouldnt work

d3ktrix
06-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Dasa exhausts come coated black. It seems to hold up super good though, so I'm thinking it's not normal powder coat.

Sjorge450R
06-13-2008, 08:16 AM
pappy coats the canisters. He was gonna do the supertrapp on my 300ex a while back. Get a hold of him.

pro-rider46
06-13-2008, 09:15 AM
if you were looking to get it coated black, you should maybe look into molycoating it, because it disapeats heat, and it comes in black, but its nots glossy.

s_brown06
06-13-2008, 09:35 AM
well idk what i was gnna do eitherblack or blue maybe blue so how much is the moly coat i know it takes like 350 degrees to melt powdercoat i dnt think the can would get that hot but i had some ppl tell me it owuld

sparksmakefire
06-13-2008, 10:22 AM
well look at it this way. the hot air coming out is not as hot as the can. the can will absorb the heat coming through it. the head pipe absorbs a lot of heat hence burnt boots and legs. sure you can put your hand where the exhaust gasses are blowing...but can you put your hand on the silencer? probably not. when they powdercoat they heat it to 400* F. to melt the powder. but i wouldnt want to powdercoat it if it goes over 300* on the can.

Benjithx
06-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by sparksmakefire
well look at it this way. the hot air coming out is not as hot as the can. the can will absorb the heat coming through it. the head pipe absorbs a lot of heat hence burnt boots and legs. sure you can put your hand where the exhaust gasses are blowing...but can you put your hand on the silencer? probably not. when they powdercoat they heat it to 400* F. to melt the powder. but i wouldnt want to powdercoat it if it goes over 300* on the can.

Ceramic coating (Some) is good to 2000 degrees

sparksmakefire
06-13-2008, 11:16 AM
there is a HUGE uncomparablie difference in ceramic coating. the headers on my car are ceramic coated and if water gets on it while they are hot it flakes the coating off over time. ceramic coating is used on headers to keep the heat out of the engine bay and prevent ugly rust.

pro-rider46
06-13-2008, 12:06 PM
ceramic coating also holds heat in, and makes more horsepower, hence why people use it on quads. and they make all kinds of ceramic coatings. like on benjithx's quad, its a black ceramic coating, and on the sparks exhaust they look like chrome, and are durable.

katch26
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
www.moorepower.com

my header is the black and the heatshield is the "chrome"...both ceramic coated
the heatshield is filthy in this pic but I assure it shines:cool:

Benjithx
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
ceramic coating also holds heat in, and makes more horsepower, hence why people use it on quads. and they make all kinds of ceramic coatings. like on benjithx's quad, its a black ceramic coating, and on the sparks exhaust they look like chrome, and are durable.

Thanks Steve, I spoke with a guy at Performance Coating for a while about different options and the Satin Black 2000 degree was perfect for offroad applications. With that said, I will let you guys know how it holds up.

katch26
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
how much did he quote you at? the link I posted was the cheapest by far. I paid like 50 for the header and heatshield. I know jet hot wanted over $100

Benjithx
06-13-2008, 12:58 PM
$55 after tax

I had the exhaust shipped directly to them and they handled everything very well.

YZ400EX
06-13-2008, 06:00 PM
here is a pic of my HMF PC'd white.. Been on there a bit with a lot of riding and is holding up awesome..no fading, no melting.. Looks as good as the day I got it back.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/yz400ex/sick2.jpg

Sjorge450R
06-15-2008, 06:43 AM
yea why didnt any of us think about HMF!!! they come from the factory PC'd. But liek i said before, I am about 92% sure that you can get the silencer powdercoated. talk to Pappy over at BK Performance

BadinBlack
06-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
yea why didnt any of us think about HMF!!! they come from the factory PC'd. But liek i said before, I am about 92% sure that you can get the silencer powdercoated. talk to Pappy over at BK Performance
you are right! only thing you got to make sure is that you keep good packing in the pipe, once the packing burns off then you will start to see discoloration on the pipe. i've powdered a pipe my self and no for sure that it will hold up. i'm gonna do it again actually.

YZ400EX
06-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by BadinBlack
you are right! only thing you got to make sure is that you keep good packing in the pipe, once the packing burns off then you will start to see discoloration on the pipe. i've powdered a pipe my self and no for sure that it will hold up. i'm gonna do it again actually.

The cost of PC on the can is cheap enough it should be done whenever the can is repacked anyway..:D