PDA

View Full Version : big bore kit setup. whos got what

madmartin
06-06-2008, 12:16 PM
I see alot of people stepping up to the big bore kits. Was wondering what everyone is doing along with the kits 440, 426, etc. I currently run the 440 with a ported head, stg2 hotcam, k&n in an open box, power bomb header, and a PC t-4. I'm currently using the stock carb with choke removed. Anyone run something similar ? have you tried a different carb, ignition, or ?? Any good tuning tips.

brokenmike
06-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I got a 440,old stage 2 Hot Cam, intake spacer, ported head, FMF exhaust. power bomb and power core 4, 8oz lightened flywheel, Dyna FS ignition,open airbox and a uni airfilter. I put the 04 TRX450r carb on it and it has more power and revs quicker. I like the dyna FS programmable ignition. I noticed a differencewith that and the lightened flywheel too. I also have a oil temp dipstick to see my oil temp. I don't know much else to do, make sure your clutch is not sliping,and keep it running cool.

madmartin
06-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Hah i'm in williamstown too. Have you ever entertained the idea of bigger valves or do you think the stocks flow well enough? I'm glad to see the bigger carb helps. I see it's recommended but not needed. I have never had a problem with heat, I dont' use scoops, an extra cooler, or any extra method of cooling the quad. I also have the 12.5:1 piston and just run pump in it. I'll dump alittle octane boost in on race day but i don't see where everyone gets the mentality the kits are a money eating waste. I think the kits are reliable and a good alternative. Do yah think the ignition was worth the cost? I have also seen the intake spacer on ebay. Looks like the stock boot without the rubber boot covering it. How'd that help?

brokenmike
06-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Lol... It's a small world.. We should go riding sometime. I looked into bigger valves, but they are going to cost alot of money to put them in. I would like to have them. I would have to get them put in one of my spare heads and get it ported also. When I beat the crap outta it for 30 minutes the oil temp is about 300...Then I just let it cool for about 15 minutes. I got a 11:1 piston in mine and it pings when I run 93 octane in it, so I run half 93 and half 112 and it runs great. I love the power that my 440 has. My quad has been togeather since 2003 with NO problems. I got a good deal on the ignition and the programming kit, but I do like it cause I can adjust the rev limit and ignition curves. Actually I made my own intake spacer about 2 years ago. I think it gained a little but not much to go and get one.

bigballz400
06-10-2008, 08:27 AM
weisco 440 12:1 stage 2 port and polish open K&N (no air box) stock carb

i have tryed a flat cr and didnt like it....it wouldnt idle jus wanted to run wide open

supraloud84
06-11-2008, 05:12 AM
I have the 11:1 440 kit, stg2 hotcam, p&p, fcr carb, full hmf exaust, aftermarket cdi box and a k&n with an open air box. I run air scoops on my machine and it seems to keep it cool enough so far. The only thing that I dont like a bout it is that it is super finicky a jetting when it comes to minor temp changes. 5-10 degrees can make all the difference from running great to runnin pig rich

BossmanEX
06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Im currently in the middle of a major parts swap. For the last two years Ive been running the following:

JE 416 12:1 compression piston
p&p head w/ HD valves, springs, retainers etc.
Hotcams stage II (old style)
White Bros. CDI
K&N filter in aluminum airbox w/o lid
Full HMF exhaust
15/36 sprocket
22 inch carlisle badlands on the rear
aluminum air scoops

Ive been thru 3 sets of head gaskets, timing set and burnt valves/seals over the last two years. Now that all the machine work is done Ive decided to change the following parts:

Weisco 416 11:1 compression piston
Sparks X-2 drop in cam
GT thunder head studs
Same headwork
Back to stock CDI
UNI filter w/ aluminum air box, no lid
Same exhaust
14/38 sprockets
20 inch razr 2's out back

Im hoping that buy dropping the compression and adding HD head studs I will lower the operating temp a few degrees and eliminate the head gasket problem. I went with the lower gearing and smaller tires to increase the bottom end torque for climbing and trail riding. I hope to be riding again within the week and Im hoping for a bottom end beast! With the old mods I could trail ride but I would find myself clutching alot to keep rpms up in the powerband. I tried a Magnum cam stage II when the timing chain broke and I just dont like the stage II cams. It was a mean ride top end and for drag racing but it didnt suit my needs on the trails.

madmartin
06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Seems like everyone likes the stage 2 cam and port work. The exhaust and intake all seem to be givens. I have to say the head studs seem to be a weak link and worth replacing. I thought the stg2 cam was good for lower and mid power, and i don't seem to be lacking any pull. Even when i roll through a turn a little too slow in third the quad pulls out hard with little throttle. I think given the chance i would have stuck the 11:1 in there as well. the heavy duty timing chain also sounds like a benefit. What size carbs are people using. Brokenmike likes the trx carb and i beleive they used a 42mm. If anyone tried the eichner edelbrock, or another carb let me know.

Wheelie
06-11-2008, 08:04 PM
My sig shows my setup. The 450R Carb is a great setup once it's dialed in, although it does take a few mods to make everything work smoothly, I.E--the choke, tank clearance and airbox boot.