PDA

View Full Version : x-treme good 1st quad for kid?

SPDSNYPR
06-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I just got into riding quads (honda trx 400), and my son really wants to come play. He has already learned to ride around on a rancher 350 which I had for a few years. The boy is 10, and is a big, strong kid (I'm 6-04, so he's a genetic yeti).

I've been looking around at the hondas and yamahas - but they haven't really impressed me much for the price. We have an xtreme shop in town, and they look more like what I think he'd dig - a little sportier. My son weighs about 90 lbs - but after a few years of wrestling and gynmastics, he is very solid so I think he'd take to it like a fish to water.

Have you (the masses) had pretty good luck with these quads and what would an appropriate size be for starting out (even though he already knows how to ride fairly well because I was too dumb to know he shouldnt have been riding such a big machine).

Any help appreciated.

Ride1Rob
06-09-2008, 06:22 AM
The Xtreme is surely the best bang for the buck in terms of what you're getting compared to some of the other brands. What is going to come into play with your son is his size. I don't think he'll be on the Xtreme that long. I would consider a Raptor 250.

SPDSNYPR
06-09-2008, 09:16 AM
I thought about that, but the sales guys around here are real nazis about the age recs on the quads. The honda salesman pretty much told me flat out they wouldn't sell me a 90 yet because they thought he should be learning on a dirt bike. The yamaha guy wasn't as bad, but acted like I was breaking the law and he would be arrested if I tried to get their similar quad. Plus, the 250 raptor seemslike an awful lot of power/weight. But I'd sure be happy if we got one!!

Ride1Rob
06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
From what you said earlier, your son has already been riding your old 350. If that's the case he's familiar with shifting and such. Also, you said that he was a big kid for 10 and that's why I was saying go with the 250. Sit him on each bike and see what suits him best. You surely don't want him riding something that he's overextended on and if he's not as mature in terms of riding experience he surely needs a smaller bike.

In terms of the dealerships not selling you a bike (TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!!!) Even the Typhoon 125 is supposed to be for kids 12yrs and over. My son got his when he was 6 and fit it perfectly so go figure :confused: .

markvette
06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
he is too big for the xtreme. go back to the yamaha dealer and tell them you are buying it for your 16 year old son. how would he know if you have another kid at home or not.

Mark

SPDSNYPR
06-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

RTJ
06-20-2008, 11:25 PM
HAVE U LOOKED AT THE CAN AM 250. MY SON GOT HIS WHEN HE WAS 10 AND HE LOVES IT. THEY'RE NOT NEAR AS POWERFUL AND QUICK AS A RAPTOR. BUT THEY ARE PLENTY FOR A KID. THE ONLY THING U MIGHT NOT LIKE THEY R AUTOMATIC. U MIGHT NOT WANT YOUR SON GROWING UP NOT SHIFTING GEARS BUT ME MYSELF FOR TRAIL RIDING I WOULDN'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE.
GOOD LUCK WITH WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE
OH YEAH BY THE WAY, IM NOT BRAND BASHING BECAUSE THERE ARE GOOD AND BAD IN ALL MAKES BUT WE HAD 3 XTREMES BEFORE THE CAN AM. 2 90'S AND 1 125. WE HAD TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE WITH ALL 3. THEY R THE REASON MY SON IS NOT RACING TO DAY

catfish66
08-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I am new to this site but i would like to be as nice and helpful as possible my son raced a apex for a year but we switched to a typhoon 125 its been heavly mod xtream sponcers him they just sent a new expermental motor to try yes its agood quad for kids we use a heel toe shifter he loves it thank you for your time

double d 1
08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
tell us more about this experimental motor!!!

catfish66
08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
we kept breaking cranks after we mod the motor one of my sons sponcers QUEST ATV great people talked to xtream said he 15 motors he was sending out to try IT came compleat so far we havent had any problems yet no broke cranks no sliping clutch Iwill keep everyone up to date my son won the track series last year wiyh this quad he likes it 100% better than a apex

RTJ
08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
SPDSNYPR
just curious did you decide on a quad for your son

Bill Lemans
09-08-2008, 07:08 AM
Coincidentally, my sons buddies have an Extreme 125 and a CanAm DS 250. My son is also 10 going on eleven in November.He's about 95 lbs. and about 5ft. 1".

I know the 125 is small for him(leg room) considering growth rate etc. The DS fits great.

My son's 96cc eton blows it away by 2-3 quad lengths in the first 200-250ft. then the 125 has higher top speed.

The DS is about even with the eton then has a higher top speed after about 200 ft.

They both look pretty cool IMO.

According to my son ;

The DS is way heavier, especially the front end.

The extreme handles better, less tippy

The extreme, even with a Fox float doesn't have enough back shock travel for jumping.Of course my kid is bigger and heavier than the kid that rides it. That can be adjusted or redone for a heavier rider. Front is excellent with the Elkas(go figure)The stock front Extreme shocks are on his eton and don't perform that great .

The DS just has stock shocks and as far as jumping goes, they're not really built for it, but handle evryday trail riding fine.

The DS is faster....

The shifting on the Extreme is harder than the DS.

My son, Zack, says if the extreme was larger anfd faster, he would prefer it for racing and hard trail riding. If you could put good shocks on the DS and lighten up with aluminum wheels, he would pick that because it's more comfortable.

Ground clearance is better on the DS.

From my point of view, i guess it depends on what kind of riding your boy is going to do. As well as if your looking to ride outta the crate or are willing to do some mods. I personally get a bit frustrated with finding the perfect quad for this size and age group without making mods. Also consider where your riding. They can and will ticket you if they catch him on it(either quad) on public riding areas. (at least in here in MIchigan)Check your local laws.

Also, the stock exhaust on the Extreme is very loud, and the DS is fairly quiet.

Adults can ride the DS, Extreme doen't work so good that way.

What I have found to be a good fit , size wise and power wise is a Yammie Blaster with a 80 or 85cc two stroke. Of course this is all modification work to get the best of both worlds. Will be pricey as well. Or a modded Honda 90.

I have very little experience with either machine, but thought i would shoot some facts your way from a kids point of view and what I noticed. Didn't mean to ramble.......
:D Good Luck . Let us know what you pick !

lilman
09-08-2008, 09:18 AM
does the new motor make good power? i am in need of a arms as well my boy is riding over the limits of the suspension now.hes hitting so hard hes getting shy of the jumps.any info on the a arms as to where to get them as well as the rear swing arm ,any ideas there? i"m sick of welding it up

Bill Lemans
09-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by lilman
does the new motor make good power? i am in need of a arms as well my boy is riding over the limits of the suspension now.hes hitting so hard hes getting shy of the jumps.any info on the a arms as to where to get them as well as the rear swing arm ,any ideas there? i"m sick of welding it up

Are you referring to the eton ?

lilman
09-08-2008, 05:48 PM
i guess i should have said typhoon when asking about the suspension parts

SPDSNYPR
09-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by RTJ
SPDSNYPR
just curious did you decide on a quad for your son

I haven't yet. Been dealing with a bunch of family drama. Sister's kid has been on a ventilator almost since it was born and is doind terrible. On top of that, I injured my neck and had to have two minor surgeries to fix it. Buying a quad got put way back of the to do list.

RTJ
09-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. i hope things turn around for you soon we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers