PDA

View Full Version : 03KFX400 frame junk

ifixtheyride
06-09-2008, 05:42 AM
What's the deal with the 03 frame it's junk? Did they use recycled metal or what? My 100lb 14 year old keeps cracking the frame. Yesterday we went to the track and hes not even on the protrack and yes he has cracked the shock mounts before but after paying $40 bucks to ride after maybe 10 laps we were loading it back up. The repaired shock mount made it the other side that was repaired last year did not then the subframe connection right above the rear brake pedal broke right at the tab. The frame below the motor also cracked and yes the front fender mount bracket busted again only this time it found its way into the radiator before we caught it and put a good sized hole in it. The rear mounts have been gone the tabs broke right off the plastic last year had to make a fix for that. Would a gusset kit really help? Its not like he wasn't landing good either he was. I put alot a money in this quad for a 14 year old I really can't afford to move up to a 450 which probobly has it's issues also seams like they all do. After all that does anyone have a radiator for sale?

03KFX400
Athena Big Bore
White Bros Ex
Kibblewhite valves
Houser Swingarm
Procom Rev box
K&N air filter w/no lid
Jetted
ASV levers
Renthal Twinwall bars
Motorsport Alloys Tork Rims:mad:

NRPkfx400
06-09-2008, 12:38 PM
This will fix your problems. You need to get a gusset kit. This will strengthen your son's frame. It is a little pricey but it should work and save you riding time and money in the long run.

ifixtheyride
06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Any particular brand I notice some have more gussets then others and are there directions on where to place them?

bellzbub
06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
the bare performance kit is the one most people run. $75 plus the welding.

the early 03 frames were weak. but i have run mine from day one with no problems. got it when the z came out. only 3 were in the state at the time. i added the bare gusset kit 2 winters ago and have had no problems, i go to the track and race hare scrambles with it and i weigh 225 lbs.

QuadRid3r442
06-09-2008, 07:53 PM
yeah the 03 frames blow. i have a 03 z400 and damn every bolt i take out is either stripped or wont come out :mad: but wut are u going to go. i just gotta have a bunch of holes re-threaded for now

ifixtheyride
06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys I just needed to vent a little I will probobly get the bare kit just wish I would have done it over the winter. I'd rather spend the money on the front suspension but what are you going to do. The KFX450 frame looks solid has anyone heard of any issues with that or any other nagging problems they have been out couple years now problems should be showing their ugly heads soon!