View Full Version : racers break fluid?!?!

One_Bad_400
06-06-2008, 10:08 AM
so this weekend on around the 8th lap in my Pro-Lites race my break fluid started boiling and my front breaks went out and ended up costing me my race... stock bikes run DOT4... i was wondering if any of ya'll run DOT5 to keep it from boiling so easy or do ya'll just change ya'lls break fluid every few races?!?!

pro-rider46
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
heres all my knowledge about brakes. Dot 4 is decent fluid, it keeps water out better than dot 3 does. Dot 5 is superior because its silicone and does not asorb water whats so ever. also looks cool because its purple. you cant mix dot 5 with dot 4 or 3 tho. you can mix dot 4 and 3. Your supposed to replace the brake fluid pretty often. its supposed to be clear, but water gets in it and turns a gold color. and water boils and creates steam which has air in it. and air compresses so your brakes are spongy and dont work. so replacing your fluid with a dot 5 should fix your problem.

400exrider707
06-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I was under the impression that DOT5 had a LOWER boiling point? Maybe I'm wrong. There is also such a thing as 5.1 too. I did a lot of research on this a couple years ago, there is a wealth of info out there on it. When I get back home on sunday night, I'll see if I can dig up the article on it. Also a fun fact about break fluid, there are only three manufacturers of break fluid. THREE!!! Every single bottle you see came from one of those three, no matter how it was badged! At least that's how it was when I read the article.