PDA

View Full Version : clutch replacement

benroels
06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Hey there everyone.

I just bought my old 450R back from my buddy and it is ready for the clutch to be replaced. I am on a bit of a budget, so I am thinking of getting those Tusk plates from RM-ATV. I have never replaced a clutch before. Could anyone let me know what to look for with the clutch basket etc?

Thanks much.

06-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I have one of those Tusk kits in my quad. No problems with it. Make sure you get new springs also.

It is a simple job. Drain the oil. Take off the cover. The gasket is an oring. You can probably reuse it or you can get a new one. Remove the 6 bolts and springs. After that you just slide the pressure plate off, then the friction and metel plates. The inner most fiber plate is different. It is thinner. Make sure you pay attention to that. Soak the new clutch in some clean trans oil before you install it. Don't install it dry. When you put it back together you start with the thin fiber then it's metal/fiber/metal/fiber and so on. You will end with a fiber also. Put the pressure plate and the new springs. Then tighten it down. Be careful, it is easy to break the hub if you over torque the bolts.
Good Luck.

the Z Man
06-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Check the basket fo rgrooves in the fingers, this will make it hard to find neutral if its too bad..

benroels
06-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Excellent! Thanks everyone. Sounds simple enough.

Benjithx
06-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Would you guys suggest getting a CRF clutch kit without the judder spring and an extra friction instead of the TRX kit for five more bucks?

I am thinking about it...

Benjithx
06-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Guys???

the Z Man
06-09-2008, 07:22 AM
I have never tried one, I only run stock.

sunco
06-10-2008, 06:29 AM
OEM is how I replace stuff

chris46250r
06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Benjithx
Would you guys suggest getting a CRF clutch kit without the judder spring and an extra friction instead of the TRX kit for five more bucks?

I am thinking about it...

Yes that or what I did was order a fiber and just replaced the juder spring and small fiber with the new one.

pro-rider46
06-12-2008, 06:56 PM
yeah when i replace my clutches, im am using the tusk wiht hd springs for a crf