PDA

View Full Version : what do I need to know - a new guy on a TRX400

SPDSNYPR
06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm a FNG to the sport quad scene. I bought one for myself for my 36th birthday because I have ridden a Honda Rancher a bit, and went out playing with some friends who had dirt bikes. I got hooked on going fast on trails. So, I went out and bought an 07 TRX400 brand new.

My friends told me to get all kinds of equipment with it. I naturally didn't listen and two days after I bought the quad, I rolled it backward down a hill and broke two ribs (luckily quad was OK - I saved it with my body).

Now I have all the gear, and I started looking here online for advice on how to set up my machine (I just took it out, put gas in it, and pegged the throttle and went screaming down trails).

A few months after healing up my ribs, I tried to start jumping stuff like I saw others at the track doing. I tore a disc in my back when I got confused on which of us was supposed to land on whom - me or the quad.

I've been reading up on lots of stuff here - and basically, It's all like reading chinese. I don't understand most of it (I break things, not fix them).

Well, now I'm doing something I should have done before - ask questions.

I'm a big guy - 6'04" about 265. I know the quad isn't made for sasquatches like me - but what should I do to set the shocks for trail riding for my giant ***? For mainly trail riding, should I put on nerf bars? Any riding tips other than don't run into **** and don't let the quad land on you? I'm not mechanically inclined, and doing more than changing oil and bolting on things that are made to be bolted onto it scares me.

Basically, any advice for a new rider with a quad. I love riding this thing, and my freinds are pushing my to try cross country racing (many of them race bikes) - but they know little about quads.

Thanks in advance.

trx400EXtreme
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
if you want to set up your quad for XC the biggest thing is probably suspension. get a good set of after market shocks. another thing is skid plates. you have to protect your investment. nerfs bars are def. nice to have, but some people that ride alot of trails dont like them because they can get hung up on things pretty easy. personally, i would rather have nerf bars because it gives me peace of mind knowing if my feet slip off the pegs, there is going to be something there to catch them.

DementeD
06-09-2008, 04:15 PM
first things first..i think u need to learn more respect for the bike and try to figure it out instead of just gasing it everywhere..

learn to ride....with ur protective gear..
then figure out what u dont like and go from there..

SPDSNYPR
06-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I've learned that plenty. I've really decided that I need to crawl for awhile before I try to sprint. And I have about every piece of protective equipment you can think of - and a backup for some.

Basically I don't understand shock settings. I don't know what preloading or rebound settings are or what I should have them set at. I was wondering if adjustments to those might make the ride less jarring.

Also, the nerf bars look like a good safety feature, but I am worried about them grabbing things on the trail.

Basically - I'm just new. I have read some magazines and forums, but don't understand a lot of the terminology. There is also very little (at least what I could find) novice-level explanations for most of what is discussed out there.

tri5ron
06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
JMHO,
for novice level explanations....
you say you've got the full body armor, this should include Chest-protector w/ shoulder plates/pads, elbow plates/pads, shin/knee plates/pads, (and of course boots, gloves, and brain bucket).

Buy the Nerfs.

Buy the full set Skidplates.
(A-arms, Frame, and Swing-arm)

Buy some Better FRONT shocks,(plenty of threads here for that)
(Your rear shock is plenty fine, just tighten your spring load
to better handle your weight).

Buy the CNC Steering Stabilizer.

Buy good hand guards.

Buy Handlebars w/crossbar, and a good crossbar pad.

Buy a good Exhaust, rejet, airbox mods.

Buy the Sparks Advance timing Key.

Buy a E-brake block-off plate, and Clutch lever/perch.

GET SOME CIVILIZED SEAT TIME, BEFORE YOU GO CC RACING...

and,......remember to keep the rubber side down.

BTW, Welcome to the Disease, its called A.A.D.S.,
(Accesory Aquisition Disorder Syndrome)
We have Group Support meetings on the 6th Saturday of each month....

