View Full Version : first time R owner

stars on my arm
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I just received my first Honda 250 R yesterday from a friend who wasn't willing to put in the wrench time and a whole lot of TLC. This thing is a 88, with an 86 motor that needs help. For starters, the frame has been broken in two spots right behind where the headlight would sit. I think a friend with a welder can handle that, as long as everything is straight. Secondly, the chain bunched up by the front sproket and broke a chunk off the bottom left side of the motor. Other than that, it's ready to go! I'm stoked:devil: I can't wait to get this thing out! Any suggestions? thoughts? ideas?

86 Quad R
06-11-2008, 09:59 AM
make sure you check the frame over really good for additional cracks. and when it comes time to repair them make sure its done with a tig welder.

the best way to approach this project is to go over and inspect everything. inluding the cables, bearings, bushings ect ect.

you should be able to find a left case half on here or ebay if the one you have cant be repaired. in the event that should need to replace the case half. take the time to inspect the interns of the engine.

Rip_Tear
06-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Just curious as to why you say a Tig welder? I had my frame mig welded and it turned out fine... although the guy had to put it on the lowest settings so it didn't go through the steel.

86 Quad R
06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
done correctly, its a much much cleaner weld and most importantly it localizes the heat and will prevent future "beside the weld" cracking.

stars on my arm
06-11-2008, 10:02 PM
So, how can I insure that everything with the frame will be "true" meaning that everything will fit properly when it's all done? Are there any tricks to making it as straight as it once was? Other than it being cracked, it seems to be alright, but I don't want my friend to accidently add an inch to the length or anything.

baldathoR
06-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Just curious as to why you say a Tig welder? I had my frame mig welded and it turned out fine... although the guy had to put it on the lowest settings so it didn't go through the steel.

Mig welding the frame is fine but why would you turn the welder down?

The frame isn't exactly a thin material.

Rip_Tear
06-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Well my buddy has a big industrial welder, they weld some really heavy stuff, like 1/2" or thicker stuff mostly. The frame is like an 1/8th"... This guy did an awesome job on my frame and swingarm.

It's unlikely your friend will change the frame very much, it it was pretty good before and everything fit just make sure he doesn't over heat anything or add too much weld/material in places.

baldathoR
06-13-2008, 01:15 AM
1/2 inch or thicker with a mig welder?

Pigs flying in Canada?

BigBore24
06-15-2008, 05:50 PM
got n e pics