PDA

View Full Version : Battery in airbox or not?

Stroker Ace
11-30-2002, 10:45 AM
I need experienced opinions on the best battery locations for the 400ex.

I've heard that if you leave the battery in the stock location, it can bend the frame.(for mx riders), but if you move it to an aftermarket airbox, you are limiting airflow.

I'm building a FDO 493 stroker with a 41mm FCR, and I certainly don't want to inhibit airflow!

Any suggestions?

11-30-2002, 03:22 PM
i dunno if it would bend the frame maybe the subframe but i dont even think it would bend that

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-30-2002, 03:47 PM
Well I heard people say having the battery in the stock location causes the subframe to bend, but then I hear having the battery in the airbox makes that (the airbox) more prone to breaking because of the added weight :huh

Stroker Ace
11-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Well, I would get an aftermarket airbox and put the battery in there, I'm just concerned with restricting airflow. Should I even have any concerns about airflow:confused: :confused:

Who has a race proven battery position that I can count on?
I realize that stuff breaks and bends, I'm just trying to save myself a little work:square

Fleshwound
11-30-2002, 04:22 PM
i would say put the battery in an aftermarket airbox.
most of em dont have lids so i doubt there would be limited airflow. i am goin to run mine this way with a k&n and outerwear.

DESDAK4
11-30-2002, 10:29 PM
I have rode with several people that have the aftermarket boxes with the battery in them and they work great and you don't losr any airflow that would matter. Also CFM has a new design out that has a lid that bolts on amd uses the snorkle. That is the one I am getting.

Jay
USAF

TrX465
11-30-2002, 10:54 PM
i extended my lines and welded and fitted everything under the front plastic.. so you see nothing and the wieght is more in the front....yes the rear sub-frames have been known to break i broke mine once....but i havent heard of anyone in a while

OutlawEX
12-01-2002, 01:43 PM
When i was running my 400ex motor i used a CFM_PErformance and it held up great...The batter was int he box so it centerd the weight,Id get a CFM Airbox or else you are going to bed ur subframe for a fact if you any MX