PDA

View Full Version : black oil immediately?

benroels
06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
One more question - and thanks for all the quick replies - I change my oil (Silkolene 10W 40, full syn) and let the motor warm up for a couple of minutes. The oil turns black immediately. Does this mean worn rings? Thanks again.

I do know she's got probably at least 60-70 hours with no over haul or rebuild. Still runs perfect. Starts real easy.

Ideas?

06-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I would agree with you that it is blow by. My quad did the same thing until I rebuilt the motor.

d3ktrix
06-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Blow by or the oil isn't changed frequent enough and causing contamination of the new oil.
How often do you change the oil? Always consistent with changes?

06-09-2008, 07:10 AM
I have changed the oil in my quad everytime I ride it since it was brand new in January of 2004. It doesn't matter if it is a weekend trip or a 2 hour ride. It gets a clean air filter and clean oil. My oil used to get black as the ace of spades in 5 minutes. Now after the rebuild, it still looks kinda clear after riding.

benroels
06-09-2008, 08:18 AM
My changes have been fairly infrequent. Anywhere between 2 hours and 5 hours of use. Trail and sand riding. Filter changed everytime both oils were changed. I would think that this condition isnt great for it overall, but it still runs strong. Thanks for all the input, Ben

Sjorge450R
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
dont worry about it. The reason it is turning black so quickly is the fact that there is some oil left in the motor after you pull the drain plug. Then, when you add the new oil, it mixes with that and then takes on its color. If you wanna get rid of it, just grab a quart or two of cheap oil, change the oil twice (like almost immediatly. Just start it and let it get hot, then drain it) then it should clean out the motor. Not sure why you are so concerned about it tho.

d3ktrix
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
If he's changing the oil after 2-5 hours of ride time I doubt it's old dirty oil contaminating the new oil.

I change my oil after every 3 rides. I can see through it for ride 1 and 2, after the 3rd ride it's dark.

If he was going longer on the oil changes then I'd say it could be that, but if hes really changing it after 2-5 hours I don't see how it could be.

eastside 400
06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
black oil is normal, i own 2 450's for 3 years now, ive done plenty of rebuilds, change oil every ride, my oil turns black after one warm up period, its mostly from the old oil that sitting on everything inside the engine, its normal, no need for rebuild unless you are low on compression

Sjorge450R
06-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
If he's changing the oil after 2-5 hours of ride time I doubt it's old dirty oil contaminating the new oil.

I change my oil after every 3 rides. I can see through it for ride 1 and 2, after the 3rd ride it's dark.

If he was going longer on the oil changes then I'd say it could be that, but if hes really changing it after 2-5 hours I don't see how it could be.

well if he let it get black that black oil is still gonna be in the motor. If he is like you or me and change it before its black, it will never get black. Like I said before, dont worry about it.

benroels
06-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I think for now, I will do the clutch and not worry about it!!