PDA

View Full Version : Brakes?

ride-to-live
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Alright my brakes where making a grinding noise so i was like.. hmm, is there brake fluid in the thing.. so i looked and nothing, so i put in brake fluid. Then i went around the track a few times and the grinding wasn't so bad, and i use my brakes alot like the back ones to slide on turns and well i locked up the rear brake and i slide and then bam! No brake pressure and the brakes not work at all.. the petal goes to the Nerf bars... Is that my Master Cylinder or my rear capilers? I dunno what the grinding like sound was but i know even with the grind like sound (Kinda squeaky) i still had back brakes and they worked fine..?

UNBROKEN
06-12-2008, 08:25 PM
it sounds like ure pads are gone get some new pads befor u chew ure rotar all up from the metal to metal contact

ride-to-live
06-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Why would i loose brake pressure suddenly and then they don't work?

UNBROKEN
06-12-2008, 09:25 PM
idk could one of the lines have a hole in it letting air in the line giving u that dead pedal ?

Exrider434
06-12-2008, 09:38 PM
that will happen when the metal on metal gets hot enough and warps the rotor, the brakes will come back after a while when it cools down a bit?

justin1022
06-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
that will happen when the metal on metal gets hot enough and warps the rotor, the brakes will come back after a while when it cools down a bit?

ya but they have to be basicly red hot you would never get them that hot from a lap on a track

ZJTurbo
06-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I just picked up EBC severe duty pads front and rear. Take a little while to brake in but are amazing so far.

-Ben

ride-to-live
06-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I'll Check my line to see if its got a whole in it.. because like this morning before i rode it around, they still have no pressure in the brake pedal.. it just goes all the way down and the brakes don't work or move... Could my master cylinder went out or maybe my line with a small hole or something? I'll no if i take off my brake fluid cap and see if there still any in there?

alex10
06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
The grinding noise is worn out pads.

fastredrider44
06-13-2008, 02:26 PM
The grinding is pads. The loss of pedal action could be a hole in the line, but chances are your master cylinder is out. You can rebuild that one, or buy a new one for like $15 more.

blaaze416
06-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I had the same prob a while back....dead pedal and grinding. I was on a long trip when I heard the grinding start, so decided to keep going and use the fronts more. Well, when we were done with ride and almost back to my van, my rear brake pedal lost al pressure. DEAD! Went to the nerfs. I first tried to bleed the line for two reasons...maybe air in the line, and/or I figured this would tell me if my master cylinder had craoked. i figured if it was the master cylinder, there would be no fluid coming form the bleed plug(?) Wasn't sure, but made sense to me (i am in my own little world, though). Well fluid did come out, but still no brake pressure. So deduced it was the caliper. Having never rebuilt a caliper, I opted to get a new one off ebay for around $100. Came with pads and new stay. Problem solved and ridin happy!
Also, if you have a block off plate, check the gasket on it, too. Once had one blow and lost all pressure. Good luck!

krt400ex
06-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ZJTurbo
I just picked up EBC severe duty pads front and rear. Take a little while to brake in but are amazing so far.

-Ben

that is all i run on mine and they are extremely powerful and last a looong friggin time. much more braking power especially when put together wit steel braided lines

krt400ex
06-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by blaaze416

Also, if you have a block off plate, check the gasket on it, too. Once had one blow and lost all pressure. Good luck!

i would think that would be the prob. same thing happened to mine and i couldnt see any fluid cuz i had sealed the PB block off wit gasket sement.

i got a new seal and viola...its all good. the thing is, this doesnt happen from the pb block off, it happens when you let your pads get too low. there is like a pin or piston that sticks out (it would be hidden by the pb block off or pb itself), and when the pads get too low the pin goes too far into the caliper when you hit the brakes. it will go past the seal, and when you let the brakes off, it will push the seal out or else pinch it. this causes the leak and loos of brake power