NickG5755
06-09-2008, 10:41 PM
since you prob dont know what half this is ill explain

Originally posted by tri5ron
JMHO,
for novice level explanations....
you say you've got the full body armor, this should include Chest-protector w/ shoulder plates/pads, elbow plates/pads, shin/knee plates/pads, (and of course boots, gloves, and brain bucket).

Buy the Nerfs. - you know what they are

Buy the full set Skidplates.
(A-arms, Frame, and Swing-arm) - pretty self explanatory..although whne you buy get a .25 swingarm skid (thats the metal thickness) and everything else .190 will do just fine.. i find PRM to be a good brand

Buy some Better FRONT shocks,(plenty of threads here for that)
(Your rear shock is plenty fine, just tighten your spring load
to better handle your weight).
- Do a google search on PEP race series.. they not to bad pricewise and they can set them up for your weight

Buy the CNC Steering Stabilizer.- not as important but it will help keep the handlebars from being jarred out of your hands

Buy good hand guards. - look at some bark busters.. these are the ones with the metal that wraps around to the handle bar end and protects your hand

Buy Handlebars w/crossbar, and a good crossbar pad. - yo get some of the "jarring" eliminated Fasst Co. Flex bars are the ticket jsut google Fasst. Co Flexx bars

Buy a good Exhaust, rejet, airbox mods. -

HMF full exhaust is what i prefer..unless your trying to keep it relativly quiet REJET means this... inside your carb theres little screw looking things... each one controls the amount of fuel going to your motor.. jsut to keep it simple the 2 biggies are pilot (this controls fuel when your not pinned on the throttle and Main jet controls fuel when your wide open or near wide open..

When you put on parts (exhasut, or air filter usually) your allowing more air to get to the motor in the case of an air filter and in the case of the exhasut your letting it breath better..

sooo if your getting rid of air/fuel you need more air and fuel right? so lets say you put a full pipe on and now the current jets you have arent getting enough fuel to the motor (since its exiting quicker through your new performance exhaust) you need to get more fuel there aka put a bigger main jet in

i figured id try n clear up wjat jetting is to aan extent that you can relize that you should basically let a knowledgeable friend or shop do the work

Buy the Sparks Advance timing Key. - this isnt really neccicary until you find yourself craving more power

Buy a E-brake block-off plate, and Clutch lever/perch. - Eliminates the E-brake and any chance of it sticking

GET SOME CIVILIZED SEAT TIME, BEFORE YOU GO CC RACING... - learn to keep a good pace... XC (cross country) racing is all about endurance

and,......remember to keep the rubber side down.

SPDSNYPR
06-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks - this is the sort of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks for explaining it all and the input in general.

Now - until I can afford to replace the suspension - what should I set the stock shocks at? There are two settings (I think preload and dampening - no clue what that means). I turned the preload to the highest position. The dampening screw I left alone because I don't know what that does. Should I do something to it?

06-10-2008, 11:32 AM
450r front shocks are a great investment. You dont need aftermarket when you can get 450r fronts and then have all 3 shocks rebuilt. As for skid plates I like PRM. Maybe its because I have them I dont know but they hold up, mount up easy, and they are made very well. You dont really need a-arm skid plates. Depending on your weight for the shocks, i'm about 150lbs and my preload for the rear is about half way on the threaded portion and it could go a little more but whatever. Compression I havent touched and rebound I had to mess around with on the terrain I ride to see whats best. Turn it one way see how it is, turn it more see how it is, try turning it the other way and see how it is and you just look for what feels best. Play around with the settings. For the front though seriously pick up some 450r fronts. They ride so much better and if you get 2004 or 2005 the springs are softer so they work really good. The stock 400ex shocks theres basically no room to work with they are pogo sticks and have very little adjustment even on the 1 thing they can be adjusted for (preload). New front shocks and its a whole different machine.

