PDA

View Full Version : Steering Stabilizer & 4:1 Wheels - Protrax Specific

havinnoj
06-07-2008, 03:08 PM
The issue I want to correct is the constant minor twitches in the steering on the sand. They aren't grabbing or jarring. Is this caused by the offset?

250R, Pro-Trax +3's on a standard width frame, and 22x11x10's on 3:2 wheels.

Is there a stabilizer that works better for the soft jerks?

400exrider707
06-09-2008, 08:38 AM
4:1 wheels would help get rid of the feeling some, but I think a stabilizer would be the most beneficial. You can also try adjusting your castor as well. That could help too, based on your style of riding and the terrain you're riding on.

havinnoj
06-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Any others?

bradley300
06-12-2008, 04:19 AM
i have to agree with the first response. if you can adjust your caster, do that first since its free. you need to tilt the spindle back, which will add caster. if that dosent do it, the most beneficial thing would be a cheap stick style stabilzer

250Renvy
06-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Do you have a stabilizer on it already? If not a stabilizer is a must.

4:1 wheels on a stock front frame would be best with the pro-trax and are mostly designed for them.

havinnoj
06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Guys- The caster is fixed on these a-arms.

No stabilizer yet and am debating going with a stick style or a precision...

havinnoj
06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Guys- The caster is fixed on these a-arms.

No stabilizer yet and am debating going with a stick style or a precision...

ALAMX37
06-21-2008, 10:50 AM
There's your problem, any extended a-arms are going to have a lot of twitch without a stabilizer.

kodymx13
06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
i have a pro trax. i dont run a stabilizer. hate them. only use them on sand tracks. i run 4-1 itp bajas and pass tech everytime. i even run stock suzuki wheels and slide through

400exrider707
06-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by ALAMX37
There's your problem, any extended a-arms are going to have a lot of twitch without a stabilizer.

Untrue, it's all in setup. Offset wheels and your castor adjustments play a huge role in this.

matt250r21
06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
It sucks that on a stock width 250R frame with +3 T-pin arms and 4:1 rims you are only at 48 inches wide. Anyone else notice this?

As far as a stabilize, I never use one either. I tried a Denton stick type and it seemed to make the sterring feel heavy and slow to me.

deathman53
06-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I have a stock frame and +3 t-pin. Its 49" wide, it must be in how I have the camber setup. I didn't have a stabilzer on it, it was alittle twitchy, nothing bad, tho. It turned very quickly, don't like that. I put a stabilzer on it today to hopefully slow down the turning, I had to countersteer big-time on turns. Almost like the countersteering when riding a trike. I like steering with the rear wheels and turning the bars for the counter steering needed, not the large amount of countersteering combining the quick steering and how I steer with the rear wheels. I like slower steering for mx, quick steering for xc.

400exrider707
06-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I have a stock frame and +3 t-pin. Its 49" wide, it must be in how I have the camber setup. I didn't have a stabilzer on it, it was alittle twitchy, nothing bad, tho. It turned very quickly, don't like that. I put a stabilzer on it today to hopefully slow down the turning, I had to countersteer big-time on turns. Almost like the countersteering when riding a trike. I like steering with the rear wheels and turning the bars for the counter steering needed, not the large amount of countersteering combining the quick steering and how I steer with the rear wheels. I like slower steering for mx, quick steering for xc.

You could make the upper arms castor adjustable. You simply grind down the upper mounts so they have some slack where they mount to the frame, then get some spacers made up to throw in the extra room and adjust the spacer thickness accordingly. Should be able to get a few degrees of adjustment out of them then, that is if you are willing to grind on a nice set of arms like those...