PDA

View Full Version : New to dirt,Honda, and the forum

DJack
06-08-2008, 08:58 PM
After 20+ years of sport bikes I stepped over to the dirt side. Sold the 06 Yamaha R1, and picked up a 2000 TRX 400ex. Was after a banshee after I rode my friends, but found a great deal on the Honda. Glad I picked it up!!:eek2:
I have seen the 440 mod,air filter,pipes, jet kits etc.
What is the best route to do,m and mods to do first if I want to build the bike up to an evential 440 bore kit?? Not looking to race, but get more bang(like it needs it).

DementeD
06-08-2008, 09:07 PM
id do 416 over 440

anyway..start with a nice slip on + cam and k&n or uni filter and jet accordingly..

should wake the beast up some there..
theres also other small mods u can do as well
like remove the choke n the carb..grind down the welds in the header
also a nice cheap mod is a sparks advance timing key..great performance gain for cheap..

shee's are nice..but they are expensive and more maintance then id want..
thats why i went with a 400ex..plus it was pretty damn cheap veyr easy to work on and Honda reliable...great choice..

DJack
06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks, sounds like a good start, and enought to keep me busy. Any specific cam type? Also slip on or full system?

drew416ex
06-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I say if your going to eventually go bigger, go ahead and get a full system. I say a Curtis Sparks x-6 but they are a little over $500, but worth it. I also say 416 with 11:1 compression and a hotcam stage 2 with k&n.

DJack
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
I say if your going to eventually go bigger, go ahead and get a full system. I say a Curtis Sparks x-6 but they are a little over $500, but worth it. I also say 416 with 11:1 compression and a hotcam stage 2 with k&n.

Thanks alot, is the jetting somthing the shop will complete or do I have to buy something for that as well?

06-08-2008, 09:38 PM
If your looking to do major motor work in the future just buy the full system exhaust up front. it will save you time and money rather than buying it later or having a slip on made into a full system. Start with the basics before you decide to open the motor and throw stuff in. Get a good exhaust and a good airfilter. I recomend Curtis Sparks or HMF for exhaust and K&N for the airfilter but UNI is alright too. Take off the airbox lid maybe get an outerwears over it. Jet for the mods and make sure its jetted right. See how it runs. If it runs pretty good and you dont think you need more power then good job done. If you still want more power get a hotcam. Stage 1 or stage 2 work really good and give you quite a power increase. See how it runs after that. Just dont buy parts that you have to replace or take off if you decide to bore it out. For example you buya higher compression piston for the stock bore size then you decide you want a overbore. Well now you have to get another new piston.

NickG5755
06-08-2008, 09:39 PM
if its even a half decent shop and they are the ones doing the exhaust / cam / top end install for you they should jet it for you

DJack
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
thanks

06-09-2008, 02:28 PM
this is the order you should mod a machine...

1. protection-for you and the bike-skids minimum of .250 thick swinger skid and a any chassis skid...helmet, gloves, boots, etc

2 suspension-stock suspensions sucks...you can go a lot faster on stock performance if the bike handles well than you could with slight engine output mods

3. performance-now go for the pipe, filter, cam, etc...got big money, port polish, bore it out...etc

4. make it pretty

DJack
07-03-2008, 04:16 PM
cleaned the filter and put on an outwear. Can I run the atv with out the airbox lid without a rejet??Or will I damage it with out a rejet???

buster024
07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Can I run the atv with out the airbox lid without a rejet??

You probably can depending on altitude and a few other variables. It may make it run better, and it may suffer as well. I've seen both. I also would agree with the 416 upgrade, and the Curtis Sparks exhaust. With the 416 you can keep the stock bore size, just resize the sleeve inside it. You have also an option to go with a stroker (longer) style crank. A 4mm longer stroke, combined with the 416 bore, good exhaust, 450R carb, better cams, and you've pretty much got a 450 (or better).

That being said, suspension, suspension, suspension first. All that power will suck peter if the bike won't stay underneath you. 450R stock shocks are an inexpensive upgrade that make a big difference. There's 200 threads on this site about them. If money isn't tight, find yourself some new or used Elkas, Motowoz, PEPS, or Axis (I'm sure I'm leaving good brands out). Suspension is the best upgrade for the 400 without question.

Most of all, enjoy the bike and the build! Welcome to the site!

DJack
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks, I live at 7,500 feet elevation up in the mountains. It is louder and fells snappier in response with no lid. I was just worried that I would damage something without the rejet. It does feel way better without the lid.

vAnS_77
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
The most you could ever do for your 400ex is get a suspension kit, you can find them at stores like www.kandkatv.com The other thing you might want to do if you beat the pulp out of your atv is put a gusset. That is a support kit, your local weilder or if you have a TIG weilder, they retail for around 75.00 .www.bareperformance.com.

Engine wise, just keep it stock if you want your value of your 400ex to last. 400ex are known to last FOREVER if you take care of them. They have the hardcore service value of an old XR. By stock I mean Engine boring wise, Polishing ports/ new vavles never hurt anyone. An aftermarket pipe is really nice to have adds character to your quad. It almost presents a kind of feeling like " Oh that guy runs a 'TC shorty', which is known to be loud(very annoying also). Choose your exhaust wisely because they tend to last for a long time, and cost alot of money. Other than that I would go with suspension FIRST. I waited a long time when I had my 400ex, it was a mistake. Congratz on your new ride!