PDA

View Full Version : Last ride...for now

300exOH
06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Just sold my last quad yesterday so it looks like it will be my last ride for a while. I'm gonna miss it but it's just too friggin expensive for me these days. Guess it's finally time to move on. I'll still drop in here now and then to say hi but probably not every day like I have since 2001.:ermm:

Now I just need to figure out what to do with that big empty space in the garage where the quads use to sit.

Just want to say thanks to everyone on the site for all the help and good reading over the years. I may pick up another quad in the future but for now it looks like it might be a while.

Special thanks to Harlen and all the mods for keeping this the best atv site on the web.

-Scott

Sjorge450R
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I feel ya. I am doing the same thing shortly. To expensive any more. Parts and fuel. Everything is going up and making it too hard to even think about racing. Its kinda hard to give up something that you absolutely love doing.

Pappy
06-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Very sorry to hear this scott, but its understandable. Keep in touch with us please, I hate it when folks leave and never come back to fill us in on how their life is working out!

TRUE
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I am considering selling my bike and quad:(

Hondamaster5505
06-04-2008, 02:04 PM
I would NEVER get out of this sport.

Even if I rode less.

And if I had a race bike, id put it closer to stock with stock compression so its more dependable, and can run pump.

sorry to hear about your loss

trx400EXtreme
06-04-2008, 02:17 PM
^^you say that now, but things come up, and sometimes your froced to things you dont want to do.

<DRS>GPF
06-04-2008, 02:19 PM
i feel your pain, our "gang" was talking about gas and how much its going to hurt this season..

probably avg. $150 in fuel per trip, not including the quads fuel.

soon itll be $20 to fill up the EX on regular.. heck i fill 3 quads and a bike when the whole family get involved.. ow..

300exOH
06-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Ya it's just getting too tough to make time and set enough money aside to ride anymore.

Yes it is hard to give it up but other priorities have to take first seat. I'm going to miss it and so are the wife and kids. Maybe someday we'll be back on the trails. If gas ever drops back down to below $3 a gal. I might pick up another quad...maybe a 4x4 next time....or maybe a rhino/razor.

Pappy- Don't worry I'll be dropping in from time to time to see how everyone is doing. The site has been a big part of my life now for over 7 years so why quit now...

trx400EXtreme- Very true...I never thought I would give up riding but sometimes life takes a turn and you do what you have to.

At least the money from the quad is going to good use...I'm leaving for myrtle beach in 2 days for a whole week. Condo right on the beach and everything...:devil:

I'm sure at some point I'll regret selling the quads but for now it's the only option.

Thanks for the support folks...

Quad18star
Sometimes you just have to do whats in your best interest. I actually enjoy the 4x4 more than I did the YFZ .... it's more relaxing and a bit easier on th wallet.

When the YFZ was sold , I went back to sports that I previously enjoyed , such as fishing and hunting. They had taken a back seat the the quads over the years ... but now I'm enjoying them more and more often.

dehner47
good luck bro in anything you get involved in.

MOON
06-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah you don't really know how good you have it intil you lose it. I hope you'll never outgrow sport riding, and when you can afford it again you will get back into it. The best of wishes & the best of luck to ya.

kawiefan
06-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by dehner47
good luck bro in anything you get involved in.

300exOH
06-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Sometimes you just have to do whats in your best interest. I actually enjoy the 4x4 more than I did the YFZ .... it's more relaxing and a bit easier on th wallet.

When the YFZ was sold , I went back to sports that I previously enjoyed , such as fishing and hunting. They had taken a back seat the the quads over the years ... but now I'm enjoying them more and more often.

Yep...gotta do what you gotta do. I think the 4x4 thing is more my speed these days. ...getting older sux. The body can't take it any better than the wallet can anymore. I don't think I'll ever outgrow the urge to rip it up now and then but I'm sure it won't be like it was 10 or 15 years ago.

I've actually been thinking about hunting and fishing again myself. At least then I'm still hangin out in the woods...after all that's what it's all about right? Plus I think it will fit into the budget a little more easily...although a 4x4 quad would be nice to get back into places. lol

KXRida
06-05-2008, 06:13 AM
sorry to hear man! I'm done riding for the summer already. I ended up breaking my back last week, so I can't ride all summer. If I had an extra quad or something I'd say come over to Pa and ride! Well if you feel like riding a bear tracker or a polaris sportsman, you're more than welcome haha.

300exOH
06-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
sorry to hear man! I'm done riding for the summer already. I ended up breaking my back last week, so I can't ride all summer. If I had an extra quad or something I'd say come over to Pa and ride! Well if you feel like riding a bear tracker or a polaris sportsman, you're more than welcome haha.

Wow...sorry to hear about your back....hope everything heals up okay. Thanks for the offer...I'll keep ya in mind. PA isn't too far away. lol

Best of luck to you.

250Renvy
06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Well you are not alone, look at all the quads and bikes and every other motorized sport toy and the top reasons for selling are - NO money, NO time, NO place to ride then possibly injuries.

When you race, after a couple years you start to look back and calculate how much you have spent and sometimes it'll floor you. It is an expensive hobby and I'm surprised so many people can afford it. I once talked to a guy selling his 250R and he said over the years he had spent 250K+ on racing. All he had to show for it was a few aches and pains from broken bones and some good memories.

No matter how old or big you are, my advice would be to just pick up a 300ex again down the road for $1500 or so and just ride it lightly when you feel like it, it's at least something and not that much money sitting doing nothing if you end up not being able to ride.

Anyway good luck and best wishes.

biker
06-05-2008, 09:28 AM
250renvy!! that is exactly why i have talk myself out of racing! i enjoy just free riding in the woods! it sucks that times are getting tough like this that people have to give up what they love!:( it's what keeps us sane outside of work and daily life issue's! goodluck Scott

300exOH
06-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone... I never did any racing and it really wasn't that expensive to own the quad...what was killing me is the fact that all the decent riding areas are so far from home. Without a local place to ride the quad was just a big expensive dust collector most of the time. I maybe got to ride 3-4 times a year...tops. Now with gas prices so high it's hard to come up with the gas money plus when I have to travel that far I end up having to pay for lodging as well. If I do buy another quad it will either be a stock 400ex or maybe a 400-500cc 4x4 Ute.

Maybe someday... As you can see I haven't forgotten about quads...I'm still hanging around here now and then at least.

I have to admit it's been a little tough to go out to the garage and see the empty spot where the quads were. :ermm:

Ghost-Rider
06-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Thats to bad to hear. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. And it's pointless to let it sit around and collect dust.

06-18-2008, 10:48 PM
yeap times are getting tough, sad to see someone that was part of the sport and such for so long and had to stop. i spent my saving on buying a quad and stuff instead of a car lol