QuadManiac
06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
From my experience, the best thing i did was reduce my front shock preload. Tall guys (I'm 6-3, 250) tend to sit farther back on the EX, so the load on the front shocks is lessened. With the stock preload setting, I was being bucked over whoops and had a generally harsh ride. I lowered my pre-load almost all the way and now have a much better ride overall. Granted, I don't jump a hell of a lot, but I ride hard and this made a world of difference for me.

Better shocks will make an even bigger improvement, but you still need to realize that being large does cause you to distribute more of that load towards the rear of the bike, and so adjust your shocks accordingly.

The most important added piece of safety gear (for the bike), IMO, is nerfs. If you ride hard, you will invariably lose your footing on the pegs and nerfs are the only thing protecting your ankles and legs from the tires that are trying hard to break them.

06-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by QuadManiac
The most important added piece of safety gear (for the bike), IMO, is nerfs. If you ride hard, you will invariably lose your footing on the pegs and nerfs are the only thing protecting your ankles and legs from the tires that are trying hard to break them.

Theres still a chance of breaking your leg with AC pro pegs lol. My brother and I riding hard through the woods one day well we were hauling over the whoops then hit a small jump his nerfbar on the left side bent and fell off and he ran over his leg lol. He didnt break his leg it was just a little sore good thing for riding boots but yeah He had to bend the bar for the nerfs at the peg mount back into place and he hasnt had a problem since besides the paint chipping off.

SPDSNYPR
06-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Again much thanks - I will play with the settings a bit. Nice to hear from another sasquatch who sounds like he rides about the same as I do. I've been out of town most of the week teaching and am itching to get back onto my toy.

leasureryan
06-13-2008, 09:25 PM
First upgrades should be HMF full exhaust or equivilant, EHS air box lid, jetted, and 450R shocks. With those mods, it should feel good and have more go go than it did from the factory. Other cheap mods are a cam, CRF timing chain, but then you are talking internals....worry about that as you NEED to, like, after you huff it fir the first time...lol. Skid plates and a arm guards.....that kinda stuff can come later. Just depends on whether you are shooting to be ahead of all the other guys on quads, or if you want to look good riding behind them. Take your pick.

lifeinthesouth
06-14-2008, 06:02 PM
A properly set-up suspension and experience will make you faster than any exhaust and jet kit out there.
Get the suspension worked out and some nerf's to save your ankles/legs and go have fun.
You're riding XC so you don't need huge horsepower like those dune draggin' guys.

06-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by lifeinthesouth
A properly set-up suspension and experience will make you faster than any exhaust and jet kit out there.
Get the suspension worked out and some nerf's to save your ankles/legs and go have fun.
You're riding XC so you don't need huge horsepower like those dune draggin' guys.

I agree 100% a good suspension makes you faster. In most cases though the stock 400ex suspension is fine for what they do and performance upgrades would be better. Suspension is expensive to fork over all of that money but its deffinately worth it. Get rid of those stock front shocks for at least some 450r fronts. They are cheap and work good. Take time to set up your suspension. Seriously making a few turns with a screw driver made my quad feel like a whole other quad, then I said wow I am stupid for waiting 6 months to finally do this. Then I adjusted preload and tuned my suspension a little more and once again I made it ride and handle so much better! If you spend enough time and effort with the stock rear shock you can get it to perform pretty good. Same goes with 450r front shocks, spend some time playing with them and theres no way you would say they are a little better than stock you will end up saying these are amazing and stock fronts on the 400ex are crap.

SPDSNYPR
06-16-2008, 09:44 PM
I just adjusted the preload on my front shocks all the way down - what a huge difference already. The whoops were so much easier to take at higher speed - no feeling like I was about to endo the thing the while time. I feel dumb for waiting this long to screw with it. Now I'm starting to look at the 450 shocks. Of course, the hardest part of this is getting the wife to let go of the purse strings. :blah:

I think I am going to add nerfs first, though. Caught a root today and almost came off in a bad spot (as if there is a good spot). Thank goodness for the boots. I also need to try to quit keeping up on guys on 450 dirt bikes who have raced for years and actually know what they are doing. :devil:

Again much thanks.

