PDA

View Full Version : What reed setup is this??

wes350x
06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
These reeds came off of a built 89 250r I just bought. I changed them to a set of vforce 3 setup I bought off of ebay that were supposed to be practically new. With (i assume) the stock reeds it ran fine. When I put the Vforce in it really sputters and runs like crap in 1/2-full throttle. Is this the stock reed cage that I posted a pic of and does anyone have suggestions on the vforce reeds?

wes350x
06-05-2008, 05:36 PM
another

TheNewn
06-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, pretty sure that's the stock reed cage with the stock reeds. I just pulled mine out a few days ago and had a look.

I assume you'd need to change the jetting when going to Vforce reeds, maybe? I dont know, i have the stock cage with boyesen dual stage reeds if i remember correctly.

TheNewn
06-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Also, make sure everything is sealing correctly, no air leaks of any kind, especially around the area you messed with (reed cage gaskets and what not).

Try to narrow down the possibilities.

my88r
06-05-2008, 08:42 PM
what kind of riding do you do??

i ride in the woods. i had the vforce 3 it was junk. put the stock reeds in it ran great. i also have boyesen power reeds for the stock cage. but haven't put them in yet.:D

All250R
06-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Hope I can help here. That's not a TRX cage. It looks like the Honda CR cage though, probably a 90's model. There is a a stuffer built into the stock boot that stuffs that big hole. TRX cages have 6 petals and a flat plastic stuffer and flat faced boot (no stuffer).

So V-Force. I've laid my hands and eyes on about 5 of them and many of them including a brand new v3 had spaces under the reeds right out of hte box. The cages are plastic and sometimes the reed surface is not flat. THe last v3 I had shown enough light to read in almost, exaggeration but it was very bad considering there are 8 petals with most of htem showing light. Delta 2's in the batches I've had weren't as bad as that v3.

ESR cages are machined aluminum by contrast and will have no such problem because all the metal surfaces are very flat! However, there are machining irregularities... blah blah.

Basically each construction method has it's problems. To get hte most of the intended design, if you have gaps under your reeds is to modify hte cage and get it to spec - sort of "blueprinting" the cage. I'm not un-confident that the v3 could be a great cage if it's problems are fixed.

Lastly, the CR cage from Honda really is an excellent, excellent part especially the cages like that one where the flow radiuses are built into the stuffer to eliminate flow problems in plastic stuffer cages, like what you'll have with v-force and ESR. BY the way, I haven't found a boot yet that matches the ESR opening. Custom porting of a CR cage is what ESR does to get something to fit it. It's not a great match when you get it in the mail.

TheNewn
06-05-2008, 10:19 PM
You're right, now that i look at it closely, there are several differences between that and the stock cage i have. whoops...i need to pay better attention.

wes350x
06-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Yea my dumb a** cut the extra rubber pieces that went into the reeds so I could use the vforce reeds. My question now is should I be better just to order new reeds for the cr cage and a new intake with the rubber pieces on it or should I just buy a whole new set up of reeds. I just purchased a billet intake off of ebay for 60$ so I can use the v force and it still runs like crap. The vforce I noticed did have slight gaps in the reeds where I can see light through it.

All250R
06-06-2008, 01:20 AM
I don't know if it came out when I chimed in before, but intake boots that don't match are going to limit the capability of the reeds and to some degree the whole motor. If you don't get fuel in efficiently, then what do you have?

If you post some pictures of your intake setup guys here can probably make a recommendation. If hte billet boot, or the CR boot for that matter don't match perfectly you're creating more turbulence in the intake than you want. There are enough bridges, ports and changes of direction in the motor to get the charge above the piston already to make it worse by choking entry with turbulence at a mismatched intake boot. Unfortunetely companies like tassinari and esr don't take the time required to help you iron out this detail. THey just tell youto cut the tabs off the CR boot. I've called then on a copule occasions hoping to get a different answer from them (tassinari) and it seems for the life of them, they can't tell me which CR boot to match to their CR cage. I think that's pretty eye opening. By the way too, like I said before the boot ESR sells to match to their cage is a CR boot ported (roughly). It does not have the porting work put into it needs to flow to potential. Gases don't flow to potential over ripply surfaces, not to mention the mismatch between boot and cage openings.

I think either of the cages you have will perform well. You just have to either fix the v-force so the reeds sit flat and change or modify the boot to fit the opening, or change hte reeds on the CR boot and get a new Honda boot with the stuffer. Either of those routes will let you proceed on the path of looking for performance in other areas. "Blueprinted" motors are the basics. You've got to start with problem areas like this first.

atvmxr
06-06-2008, 07:40 AM
looks alot like my FMF Ram valve... :ermm:

wes350x
06-06-2008, 07:50 AM
I think Im gonna but new reeds for the cr cage and buy a new intake boot with the stuffers. I ran fine before with that set up but of course I wanna start changing things. The Vforce reed system seems to complicated and Ive tried to set the reeds already, with no luck. Now my problem is to try to find out what year is the cr cage. Thanks guys

All250R
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Try fleabay. Here is the search I use when I'm looking for CR intakes (CR250*, "CR 250*") (reed, cage, reedcage, boot, manifold)

You can get these cages pretty cheap used. So you might be able to get a whole new setup for cheaper than a new boot from Honda would cost.

It's been a little while but that cage looks like the 97-98 variety if I remember correctly. I'd try ebay first though.

Good luck.
Jason

C-LEIGH RACING
06-06-2008, 03:12 PM
For most all types of riding except for drag racing, the Boysene Rad Valve is your best route.
Rad Valve, has a built in intake manifold with rubber tube & only one intake gasket needed to mount it to the cylinder.
For a fully modified Rad Valve, for more flow, go with the intake system from FTZ Racing. Just a Rad Valve opened up inside without the directional bars inside.
Neil

wes350x
06-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Yea I think I narrowed it down from the 88-98 cage, at least from the pics from e bay. What would be the best setup some drag but mostly just riding sand and fields. They have a 300ft strip by my house I wanned to try out.

C-LEIGH RACING
06-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Kinda hard to set up for both.
For drag the V force should work ok, but for the woods & play you need reeds like stock, Boysene 2 stage or CR type reeds that are not as thick that wiill respond faster to throttle openings.
Neil

wes350x
06-07-2008, 08:51 AM
I think Im just gonna put new reeds on the cr cage. What Boyesen reeds are better? carbon fiber or the power reeds?

C-LEIGH RACING
06-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I would get the regular 2 stage power reeds. Those carbon fiber reeds cost more & dont last as long as the regular fiberglass.
Neil