PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to ship an atv?

250Renvy
06-10-2008, 04:46 PM
There's an atv I want to buy but the seller says all shipping arrangement have to be made by buyer.

How hard is it to ship something that isn't yours?

What happens if you get the dimensions or weight wrong?

Is this even pointless to try?

Aceman
06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
How hard is it to ship something that isn't yours?
It all depends on how helpful the seller wants to be.

What happens if you get the dimensions or weight wrong?
Make sure you estimate heavier/larger if you don't know exactly. It definitely pays to know the exact weight/size though, unless you like paying extra shipping costs.

Is this even pointless to try?
I shipped my 250R from NJ, no problems. I used Forward Air. Tires/Nerfs were removed to meet the width requirements for the container.

250Renvy
06-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
It all depends on how helpful the seller wants to be.

I shipped my 250R from NJ, no problems. I used Forward Air. Tires/Nerfs were removed to meet the width requirements for the container.

How did you get it in the container with no tires?

Do you know if forward air handles it once it's in the container? Cause it will fit in the small container with the wheels off and they could just be stacked in there.

Do they charge extra to pick it up at the location?

Benjithx
06-11-2008, 04:54 PM
http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/

Easy, I live near Seattle and Project Black came from Michigan.

Cost effective too, I saved a bunch

Aceman
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
How did you get it in the container with no tires?

Do you know if forward air handles it once it's in the container? Cause it will fit in the small container with the wheels off and they could just be stacked in there.

Do they charge extra to pick it up at the location?

Forward Air is only terminal-to-terminal, pick another company if you want door-to-door. Once you put the quad in the container it's sealed with your own padlock. You can throw any extra crap in the container with it also that'll fit.

To get the quad in the crate, just open the door, park the quad right next to the opening and take the front wheels off. Put a piece of cardboard down, and set the front end on it(it's best to put some hard foam, rigid insulation, etc under the hubs though so it doesn't warp your rotors), slide it in and then repeat for the rear tires.