PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak issues

iowaexer
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Okay so i put my four wheeler back together and now i am having some issues. There is oil leaking somewhere in the top end and it is going down onto the exhaust and causing it to smoke. I thought is was the gasket for the cylinder head cover but i replaced it and it still does it. Also there is a knocking noise in the top end taht i can't figure out.

the Z Man
06-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I had the sam eproblem, for me it was the o-rings on the valve cover under the caps.
The knocking could be fuel related.
Where you at in Iowa? I am north of DesMoines about 20 min.
ziebell.thederiders.com

06-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by the Z Man
I had the sam eproblem, for me it was the o-rings on the valve cover under the caps.

i have the same damn problem, its annoying cause now I have to pay shipping on little gaskets that could be sealed in a envelope for all i care lol

the Z Man
06-11-2008, 09:48 PM
They are just o-rings you can get at any hardware store..

JC02400EX
06-11-2008, 11:35 PM
im having the same problem, mine is leakin on the left side above the head and gettin onto the exhaust somehow and smoking. i recently had the cam chain replaced and before i replaced the chain it didnt leak at all, but now its has been leakin ever since, but only on the left side, any additional input would be greatly appreciated, does this sound like the o rings or the gasket on the cover...

the Z Man
06-12-2008, 07:48 AM
There is also one or two oil washers that go on the valve cover, the bolt holes with an arrow on them...

iowaexer
06-12-2008, 02:17 PM
I checked and it isn't coming from the valve cover under hte caps. I can't really tell where it is coming from. I is just appearing on the top of start of hte exhaust header.

Honda#4
06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe you have a leaky head or base gasket?:ermm:

Exrider434
06-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Check the two allen bolts on the top left side of the valve cover, its what hold the rocker arms in i believe. They are somewhat hiddin by the frame and a wire. Mine is leaking from there, and i was told i just needed to replace the washers behind the bolts and it would stop.

alex10
06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Mine leaks from the allen bolts too. Do I just remove the bolt and screw it back in with a new crush washer?

justin1022
06-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by alex10
Mine leaks from the allen bolts too. Do I just remove the bolt and screw it back in with a new crush washer?

mine too can i undoo one alen bolt and replace the oring then put it back in then take the other one out or do i have to pull the head?

Exrider434
06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
i'm not sure. I'm not too worried bout it its a very small leak. It only leaks if i run it really really hard other than that its goood.