PDA

View Full Version : Spark Arrester?

08Honda400ex
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
does it harm the engine if you take the spark arrester out and run the bike. if so then how?

humdinger
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
No it doesn't but the forest service will give you a ticket if your out ridding in an area that requires one.

Michael

06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
leave it in. please do, it sounds so crappy with it out and it doesnt really do anything power wise because the exhaust still has to go through the smaller pipes and chambers

ONAGER II
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
leave it in. please do, it sounds so crappy with it out and it doesnt really do anything power wise because the exhaust still has to go through the smaller pipes and chambers well, it gives a small power boost, but like the first replier, you can very well get a ticket. but, it makes the bike more throaty , or more 2 strokey depending on the bike (cant describe the high pitched sound of a two stroke)

08Honda400ex
06-11-2008, 01:55 PM
i am not taking it out, i was just wondering if it harms the engine.

ONAGER II
06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
it wont. it just prevents small chuncks of superheated metal from leaving the engine from the exhaust pipe and statring forest fires.

08Honda400ex
06-11-2008, 01:57 PM
in the k n thread someone asked about it and someone replied saying it burnt his friend's valves up

Hondamaster5505
06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by 08Honda400ex
in the k n thread someone asked about it and someone replied saying it burnt his friend's valves up

Thats an urban legend, and anyone who actually believes that is stupid. (not refering to you, the idiot who posted that)

If that were true, aftermarket has way more flow. They would blow them out like crazy I guess.:rolleyes:

But the spark arrestor adds NO power, and sounds like a baby farting under water. the way the chambers are designed, it doesnt make a craps difference.

Now, there is a way you can mod the stock exhaust to make power, i made a thread about it. It also shows why the s/a alone wont do anything.

08Honda400ex
06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
lol ok

ONAGER II
06-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Thats an urban legend, and anyone who actually believes that is stupid. (not refering to you, the idiot who posted that)

If that were true, aftermarket has way more flow. They would blow them out like crazy I guess.:rolleyes:

But the spark arrestor adds NO power, and sounds like a baby farting under water. the way the chambers are designed, it doesnt make a craps difference.

Now, there is a way you can mod the stock exhaust to make power, i made a thread about it. It also shows why the s/a alone wont do anything. It DOES give you power, but too little to actually give you a advantage in a race. it may sound like "a baby farting under water", but it wont blow out valves. if it did, there would be alot of money to made by the atv manufactotors and the after market engine makers selling replacement valves.