PDA

View Full Version : Smoking.

ride-to-live
06-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Ok, After i start my 440ex theres no smoke. Like when it's idle, and when i get on it blue smoke puffs out the exhaust. The bike idles fine, and runs as fast as always, so i was thinking it's the rings? Am i right or is it the valves. We just did a head gasket change and got it all back together and i have one stripped head screw that holds the valve cover down (The Rockers i think) and its not on tight because its stripped so theres a little gap big enough for a little oil to come out but all the other screws are on real tight. But when we took the head off the valves where a little dirty but weren't messed up or nothing, but if they where i guess the bike would be idling real high and not idling right.

Unknownrsx
06-11-2008, 07:59 PM
General rule of thumb for any motor...If it blows blue smoke right after startup its valve seals. If it blows blue smoke higher in the revs its piston rings.

ride-to-live
06-11-2008, 10:50 PM
How long can you ride with the piston rings messed up without messing something up?

Unknownrsx
06-12-2008, 06:59 AM
You really wont hurt anything else with worn rings except your wallet from having to add oil frequently. There will come a point though that the rings get worn down so much that u begin to lose compression. You've probably already lost some compression now but its just not noticeable performance wise.

ride-to-live
06-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Yea, I'll just grab some new rings when i get some spare cash.. i mean there not much. I'll just find some from ebay or order some from the local dealer ship. Now on rings, are they all the same size or do i need to buy some for my 440 piston that are bigger and what not?

Thanks.. :devil:

Exrider434
06-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Unknownrsx
General rule of thumb for any motor...If it blows blue smoke right after startup its valve seals. If it blows blue smoke higher in the revs its piston rings.

WHat if it blows blue smoke at start up all the way through the higher rpm's, but then stops once the motor has warmed up?

Unknownrsx
06-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by ride-to-live
Yea, I'll just grab some new rings when i get some spare cash.. i mean there not much. I'll just find some from ebay or order some from the local dealer ship. Now on rings, are they all the same size or do i need to buy some for my 440 piston that are bigger and what not?

Thanks.. :devil:
Ill have to let someone with more knowledge about rings and such answer that.

Unknownrsx
06-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
WHat if it blows blue smoke at start up all the way through the higher rpm's, but then stops once the motor has warmed up?
Sounds like valve seals. See, when the motor sits for a period of time with out running, the seals will leak a little oil down into the cylinder if their bad. Its generally a slow leak unless they're REALLY bad. So initially when u fire it up, it will burn off the oil in the cylinder for the first few seconds (depending on how bad its leaking and how long the motor has been turn off). If it then stops smoking, that means its not leaking bad enough to notice it when driving as the motor is burning it off before any real amount of oil can accumulate in the cylinder. A tiny leak will smoke bad on startup if the bike has been sitting for 24 or more hours, but its not leaking enough to really notice it when its running.

EXinMB
06-18-2008, 02:57 PM
ok heres one for ya.
my 02 ex with 440 and stg 2 hotcam jetted perfect then i change pipe and for the first while it smoked black on start up and warm up. now it doesnt anymore but now i check oil and its all good everytime i check but it smokes white now im thinkin my jetting is off because if i remember correctly white smoke is jetting issue

ride-to-live
07-30-2008, 09:24 PM
I thought white was a coolent or something when the motor gets really bad hot.

lilyamaharacer4
07-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by EXinMB
ok heres one for ya.
my 02 ex with 440 and stg 2 hotcam jetted perfect then i change pipe and for the first while it smoked black on start up and warm up. now it doesnt anymore but now i check oil and its all good everytime i check but it smokes white now im thinkin my jetting is off because if i remember correctly white smoke is jetting issue

Are you talking about it smoking when running or not because a new pipe will smoke especially after you run it for the first time then shut the bike off itll smoke for a bout 10 mins.