SPDSNYPR
06-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by QuadManiac
From my experience, the best thing i did was reduce my front shock preload. Tall guys (I'm 6-3, 250) tend to sit farther back on the EX, so the load on the front shocks is lessened. With the stock preload setting, I was being bucked over whoops and had a generally harsh ride. I lowered my pre-load almost all the way and now have a much better ride overall. Granted, I don't jump a hell of a lot, but I ride hard and this made a world of difference for me.

Better shocks will make an even bigger improvement, but you still need to realize that being large does cause you to distribute more of that load towards the rear of the bike, and so adjust your shocks accordingly.

OK - going to order nerfs next week (payday). The adjusting preload out really helped, and now I'm wondering what I should set the rear shocks at. FHR said playing with them would help - but I need a starting point. Since you are about my size QuadManiac, I was wondering what you have done to your rear shocks. Did you leave the preload where it was at? How about the rebound and compression dampening. The Honda manual is pretty vague (saying clockwise is harder - I don't know if that's better or worse or course).

Again, basically I just ride trails as fast as I feel comfortable. I have no plans to try jumping stuff anymore (I've spent enough time in the hospital this year between work and riding).

Any and all additional help appreciated.

warr72
06-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I wouln't worry to much on mods till you get more seat time on a quad. The 400 is a great bike to start on.

warr72
06-23-2008, 11:23 PM
I feel your pain as I just got healed up from getting run over as I got knock off after landing a jump. I am 6'1" and 230 lbs and the 400 felt real comfortable to me once dialed in. Easy quad to work on and set up. Nerfs are good idea. :D

Chaos320
06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
i feel ya, i just also got myself a 07 trx400ex and also im a bigger guy, altough not heigh wise but i still like it :D

I love my trx but im not all excited about spending more money on upgrades after i already paided enough for the 400ex itself.

and my first time riding out i also rolled it, luckely i dident hurt myself, i learned self respet for it QUICK.

Its not a toy to just try and gas right out of the trail, after riding it for about 3 months i finally am just starting to get air off it because i dont wanna kill myself (or even hurt) if i dont have to.

It takes time inorder to even start tryin to look like you have been riding for a while, but if you get good enough its worth it.

Take it slow and enjoy the new toy!

o btw hello everyone, im new :)

speedfoxracing
06-24-2008, 12:41 PM
nerf bars are a nice add on 4 the track and really any were exspically powerslides and donuts lol

AZ440ex
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
I agree with most of the suggestions for add on's but I think if your just starting out and not racing just keep the oil changed, fuel tank full and enjoy it for some time. The aftermarket goodies is a never ending pit as many of us on here can tell you. Long travel suspension can cost as much as the quad did.

Skid plates are great, I like nerf's (they have saved me some pain) and I think good hand guards would be nice (I had to go to the hospital to have a 1 1/2 inch mesquite thorn removed from my knuckle)

After you ride it for some time or want to start racing or riding hard then consider 450 shocks and such. I rode mine stock for about a year and it was a blast. Now 5 years and $6,000 dolars later I still love it.

JMO

TheNewn
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Before you buy ANYTHING, you should research the type of item you want to buy as much as you can. After market things for quads can get pretty expensive, and the feeling that you wasted your money BLOWS, trust me.

In my opinion, the VERY first thing you should buy for your 400, is skid plates. ESPECIALLY if you ride in any rocky areas.

If a rock hits just wrong, things can get real expensive real quick. Like another poster said, i'd recommend .250 (1/4") rear skid plate unless you feel the trails you ride aren't that rocky, then .190 for everything will be good.

Here is a little list of things i'd buy first to last:

1 Skid plates

2 Nerf bars

3 Get your handle bar situation figured out. (Better handle bars, maybe risers because you're so tall, hand guards maybe) I think risers would help a lot with how comfortable it is to ride considering your hight.

