PDA

View Full Version : Aircards and Online gaming

Kickstarts-suck
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
My brother is in Texas AFB and just got a laptop and an aircard for internet. He just bought BF2 to play online with me and he keeps getting kicked for high pings in every server. (even servers in Texas)

Do aircards just suck with online gaming or is there something he could do to fix this?

He said the internet is pretty slow and takes a while to DL things.

JLanphear
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
well.....

from my experience the connection with aircards is always up and down...sometimes they are running great, then 30 seconds later they are about as fast as a 56k modem....then another 30 seconds later they are back at full speed. makes sense though because that's how cell phones are too.

also the fine print from most of the wireless company's says they do not allow them to be used for online games and etc.....which i thought was kind of funny. you pay an arm and a leg for the service and can't do what you want with it.

Rip_Tear
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
As far as I know Air Cards like Satelite internet is terrible for gaming, due to the ping issue, which is the time it takes to send info to the server and get it back.

With those types of internet you are able to send and receive large files, but it's the time it takes to go back and forth. Usually with a good internet connection you should get anywhere from a 5ping to 150ping, but with a air card or satelite you'd be lucky to get 1000ping.

So basically he is outta luck for using the air card for gaming. He'd be much better with DSL, Cable for a good constant ping.

Kickstarts-suck
06-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Ok thanks alot.

Guess he will have to find a way to get another source of internet.