PDA

View Full Version : Namura vs Wiseco piston..wich is better

ridinga400ex
06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
I have a 2001 400ex and I am getting it bored over 20.I want to know if I should go with the Namura or wiseco piston.Anybody have good or bad experiences with either??Thanks for the info...

97WarriorRider
06-12-2008, 07:24 PM
same thing I want to know

97WarriorRider
06-12-2008, 08:09 PM
someone has got to know

ridinga400ex
06-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I dont think there really is a difference besides price.I know the Namura have a better coating so it should in theory last longer but I could be wrong...anyone?????

GPracer2500
06-12-2008, 11:37 PM
I thought Namura pistons were cast. All Wiseco pistons are forged.

Phillburt57
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
What is the btter coating you are talking about? I'm pretty sure that as long as your cylinder is coated correctly you are going to be ok. Go with Wiseco!

gcart2
06-13-2008, 04:18 AM
i have had a wiseco (stock bore hi comp) in mine for a whole race season and its still holding up strong as can be.

ridinga400ex
06-13-2008, 06:33 AM
It's a very light weight cast piston. Molybdenum and teflon skirt coatings with anodized domes.

06-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I thought Namura pistons were cast. All Wiseco pistons are forged.

cast pistons I hear arent nearly as strong

jeepthing07
06-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Phillburt57
What is the btter coating you are talking about? I'm pretty sure that as long as your cylinder is coated correctly you are going to be ok. Go with Wiseco!

Do 400ex's have a coated cylinder sleeve? i was thinking about having mine bored .40 :eek2:

GPracer2500
06-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by jeepthing07
Do 400ex's have a coated cylinder sleeve? i was thinking about having mine bored .40 :eek2:

No, they don't.

skidoome
06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Cast versus forged.... hmmmmm.... Forged are stronger hold up to more abuse and are a much better piston.

Cast are inexpensive, easy to fail, and should not be put in the same catagory as a forged piston.

I have run cast pistons in many high horsepower twin two stroke engines and many have failed. I switched to forged in both of my sleds. 670x and 925 tripple and wouldn't run anything but a forged piston in these engines. Of course they run 8300 and 8900 rpm and put out 5-8 times the power the little ex puts out but I still wouldn't put a cast piston in a toy that I beat on.

jon

kellimarie
06-15-2008, 01:27 PM
When we rebuilt my motor, I originally bought a Namura piston. It has a teflon coating witch is supposed to reduce friction, but I heard it burns off after a couple hours. When we got it, it was as by boyfriend put "too light" and he thought it wouldn't hold up, so we returned it and bought a Wiseco, which what we had before in it.

Hondamaster5505
06-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ridinga400ex
It's a very light weight cast piston. Molybdenum and teflon skirt coatings with anodized domes.

1) Cast may be lighter, but is very poor quality and has a higher chance of being destroyed/ wearing out quicker. Wiesco Pro-Lite is still almost just as light, but forged.

2) Don't fall for that coating bullcrap. We had ordered coated pistons when we rebuilt my dads banshee for the first time. Well, after only one 5-hour ride, we tore it back down because the guy who bored the cylinders made them slightly oversized. The banshee still had decent compression, but still was on the lower side. Well, we tore it down and the whole coating was gone already. It's a scam IMHO.

3) Anodized domes? That won't make a craps difference.

Wiesco is known and proven, and I won't use ANYTHING else except JE.

GPracer2500
06-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Cast pistons aren't as bad as you guys are making them sound. It's not like these are going in an ultra high strung engine on nitrous. In my estimation, few 400EX's will ever be able to destroy a cast piston just because it's cast and not forged.

The stock piston is cast and I wouldn't call it a low quality pile of crap.

Are there differences between forged and cast? Yes. Will the averagely modded 400EX ever be able to take advantage of the difference? IMO, probably not.

DementeD
06-15-2008, 02:37 PM
IMO...u get what u pay for..
for the added insurance of having a forged piston over a cast..ill pay the small difference in price..
its like buying HD studs vs using stock..
where stock may work but for the price..why not just have peace of mind knowing that the HD studs will work

thats just my opinion

being n the car racing scene for a while..ive seen a lot of people use stuff that id never trust and work fine..just not forever..
eventually the cheaper stuff shows why its the cheaper stuff and wears out faster..

krt400ex
06-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Cast pistons aren't as bad as you guys are making them sound. It's not like these are going in an ultra high strung engine on nitrous. In my estimation, few 400EX's will ever be able to destroy a cast piston just because it's cast and not forged.

The stock piston is cast and I wouldn't call it a low quality pile of crap.

Are there differences between forged and cast? Yes. Will the averagely modded 400EX ever be able to take advantage of the difference? IMO, probably not.

if the namura piston is a strong as stock or stronger...who cares that it is cast? if it is lighter than a forged piston wouldnt it allow the bike to rev faster because there is less reciprocating mass? to me, as long as it is strong enough, a cast piston would be the way to go.

i was considering going with a CP piston in my bike

ridinga400ex
06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for everyones input.I went with the Namura just cause it was there and the wiseco needed to be ordered.I already put it in and ran the quad for about 4 hours today through local trails and pits...to early to tell anything but man it feels good to back on the dirt!!I will be back with replies if anything goes wrong.Again thanks for all your experiences and opinions!