4 Steering stabilizer (You should notice a BIG difference)

5 HMF slip on exhaust/jetting

6 TIRES (I'd look into Kenda Claws, but there are LOTS of good ones)

7 450R shocks (Most people find them stiff on a 400EX because they have shorter a-arms then a 450R, shorter meaning less leverage on the shocks, but seeing as how you're over 200 pounds, they shouldnt' be too bad)

8 Rebuild all 3 shocks (assuming you got 450r shocks)

After that its really up to you.

When you're adjusting your suspension, to avoid any confusion ALWAYS measure your adjustments in terms of clicks away from full IN.

So starting off, count how many clicks it takes to bottom out the screw, screwing it IN. Now you have your starting point. Do this for both rebound and compression.

there's probably more im forgetting, i'll probably post again later.

TheNewn
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh yeah, Here is a REALLY good deal on a HMF slip on exhaust, you wont find better i bet. $199

http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=392000

There are most models offered with this price, so any of your friends who have quads you should share this with.

400ex28
06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
Before you buy ANYTHING, you should research the type of item you want to buy as much as you can. After market things for quads can get pretty expensive, and the feeling that you wasted your money BLOWS, trust me.

In my opinion, the VERY first thing you should buy for your 400, is skid plates. ESPECIALLY if you ride in any rocky areas.

If a rock hits just wrong, things can get real expensive real quick. Like another poster said, i'd recommend .250 (1/4") rear skid plate unless you feel the trails you ride aren't that rocky, then .190 for everything will be good.

Here is a little list of things i'd buy first to last:

1 Skid plates

2 Nerf bars

3 Get your handle bar situation figured out. (Better handle bars, maybe risers because you're so tall, hand guards maybe) I think risers would help a lot with how comfortable it is to ride considering your hight.

4 Steering stabilizer (You should notice a BIG difference)

5 HMF slip on exhaust/jetting

6 TIRES (I'd look into Kenda Claws, but there are LOTS of good ones)

7 450R shocks (Most people find them stiff on a 400EX because they have shorter a-arms then a 450R, shorter meaning less leverage on the shocks, but seeing as how you're over 200 pounds, they shouldnt' be too bad)

8 Rebuild all 3 shocks (assuming you got 450r shocks)

After that its really up to you.

When you're adjusting your suspension, to avoid any confusion ALWAYS measure your adjustments in terms of clicks away from full IN.

So starting off, count how many clicks it takes to bottom out the screw, screwing it IN. Now you have your starting point. Do this for both rebound and compression.

there's probably more im forgetting, i'll probably post again later.

I agree with this fella

AZ440ex
06-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn

there's probably more im forgetting, i'll probably post again later. [/B]

Also keep track of your adjustments and ride it to feel the changes. I keep a log to help set up the suspension for different riding and in my case different tracks.

TheNewn
06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
There are also a lot of little CHEAP things you can buy along the way, whenever you feel like it:

Brake block off plate/remove the parking brake cable.

softer grips, if you have any trouble with blisters (Look into Oury brand grips)

bumpers/grab bars (AC makes some nice ones)

shock covers to protect them from dirt, and the look if you like them.

Foot peg extenders (Pro Armor makes something like this, pretty handy if you don't plan on getting nerf bars with the built in heel guards/pro peg type of deal)

Outer wares for your filter is a very good idea, especially K&N filters (i have this set up) Cheap and effective.

and a lot more people im sure will chime in with.

TheNewn
06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Sorry for spewing out a lot of crap at ya, but one last thing :)

I think this is a pretty good deal you should consider getting, the built in heel guards and LARGE pegs with the kick ups i think you'll really like.

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/product/ROCK-SUPER-SERIES-NERF-BARS-POLISHED/?catalogId=109630&refine=1&catID=321&pcatID=266&catName=Nerf+Bars&srchHistoryURL=9sow9qta||parentCategoryID~264^supe rParentCategoryID~category_root^parentCategoryName ~ATV^categoryID~265^categoryName~ATV%20Parts^subCa tegoryName~Body%20Parts%20and%20Accessories^subCat egoryID~266@vm1bnbks||parentCategoryID~266^categor yID~321^categoryName~Nerf%20Bars

they also come in black, but i wouldn't recommend it, once the paint scratches after you rub against some trees, it looks like crap. But one idea you could do is put skate board like grip tape along the outer edge.

