PDA

View Full Version : Busted and stuck carrier bearing problem

Unknownrsx
06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Hey guys and gals. Just picked up an 02 400EX about a month ago and came across this site. Very informative!

I was out riding yesterday and after a few hours in, I noticed something was loose in the back. I poked around and discovered the bearings were shot. Tore it all apart today, thanks to a thread on this site, and sure enough the bearings are toast. Anyways, I managed to get one side of the bearings out but cant get the other side. The problem is that the bearings and inner casing for the bearings came out leaving the outter casing still in the carrier. Thus I cant beat them out from the other side since only the outer casing is there and I cant get anything on it.

So far ive tried heating it in oven at 300C for 15 and 20 mins then banging on a 2x4 to pop them out (which worked for the other side but seperated the bearing on this side). Also tryed putting a torch on the carrier for a few minutes to no avail aswell. Im now stumped at what else to try and am very frustrated.

Any ideas?

hornetgod13
06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Higher temp in the oven for a bit longer and smack the heck out of it on that 2x4 again. It will come out.

Unknownrsx
06-10-2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks, ill give it a try.

440challenger
06-10-2008, 06:52 AM
I would get a billet greaseable dual row carrier for 120$ from east coast atv and be done with it. Stock carriers do not hold up so well.

Unknownrsx
06-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
I would get a billet greaseable dual row carrier for 120$ from east coast atv and be done with it. Stock carriers do not hold up so well.
Ive been looking at that option if I cant get the remainder of the bearing out. That site doesnt list the carrier but it looks like they're doing some work to it right now. I have a good local bike shop that ill probably order from if they can get one at a decent price. Shipping prices from the US to Canada can be a killer.

Exrider434
06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
If you have access to a press at all that will work wonders. Thats how i got mine out along with a propane torch.

dustin_j
06-10-2008, 08:11 AM
The East Coast ATV bearing carriers are sold on Ebay as well, that's where I got mine.

Unknownrsx
06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Well the higher heat for longer didnt work. That sucker just doesnt want to come out! I dont have access to a press so I cant try that. So ive decided to bite the bullet and by a Rad twin row billet one. East coast ATV doesnt ship to Canada so I had to look elsewheres on Ebay.

Thanks for all the help guys. Guess the quad will be laid up for a bit untill I get the new carrier.

dustin_j
06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Could you drive a chisel into the race to break it apart? Otherwise maybe cut it out? Either way, you'll like the dual row carrier better anyways:)

tim colston
06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
Could you drive a chisel into the race to break it apart? Otherwise maybe cut it out? Either way, you'll like the dual row carrier better anyways:)

^^^ He hit it! I had to use a side cutter and a chisel. Man do yourself a favor and do it this way but CAREFULLY, don't screw up your carrier. Where safety glasses as well, when that piece lets loose, well you can guess. Just take your time I will att some pics of what I had to go through. My mech. is pictured

tim colston
06-10-2008, 12:57 PM
dremel, any tool was considered. I also wouldn't worry about getting a new carrier so much as , to change your bearings once a year depending on how much you ride. It is a wear part, it is easier to do it prior to getting it out. IMO.

86 Quad R
06-10-2008, 03:47 PM
i always use the die grinder in these situations as tim posted. works great. otherwise, i use the "heat the carrier" method.

Unknownrsx
06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I thought about a chisel but didnt want to damage the carrier and figured I would. Oh well, the new one should be here in a week or so. I guess I should have inspected the carrier bearings a little better when I bought it last month. They were tight when I bought it but must not have had much grease in them.

hondaking52
06-10-2008, 06:00 PM
ya some ppl dont ship to us up here :ermm: , i also just bought a rad dual row carrier and i am very happy with it, i like the external grease fitting, were did you buy it from?

Unknownrsx
06-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by hondaking52
ya some ppl dont ship to us up here :ermm: , i also just bought a rad dual row carrier and i am very happy with it, i like the external grease fitting, were did you buy it from?
Got it off of ebay. $130 plus shipping. My local place wanted $279 plus tax for a lonestar dual row. :rolleyes:

hondaking52
06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
ya, from parts can right?(lonestar), but ya ebay is best for buying everything especially in canada, did you buy it from a ebay store called atvoffroad or somthing like tht?

Rip_Tear
06-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I'll give you the easiest trick, it's beyond easy.

What you do it take your one decent bearing, take it apart (get some of the balls out of it) keep the inner race. take the balls and inner race that you just got, put them in the old outter race that is stuck in the carrier, space the ball bearings out so that the inner race stays in place. Now it's just like a full bearing, you can even use the stock spacer to press that bearing/outter race out.

Thats how I've done mine every time, no heat required, makes it easy. The hardest part is getting a full bearing apart to get the balls from it...

Honda#4
06-11-2008, 06:25 PM
What I did when I replace my carrier bearings was had my mech weld a washer inside on the race then you can pound it out great with a punch.

Unknownrsx
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
ya, from parts can right?(lonestar), but ya ebay is best for buying everything especially in canada, did you buy it from a ebay store called atvoffroad or somthing like tht?
Actually, the one im getting is made by Rad. Ebay user is vipracing450 and ebay store is ATV MX RACERS CORNER. I went with the Rad because the grease zerk is located in an easier to access spot on the carrier. Although everyone say that Rad and Lonestar are both great.

Unknownrsx
06-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
I'll give you the easiest trick, it's beyond easy.

What you do it take your one decent bearing, take it apart (get some of the balls out of it) keep the inner race. take the balls and inner race that you just got, put them in the old outter race that is stuck in the carrier, space the ball bearings out so that the inner race stays in place. Now it's just like a full bearing, you can even use the stock spacer to press that bearing/outter race out.

Thats how I've done mine every time, no heat required, makes it easy. The hardest part is getting a full bearing apart to get the balls from it...
Great idea. Never even though about that. I think ill try that 2moro so atleast the stock carrier wont be a total waste.

I dont have access to a press, grinder or welder unfortunately. So I really cant try the other ideas mentioned. :(

hondaking52
06-11-2008, 07:58 PM
ya, i know you got the rad one, and so did i, and ur right its sweet cause of the outside grease zerk, you just got urs from a different store then me

Unknownrsx
06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
ya, i know you got the rad one, and so did i, and ur right its sweet cause of the outside grease zerk, you just got urs from a different store then me
What was the price on yours if u dont mind my asking?

alex10
06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I just bought a lonestar off ebay for $130. Is it a good carrier?

hondaking52
06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
unknown i paid wat you paid for urs, plus shipping and duty, alex10, ya tht is a good deal for a lonestar one

Dragsz09
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey I have the same problem but my bearing carrier is stuck on the axle! I have been hitting it with a BFH but its not moving. If you have any tips that would be great.

Rip_Tear
06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
My biggest suggestion for everyone who works on their own ATV or any mechanical stuff is save 200$ and buy a manual 20ton press, a smaller press may do but 20 should get you out of any situation and not cost an arm and leg.

As for your bearing you might as well just cut that thing off the axle, a grinder or dremel will do.

bartlettracing
06-15-2008, 07:36 AM
as a side note .... I have a stock carrier I took out of a new ex .. less than 10hrs on it ... $75 + ship paypal... good spare or replace the bad one you got ..