PDA

View Full Version : KTM first gear !?!?!?!?!?!?!?

reptikes
06-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I currently have a 04' trx450r. When i ride other peoples quads their gears seem short compared to mine (biggest difference in first gear). Now my question, who has ridden a 450r a lot and can tell me if first gear in the 525 XC or 450 XC is long like the 450r. I dont like the short first gear, and i don't know if maybe one of the 2 has a long first gear and 1 has a short first gear.

krt400ex
06-06-2008, 08:21 AM
its funny that most people think that having a tall first gear is a problem but you like it in the 450R. the '04-05 450Rs 1st was geared very tall, and the common fix to the problem was to drop a tooth on the front sprocket. you could add a tooth to the front sprocket of another machine to make first taller, but you would also be making every other gear tall too. i have the feeling that you only want a taller first though.

to be honest, i liked the tall first on the earlier 450R's that i rode. it wasnt a problem to me...it was actually an asset. when i rode it, i never had probs stalling it in tight trails like other people did, and i didnt need to clutcch it excessively either

CannondaleRider
06-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Don't use first gear on the KTM....problem solved.

First gear means you're going to slow. :p

Just kidding..of course.

dehner47
06-06-2008, 08:56 AM
not trying to be rude,but why would you be using first gear?the only time first gear should be use is to cruz the pits or something along those lines..

Scro
06-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by dehner47
not trying to be rude,but why would you be using first gear?the only time first gear should be use is to cruz the pits or something along those lines..

Maybe he races tight XC where you are in first 50% of the time;)

fastredrider44
06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Scro, Other than the occasional section, like tornado alley at Gamaliel, we don't run in first all the time, and I'm pretty convinced that Mid-South is some of the tightest racing there is.

fastredrider44
06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that the ktm is similar to a typical 450. It has a semi close ratio trans, and is a five speed. I have a ktm bike 525 that is a wide ratio six speed, and first gear feels decently long.

dehner47
06-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Maybe he races tight XC where you are in first 50% of the time;)

i guess your right.i never really run in the trails so i guess i should keep my mouth shut.

BlaineKaiser450
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
i personally have never found the tall gearing to be a problem. I guess you could just drop a tooth in the front sprocket

reptikes
06-07-2008, 10:07 AM
My thing is Hill Climbs. The end of my Second gear is the end of Third gear on a lot of quads i ride with. My first Gear is long enough, that on big hills that are rutted, rooted, or technical i can get low in first and have some decent speed in first when i need it with out shifting back and forth between first and second.

(Im running a 13 tooth front sprocket right now, didn't shorten my gears that much)