Two websites i'd buy most everything from if i was you are

[url]www.rockymountainatv.com

www.motosport.com

rockymountainatv.com

Both have free shipping over 100 dollars, and lets face it, its easy as hell to spend 100 dollars on a quad.

SPDSNYPR
06-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Once again gracias for all the responses.

I have ridden on a grand total of 4 tracks to date - none of them were rocky at all (central Oklahoma - we're all about clay and mud it seems). I think skid plates are a good idea, but I've only hit roots to date so they may come after the nerfs and maybe some handlebars. Oddly, just moving my handlebars forward quite a bit has helped me more than anything to date. Nothing fun about turning and your knee hitting the thumb throttle for you!! :eek2: And everyone thinks being tall is so great - those people who have never gone into a trailer house and been ten-ringed in the forehead by a low-slung ceiling fan!

Just rolling the bars forward really helped my control of the machine. They were also bent slightly the first time I rolled the quad (the broken ribs) along with the front bumper. I've thought that taller bars with less bend toward me (can't think of what it's called) might help even more. But I hate to mail-order something that I can't feel in my hands then have to throw it in a junk pile if they don't work. The local dealership doesn't have a lot of bars in stock.

Ah well. I'm going to concentrate on playing with the rear suspension for now - then look at things to bolt on after the nerfs and bars. I'm not sure I know what a steering stabilizer does - I assuming smothing to do with stabilizing the steering :huh.

Man - I can already see this thing eating away at my bank account. And I thought Jeeps and guns were expensive hobbies!

Again, thanks - and keep the info coming. And don't feel bad about putting it in dumb-*** terms. I am aware of the fact that I am not very smart.

warr72
06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
If you want bars for hosses like us I went with factory CR250 bars and fell in love with them. My friend uses factory KX125 bars as he likes his bars a little lower. Oh my, you did the thumb throttle with the knee trick too. lmfao I did it on my 450 and was ran over. :( Rash up my back, arse legs and elbow. All in a good day.

NickG5755
06-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Bars do make a huge difference. I'm not as tall as you but i also liek bars that have very little pull back. If you go on www.RockymountainAatvmc.com sign up for the free catalog. Its seriously like 2 inches thick and anything you could ever need for you 400 is in there,, they have bar mesurements in there and you can compare stock with what you want. just look for something with less pullback than the others and youll like them.

Youll see something called fatbars in there and those are thicker walled bars (very tough) i always run them on my dirtbikes and trust me they can take a pretty good beating.

Did you get your 400 serviced yet? Oil change/ Valves adjusted.

SPDSNYPR
06-24-2008, 11:19 PM
I have changed the oil twice myself. I haven't gone in for a valve adjustment yet. Every time I load the thing up on the trailer and start out for the dealership, I end up at the track. Can't figure that one out. ;)

Actually, it's in the works for later this week when I'm at work anyway. Looked into doing it myself but after reading up on it, I decided it's WAY over my head.

TheNewn
06-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Adjusting the valves is actually very simple. And it'll save you money in the long run doing it yourself.

One thing you should look into getting right away, is a service manual. Tells you everything you need to know and then some about everything you can think of.

Clymers are popular, or you can get the factory service manual.

SPDSNYPR
06-26-2008, 02:29 AM
Yeah a service manual is probably a good idea anyway.

And on the valve adjustment - I'd probably pick up on it pretty quick if I actually had someone show me how to do it step by step in person. But I don't feel comfortable doing it myself after just reading about it. It's worth the $75 shop fee to not screw up my new toy. Maybe they'd let me hang around and watch them do it if I cried real hard and threw a fit.