PDA

View Full Version : TIME FOR THE OVERHAUL! please help!

Knoxy
06-09-2008, 03:59 PM
hey guys.
i have had my YFZ for 2 seasons now, the motor has never been torn down and replaced, or even opened up for that matter.
i dont do any serious racing, alot of mud riding and trial really.
but i figure its time for an engine rebuild.

im going to do the top end. the valves, timing chain and possibly the bottom end.
im sure that there are alot of people out there that have rebuilt these many many times! so i need your help!

im so used to working on two strokes and this is going to be my first 4 stroke rebuild.
can any one help me in regards to things i should look out for? special tools i will need? special parts. or even a parts list for a rebuild?

basically i want to adjust the valves back to factory... if not replace them. and put the motor back into tip top shape!

just a basic run down of parts and tools and process would be the most amazing thing since..... fried chicken!!! lol

thanks guys... i feel like a noob.. and im sure that i can handle this because i do minor motor work all the time ... its just that my YFZ is my baby and i want to make sure that she runs forever!

thanks again

i really look forward to the responses on this one!

Ride1Rob
06-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Feeler gauge for the valves, valve spring compressor, and a flywheel puller are the only special tools you'll need. Only things to look out for are timing marks and how to reassemble the tranny. Buy a service manual and take pics of parts as they sit with a digital camera before you completly remove them. That'll be very helpful to use as a reference once you start the rebuild ;) .

daddio
06-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I would include the '07 oilier and oil pump.